Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowboarding in uk on "snow days"

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, silly question but does anybody know where to snowboard on a "snow day" in the uk, preferably around the Surrey Hants border area.
Not bothered about lifts or tow ropes just looking for someone who has taken their snowboard out on a hill where sledding is popular.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
nkenny, Welcome to Snowheads! snowHead

I think some Snowheads have skied/boarded at Box Hill in Surrey (there may even be a video on here someone posted a year or two back).
Edit: Found it: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1407881&highlight=box+hill#1407881

Just a thought - if you are on the Surrey/Hants border there may be some suitable places up by the Hog's Back near Guildford?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
nkenny, Welcome to Snowheads

many years ago we used to go to Buster hill, I am not sure what the score is these days, but it used to be pretty good. Also used it for grass skiing back in the 80's Shocked

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butser_Hill
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
nkenny, Box hill or Leith hill are possibilities - AFAIK most of the land around hogs back is private.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I bumped this thread a couple of days ago. Inspiring stuff but not so local to you.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=59222&start=120
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi Guys, thanks for the replys.

I do have a trip planned for the 3 valleys next year but ever the opportunist i was thinking about the hogs back as that is 5 mins away from me but as Richard said it is probably private land and i dont want to upset any landowners.

It looks like Box Hill or Butser Hill for me then, lets hope we have some snow this winter.

Thanks again

PS: love the Aberdare, Brecon Beacons pictures and the Box hill one with the dog that made me chuckle.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Good stuff. I bought a board off ebay especially for this (it's old and a bit beat up, but I paid £6, so not too worried about scratching it). I have used it a few times over the past few years but find that you need something a bit steeper than you would in the real mountains, as the lack of a base (or more accurately, a base of grass) means the riding tends to be slower.

What I would be interested in is whether places like e.g. Box Hill is OK to get to in snowy conditions - my experience of the hills near me (Bromley/Kent area) has been that if there is enough snow to be able to ride, there is too much to really use the roads (I don't yet have snow chains for use in the UK).
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Last winter i skied on Oxted Down. Its the big hill to the left when heading east on the m25 just past junction 6. It is national trust land, a big reasonably steep grassy south facing slope with two road routes to the top.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Alastair Pink wrote:
nkenny, Welcome to Snowheads! snowHead

I think some Snowheads have skied/boarded at Box Hill in Surrey (there may even be a video on here someone posted a year or two back).
Edit: Found it: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1407881&highlight=box+hill#1407881

Just a thought - if you are on the Surrey/Hants border there may be some suitable places up by the Hog's Back near Guildford?

That Video's great, and the Dog takes the biscuit (or did he/she?)

Does anyone know of any "rideable" hills in the Stansted Airport area - tempted to ride the runway as I work down here (when the Airport's closed by the heavy dumps of snow I'M HOPING FOR THIS WINTER) but I doubt I'd get much speed up!!

Just been scanning OS maps online to find anything within about 10 miles and with a good run on it, but not had much joy so far!

This will help me convince the wife that buying a Snowboard for riding at Home while we have a 16-week old baby WAS a GREAT idea!! wink
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
suddenswerve, you have access to a large open area, snow moving equipment, and 4x4s. All you need is a tow rope and you've got yourself your own kicker park!

Next snowfall, everyone to suddenswerves office - We'll be the only ones getting air at Stanstead.
Welcome to SH btw.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Richard_Sideways wrote:
suddenswerve, you have access to a large open area, snow moving equipment, and 4x4s. All you need is a tow rope and you've got yourself your own kicker park!

Next snowfall, everyone to suddenswerves office - We'll be the only ones getting air at Stanstead.
Welcome to SH btw.

Ha ha, Richard_Sideways, you've got a crackin plan there - though I don't have enough clout to oficially use the 4x4's etc - may have to "Borrow" one of the snow-ploughs when we get the next BIG DUMP!! wink (Joke - Mr Fuzz/Armed Response Team)

There are some great hills (roads) near me which tend not to get cleared when we have a lot of snow, so I'm just hoping to get a chance to ride one of these (this one's 350-400m long with a good incline and wide road), it's normally impassable by car when snowy because it's so steep!!! wink)

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=great+dunmow&daddr=Braintree+Rd&hl=en&geocode=FZyEFwMd64QFACkPcNStOI3YRzFgY8K7qBwOBQ%3BFVV_FwMd0KYFAA&aq=&sll=51.871576,0.374479&sspn=0.009062,0.011952&vpsrc=6&mra=ls&ie=UTF8&ll=51.871059,0.36993&spn=0.009062,0.020127&t=m&z=16&iwloc=A&lci=com.panoramio.all&q=Braintree+Rd

- All depends on the depth though - otherwise I'll be grinding tarmac on any turns, may just go flat out tho and see where I end up at the bottom, I think there's a park to the left at the end so MAY be able to get enough edge to slide/jump/crash/tumble into that (or the river)!! wink

BRING ON THE SNOOOOOOOOOW!!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
When it snowed last year the Mrs and I got up early and I went to Brentwood dry ski slope for 4 inches of lift accessed in bounds powder.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Winterhighland's Backcountry section allows you to post reports. It is searchable by 'area' so look at the 'England' ones for inspiration http://www.winterhighland.info/touring/index.php?20,ENG
I've posted a few from down here in Sussex. Been out recceing new lines already!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Also, there's a "British Backcountry" group just started on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/502879386398375/
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
suddenswerve wrote:
Does anyone know of any "rideable" hills in the Stansted Airport area - tempted to ride the runway as I work down here (when the Airport's closed by the heavy dumps of snow I'M HOPING FOR THIS WINTER) but I doubt I'd get much speed up!!

Just been scanning OS maps online to find anything within about 10 miles and with a good run on it, but not had much joy so far!

There's not much north east of there - from Cambridge onwards it's fens, which are... somewhat flat. The closest I know of is Royston - Therfield Hill. It's a golf course so it's free of rocks and as far as I know it's public land so access is no problem. It's the local sledging hill for Cambridge (we're short on real hills).

Here's a dumb GoPro video from snowboarding earlier this year there.

Glad to hear STN is only closed by heavy dumps. LHR will close when there's zero snow on the tarmac, been there, done that.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy