Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mayrhofen Austria

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Guys,

The Missus and I are looking at going to Mayrhofen in March for a week (Around the 26th) as it's the only time we can get free this season except for weekend trips up north.

She's an advanced intermediate and I'm hoping to get her onto some difficult reds mid way through the week and I'd really like to get on a few good blacks while I'm there.

My only worry is that since we're going so late in the season the conditions might not be great on the more advanced runs.

Has anyone been to Mayrhofen in March at all that could maybe shed some light?

Thanks!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
head up to the hintertaux glacier. should be ok up there i would of thought . not been in march though.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Skudd, Of course, it depends on the weather. Sometimes we have had big snowfalls in March, other times it has been very warm... It's hard to say what next March will be like, though I would have thought there will be snow. And, as tim000, said, if it's really scratchy then you could always head up to Hintertux. The season would have to be really bad for Hintertux to be struggling for snow in March.
Sorry, that doesn't really help, does it?!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
March is the best month for skiing in Austria, IMO. I haven't skied in Mayrhofen, but even 'that late' in March you really shouldn't have a problem (and if for any reason you do, you've got the Hinturtux Glacier just up the road).
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Isn't an "advanced intermediate" someone who is comfortable on all reds and most blacks?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
patricksh, Probably, but that topic's been done before a few times...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
clarky999, probably, but I just want someone to reassure me that at last I am "advanced" (if only veggie advanced)
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've been to Mayrhofen on the final week of the season, on a poor season, and it was slushy but fine.

It'll be great.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've been a few times from late March to mid April and never had a problem, seen some big snowfalls too. The one and only time I skied the Harakiri was in April and it had plenty of snow on it.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Make sure you do a trip to the Hintertux glacier, the skiing up there is brilliant and the views are stunning. It's the best glacier I've been to.

If you like blacks, try Harakiri, that sorts the men from the boys.

I want to go back there and try it again because I did it so badly last time Embarassed

The black opposite (I think it's 17?) is a very nice run, it's only steep right at the end.

I don't remember the reds being too tough, but the main run back to the Penken gondola gets very mogulled at the end of the day.

Try the nice long red down to the valley from Ahorn, I'm sure your wife will be fine on that. Ahorn's lovely as well and the ice bar/hotel at the top is great for a relaxing beer.

latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We were there last year in march and the snow was great. Toofy Grin
I agree with Picadilly that you must visit the Hintertux glacier. The sking is great there.
Mayrhofen ski area is great and you can visit the Zillertal ski area too. Lots of options and it is so easy to get aound there.
I loved it Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for the help guys! Think we're going to book it quite soon in that case! Reviews look amazing. Is there a shuttle bus to the glacier?

patricksh, Sorry she is an advanced intermediate but her confidence is an issue... Hence why we have to build up through the week.

Piccadilly, those photos look amazing! Harakiri looks like it could be fun!

Little Angel

Thanks again!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Piccadilly, nice pics snowHead I think you are right about that black being no 17, a decent black with some fine views.

Skudd, as has been suggested, if you do go to Mayrhofen, it is well worth taking the train to Zell am Ziller, about 20 minutes down the track. All included on your ski pass - jump off train, onto the bus and 5 minutes later you're dropped off at the lift. Very easy.

There are some really great confidence-building runs there and it was generally quieter than Mayrhofen when I went.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
And from Zell am Ziller upfift and ski down to Gerlos.

Was in the Hoff second week in April this year, still plenty of snow.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Is Zell Am Ziller the resort where they have those massive insect sculptures on the piste?

I think we did a day trip to Zell, but it was in heavy snow so I didn't really see what the place was like!

Also, which is the nearby resort which has the mini roller coaster/toboggan? We went there too, but didn't have time to go on the coaster, I was gutted!

Skudd, enjoy, I'd definitely go back to the Hof, it's great place.
snow conditions
Quote:

Is there a shuttle bus to the glacier?

Yes, it goes from the railway station.
Quote:

those massive insect sculptures

That will be Hochzillertal, they are near the piste around the Kristal Huette.
Quote:

nearby resort which has the mini roller coaster/toboggan

That will be Zell am Ziller Smile
latest report
SaraJ, An excellent answer to Skudd and Picadilly's questions (not surprising given your location wink ). For those that don't know, the Hochzillertal ski area mentioned comprises the linked slopes of Kaltenbach and Hochfügen, and the Kaltenbach gondola base station is just a few hundred yards from the Kaltenbach Zillertalbahn train station.
snow report
SaraJ, thanks for clearing that up, I knew I'd been to Zell Am Ziller!

Will have to dig out a photo of the insects at Hochzillertal, they looked spooky in the heavy snow.
latest report
Loved the Hof, it is really easy getting around the valley via train or bus. we did both ends of the valley whilst there for a week from hintertux to gerlos. Great area with good pistes and great off piste after a dump.

vid of me on the Harakiri, did it 3 times in a row. Great fun but was a bit icy when i did it in Jan. You get to a tipping point where you cant stop and you are going to the bottom either by skiing or on your ass. Gravity deffo takes effect Happy

<iframe></iframe>

http://youtube.com/v/LKlKzvksw6o
snow conditions
March in Austria works just fine, I think, although if you can start early in the day that's a bonus.

This was at Flachau, 30th March 2012

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/71792931@N02/6893339666/]
ski holidays
Stay positive, pray to the snow god nightly, sacrifice a snowblade or two and all will be well...

Mayrhofen April 10th 2012

http://youtube.com/v/TM-CYH1HaUg&feature=g-upl
ski holidays
dulcamara, That looked like A LOT of fun!
snow report
it was... pretty much solid underneath though, but never turn down a massive 10 cm of fresh powder 2 days before the end of the season... beggars can't be choosers and us mayrhofners have had too many years of begging!!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy