Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Orres/please help resolving family 'where to ski' debate

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi Snowheads, your thoughts on Les Orres would be really appreciated.

Haven't booked our New Year ski trip yet and Les Orres is on our shortlist, (along with La Rosiere and Montgenevre). We are stuck with school holidays, wanting somewhere with good skiing for intermediates (& 'expert' teenagers!), but without overly crowded pistes and excessive lift queues.

Any comments on Les Orres in particular, as not so much info out there, particularly how snow sure at the end of December. Looking at Residence La Combe d'Or, anyone stayed there?

Thanks for your help, as always good at resolving our family 'where to ski' debate!!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have been to all three resorts but my trip to Les Orres was 20 yrs ago whereas the trips to La Rosiere and Montgenevre have been in the last 5 years.

I would say Les Orres is not as reliable for snow cover as the other two resorts you are thinking of - check which way the slopes face? The original ski village has a lot of basic and not very attractive ski apartments. There is now new accommodation higher up which looks much nicer. I went there with a university ski trip so I'd imagine it is one of the more affordable places to ski in France. It is not a good resort for beginners but that would not be a problem for you with older children who are intermediate level.

We have been with younger children to La Rosiere and Montgenevre and I would really recommend both resorts. Both have excellent snow records. Some very nice apartments (with pools, spa etc) have been built in both resorts in the past few years. We really like les cimes blanches in La rosiere and Le hameau des airelles in Montgenevre but there are other more expensive or cheaper options.

I think Montgenevre offers a greater variety of skiing than La Rosiere, more tree lined runs and there is scope to ski off round the Milky Way. Claviere is easy to get to and you can ski in Serre Chevalier for one day with the lift pass. Rest of the milky way a bit less accessible if you don't have a car.

We really like La Rosiere. There is one lovely long tree lined red in la rosiere itself and if you go to the san bernando and la thuile areas you will find enough skiing for a week. The runs directly above La rosiere are good for beginners but not very challenging for intermediates. La rosiere does get very cold at New Year (sometimes strong winds) and has some of the slowest lifts I have ever encountered.

I think if you are going with teens Montgenevre might have a bit more to offer all round than La Rosiere. Although if you want a cheap option Les Orres is probably more affordable.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy