Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Insoles under foot beds

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
After a long time off over the summer I have recently started dry skiing again. My zipfit liners were starting to feel a little packed out after 4 weeks last season and a few dry sessions (CEM had fitted these as I was unhappy with the heel hold and overall fit of the stock liners).

To solve some of this problem I have inserted the shoddy plastic insoles that I use in my army boots underneath my orthotics. Is this advisable? I realise it may somewhat alter how my foot and ankle sit in the boot and how the orthotics sit in the zipfit liners. Essentially it ought to just raise the footbed by about 1mm all over. However so far so good; my boots just feel a little tighter around the top of the instep and my ankle still feels well locked into the heel pocket

So boot gurus what is the likely effect of raising the footbed inside the liner a little?

Meantime I shall try it out on plastic and see how I like it.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Have you been skiing with them like that yet?

Sounds like a recipe for disaster for me. Surely it's just something else that can make it easier for movement inside the boot, which will lead to pain.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You can add more cork/gel material into the zipfits to improve heel hold if you want to. Speak to CEM who will be happy to advise.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
smokeyjack2000, packed out after 4 weeks? That's a bit unusual.

Where did you get them done?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
CEM did them for me last winter. And yeah they just feel a looser than they did initially now so I have had to knotch up the buckles. I have heard of injecting more gel into the zipfits until I can get that done I thought I would experiment with these inners which are basically cross hatched dupont plastic.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
smokeyjack2000, if only for the time being while you wait to see CEM....I'd put the thin even thickness packing between the bootboard and the liner, it would be more stable and won't stretch the liner like the internal packing might cause.
ski holidays
 cran
cran
Hmmm... I was thinking of getting zipfits as my standard liners packed out in 3 months last season...

But if they only last a month it's not worth it, are you sure your boots aren't too big?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've used zip fits for a few years. Current pair are now in their second boots (after being reheated for the new pair) and show no signs of packing down. Reckon there's 40-50 weeks use in them.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
gatecrasher, I reckon that packing between the bootboard and liner will result in quite a lot of movement compared to being held in between the footbed and the liner but I take your point on the liner stretching.

rob@rar, On a different note as a zipfit convert do you place your foot inside the liner before getting into the shells or do you slide in as with normal liners?

cran, In my personal experience they have been pretty damned comfortable but I dont feel they are quite so responsive as the Intuitions I had in my last boots. Possibly because they dont fill all the space in the shell.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
smokeyjack2000, yep apologies you are right, should have mentioned a few dabs of impact adhesive to hold them in place, only really meant as a temporary fix, I've glued rubber insertion to bootboards in my early ahem...experimental days but now just leave it to the experts & I'm sure if anyone can sort it.
..CEM can.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
smokeyjack2000 wrote:
rob@rar, On a different note as a zipfit convert do you place your foot inside the liner before getting into the shells or do you slide in as with normal liners?
I've tried liner first then shells, but just don't seem to have enough room in the shells to do that. So I put the boots on in the traditional way.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rob@rar wrote:
smokeyjack2000 wrote:
I've tried liner first then shells, but just don't seem to have enough room in the shells to do that. So I put the boots on in the traditional way.

I'm on my second pair of Zipfits now (I only changed when I changed boots) and have noticed very little packing out once fitted.

I just put them on as "normal" boots too.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
sounds like they need a little more cork injecting into them, we probably have to inject 1 in 10 pairs with a little to secure everything, first place is always the tongue

no problem adding a volume reducer shim either under the footbed or between the liner and the base board, the latter being the most effective

which liner is it and in what boot shell, there are 3 different volumes and your foot and the boot shell determine what works best for each individual, sometimes we have to go to a thinner liner than we would like as the skier will not tolerate the thickness of the suggested model, normally these are the ones we need to inject first

Quote:

Hmmm... I was thinking of getting zipfits as my standard liners packed out in 3 months last season...

But if they only last a month it's not worth it

they last a lot longer than that, 50 weeks + on average when in the correct size/volume shell
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

My zipfit liners were starting to feel a little packed out after 4 weeks

I don't think that's packing down - I think that's just the normal movement as the liners 'learn' your feet. I get two notches of loosening every time I ski my Speedmachines, one for the morning and one for the afternoon (but my feet get really hot when I'm caning it). By the following morning it's back to blood loss before they loosen up again. I would think it unusual to for any liner to pack out in that time frame.

Have you tried solid 'shell' heel inserts as used by racers to improve forward lean. I think they do them for Bandits and they are designed to fit the heel of the shell (think they have dimples or the like and are shaped for the shell) without slipping. They should improve your heel hold without changing your front foot position and they will not move like a plastic liner. I'd only suggest this if you are 75% + on piste - not advised for a powder hound or back woodsman.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks for all the responses. Im gonna give the shim a go tonight and report back. Sounds like I will need to book an appointment with CEM to get a little more goo injected into the zipfits to reinforce that vice-like heel hold.

I might as well explain my situation a little further I guess. I am 27 and a type 3 skier. Have done a fair few weeks over the years. Got CASI 1 and 2 on a season in Whistler a few years ago and more recently spent a season ski bumming in Morzine. I weigh 80-85kg depending on how much training I have been doing. For the last few years I have skied a lot of inbounds powder with a couple of inbounds skinning days thrown in. I sometimes dabble in the park and have been trying out Norwich freestyle nights on dry recently.

My boots are Nordica Ace of Spades and I dont like them as much as the Speedmachine 10s I used to have but they were the best of the bunch I tried on last season. CEM has fitted me with gucci cork footbeds and zipfit liners after my old footbeds started to look pretty well worn and I hated the stock Nordica marshmallow liner.

I ski on 179 Hellbents centre mounted, 179 Seth Vicious -2 from true centre and Liberty Phil La Rose 179 also true centre.

Looks like I am being drafted into some racing with work this winter so I'm gonna have to suck it up and get some performance boots as I doubt the AoS will cut it!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy