Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How Phat Should I go?

Poster: A snowHead
I have a freind who thinks he might be better off with yet another set of planks for the coming season.

He has a set of B2's already, but a recent slalom ski purchase has him thinking that a fatter fella could replace the Rossi's and give a helping hand in the deeper stuff where the poor fellow struggles a bit.

But how fat is too fat? Line Prophet 130 do seem a litle excessive at 130mm, but would the new Head 88's at, er, 89mm be fat enough?

I, er He, has never skied anything wider than the B2's before so any advice or a list of possibles to test would be very helpful.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Why not the new B3, if he likes the B2? I think that's about 85mm. Or the Dynastar Legend 8800, or even the K2 Public Enemy which is about 85mm as well I think.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The B3 is looking like the most versitile ski for this winter. But if you want fat you won't go far wrong with the Vokll Gotama or the K2 Apache Chief. You could go plain silly with the Vokll Sumo, albiet only available in 175. Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
They should give him a good helping hand but as always he should try a few out before buying. Aside from width, the flex of skis makes quite a difference off-piste. The old head Monster 85s were the first "fat" skis I tried out. They felt like absolute tanks because they were pretty stiff. This makes them quite unforgiving.

It is quite a novel experience getting on a proper fat ski. I'd advise against going super fat if (as it sounds like) he isn't a very strong skier - although huge skis will be good off-piste, they will probably feel very unmanageable on. You can carve them on piste, but you need to make very positive movements which may not be what he's used to. I'd say something between 85 and 95mm underfoot with a relatively soft flex would be a good start. Other than the Heads he should consider things like the Dynastar Legend 8800, Rossi B4.

Next season, I expect to be on my Dyna Legend Pros (97mm under foot, similar sidecut and stiffness to a GS ski - not for the faint hearted!)all the time except for the race when I finally put to bed my fiance's claims that she can ski faster than me Skullie I like to ski off piste at every opportunity so the fact that they're a bit hard work on piste is a compromise I'm happy to make
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
That's one hell of a skier, whom claims to be able to ski better or quicker than someone who knows how to ski the Pro Rider! Twisted Evil
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, she's basing her opinion on my performance slightly too soon after having my ACL redone... she may be in for a surprise wink
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I would recommend you pop down to the hardware store to by some metalware and hinges for that knee, what bindings have you mounted on them? Twisted Evil
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
SMALLZOOKEEPER, nah - lots of gym work has got it pretty strong
got fritschi freerides on them. it's a bit of an experiment - they may not be burly enough to get the best out of them, but we'll see. can always stick some looks on if it comes to that
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
That's quite a popular set up in these here parts, shouldn't have any problems. Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
marc gledhill, How much skiing off-piste does your freind do ? Puzzled If it's whole weeks at La Grave or Alagna then phatter is better. If it's just the odd day in resort then the B2 should be fine, and a little practise will sort out the flotation... snowHead
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ski, the whole week is something I'm sure he's aspiring to and working towards. At the moment it's just the odd day in resort when the snows good and he can escape the family.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, good to hear - did agonise over it a bit.

ski, a little practice = going faster? wink
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Arno,

Quote:

a little practice = going faster

But of course ! snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
marc gledhill, Stay with the B2s then, maybe hire something phatter for the whole day.... For me the real benefit of phats is that they are much less tiring to ski, but IMHO that benefit only becomes apparent on the third of fourth day.

Last Dec Mrs Ski ski used her Phat Luvs (93mm), I was on X-Mountain Tours (68mm) - it was only after 4-5 days of contiunous off-piste (Mrs Ski likes soft snow) that I started to suffer........

The B2 is a great all-round ski, and (assuming it's not broken) why change it Puzzled

I have Intuitiv Bigs as well, but reserve them for LG
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ski, i just sold my Bigs. i miss them <sniff> Crying or Very sad
snow report
You've skied your pro riders? Twisted Evil
snow report
Arno, Great aren't/weren't they ? snowHead
snow conditions
SMALLZOOKEEPER, not yet - my last ski related act of last season was buying them. was looking for a bit of a step up from the old bigs

ski, they are/were. i had the old puke green and orange ones with the sort-of swallow tail. great to ski and very well made IMO
ski holidays
Gotamas? Only if you are a strong and good skier I would think. Not a 'forgiving' ski. Fat, but you need to know what you are doing.
snow conditions
marc gledhill, your 'friend' could also consider the Line Elizabeth (waist 110) or the ninthward THA 187 (waist 109) or the Movement Powpow (92). I have no idea how any of these perform but it serves to illustrate the product coverage there is in the fat sector these days.
snow conditions
The Elizabeth is really forgiving, and very nippy on piste considering its size.

THA 187 is alot burlier, a la Gotama, and takes quite a bit of effort to ski.
ski holidays
marc gledhill, if your friend were going to be in an area known for powder this season, perhaps he could demo some skis while there.

Then maybe go down to the nearby city, and buy them at one of the many shops there.
latest report
(then again, your friend might win a pair of K2 skis in a raffle while there...)
snow report
Or perhaps you could go avant garde and invest in one of these:

http://www.duretskis.com/index.php?idarticle=147 Shocked Shocked
latest report
Or if he wants even fatter, invest in two, and mount one binding on each!

(do people actually still use the ph spelling of phat?)
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat, Mmmmm, I'll have have to tell him of your cunning plan.

zammo, or there again, perhaps not. Shocked

MagSeven, only in't North. Unless they're taking the p!ss of course wink Remember the old Not The Nine O'Clock News sketch, "I have a freind who thinks he's fat...."?

ski, I hear you, so I'll let him know.
latest report
marc gledhill,

More new skis??!!

Bearing in mind you rarely to get more than a few powder days in a couple of weeks' holidays I'd just hire them when you need them. A day's ski hire is only about £20 and then you'll always be on the latest model!
snow conditions
beanie1, NO! that's just too logical! I bet you've never run carrying scissors Evil or Very Mad

Remember, he who dies with the most toys wins snowHead
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
marc gledhill, if your friend was going somewhere well known for getting 50%+ powder days at the end of January, then rent, but bear in mind that buying may well be a very good idea... Wink
ski holidays
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
(then again, your friend might win a pair of K2 skis in a raffle while there...)

Sorry Marc but there's a clause in the raffle that says the skis can only be won by left handed overweight scousers. Can't be too many of them going to ESA though wink
ski holidays
spyderjon, Shocked rubbish. You're not lefthanded Laughing

Wear The Fox Hat, I like the cut of yer jib.
latest report
marc gledhill, Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy