Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Carte Neige

Poster: A snowHead
CARTE NEIGE: There have been a few changes in the cover provided this year... so surprise surprise, the underwriters themselves can't provide the full details until ca. October 12th (the new season, for insurance purposes, begins October 15th).

I shall have a copy of the 'small print' shortly afterwards, so I'll scan and add to a website asap.

Some guideline details:

Basic annual individual cover - 15.10.05 to 14.10.06 is approx £36 per person.

Basic family cover (minimum 4 people) approx £106 per family.

There are some options available for extra cover, I'll give details of them asap.

Some additional info - the Carte Neige has some extra 'national' benefits - last year they included discounts on EUROPCAR rentals, hire of equipment from SPORT 2000 and TWINNER, as well as on holidays at VVF VACANCES centres.

You could also get the huge sum of 15 euros off a pair of Salomon Streetracers last season, and for an order of 150 euros from SUN VALLEY, a free tee-shirt worth 30 euros Laughing

Local benefits as well - if you order your Carte Neige through my/Hannou's club (Les Arcs) for example, this coming season you are entitled to one free go on the Flying Kilometre piste, a free race entry in the Robert Blanc Derby (open to all, families welcome, at Arc 2000 on Feb 15th), and last but not least 10% off all ESF and ESI group lessons at 1600, 1800 and 2000...

Not bad for £36 quids' worth of peace of mind top-up insurance cover!!

If anyone wants to order a Carte Neige they can do so through me / the Les Arcs club - just as soon as I get the latest T & C's I'll put them up on the website....

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 1-11-05 15:14; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'll have one, thank you. Let me know how to order one when you get final details.

Is the Flying K compulsory? Shocked
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
PG, Thanks I am a definite and the other Three Bourgers are serious probables Very Happy snowHead
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:
Is the Flying K compulsory?
I'm just surprised an insurance company would be encouraging people to have a go!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
PG, Wow, the ESF discounts must be worth it alone .. now can you arrange for Swiss cover as well ? wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
eEvans, cover is worldwide though, for French/EU/Monaco/Andorra/Swiss citizens...
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
PG,

In practical terms I can see the advantage that Carte Neige would be to you on French pistes/mountains, ie instantly recognisable and
more than acceptable etc. No problem here, I would always use it with the lift ticket in France. But how does this 'advantage' transfer to Switerland and Austria and maybe Italy etc. By that I mean is it as widely regarded and accepted as it would be in France?

I say this - as a fellow traveller told me that for a claim they made, they had to go through Paris offices and they really had to speak French very well to cope with a claim. Nothing wrong in his, of course, and perfectly understandable, but would it be a problem for non-French speakers, ie Brits and Germanic speakers.!! Do they now have, or have they ever had an English speaking claim centre?

This was a long time ago, 10 yrs or so, and may be totally wrong or inaccurate, but would you think this might be a problem?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well the emergency service is handled by Mondial Assistance - best thing to do is ask them. I'll do that. They happen to do my breakdown insurance and were pretty efficient when I needed them once over the summer. I'm pretty sure they have Anglophone operators.

The cover is the same for the countries you mention, but how easily recognised is it? Well the competitors' carte neige version is the one all French club racers use abroad, so I reckon they're familiar with it - though I can't speak from experience.

My view is that for £36 or thereabouts anyone spending time on the slopes in Europe including at least one stay in France can't really go wrong.

*One other thing - when I did my shoulder earlier this year, I produced the carte neige for the secouristes etc - but I didn't have to talk to anyone at Mondial, nor have I since.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'll be on for 1 please maybe 2.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
PG, Are you aware of any changes to the Carre Neige additional insurance added on the lift pass to cover off-piste etc?

If this is a stupid question I'll go to my room, but I have now got 300 up!!

CP
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
CP, off piste rescue is included as standard... there are some small print exclusions for the likes of "raids" and "expeditions" (I imagine that clause is targeting the likes of climbing Everest then skiing down, or skiing to the North Pole, though).
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
CP, I admit to even greater ignorance because I do not know the difference between Carte Neige and Carre Neige. Please would somebody explain (and try not to be too patronising!)
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I think the Carte version is an annual policy and Carre is bought with a multiday liftpass and lasts as long as the pass does. I believe the level of cover is the same for both versions.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nick L, Carré Neige is the daily insurance cover for 2.5 euros or whatever it is this coming season on top of a day's lift pass in France. The Carte Neige is the same cover but for a full year.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rob@rar.org.uk, I think there are 'options' available with the annual cover but otherwise it's roughly the same, yes.
latest report
snowHead I have an insurance problem,
My normal annual insurance policy (with ski cover) will not insure my right knee (I kid you not) as I had to have some physio on it following the EOSB in April. The six months period ends at the end of November so I need some extra cover for PSB enough to get me off the mountain and back to the UK if I had a problem with my right knee.

Would this be be a good extra cover for me to take out? Anybody got any thoughts on this?
I also have 3 days skiing Italy in Jan, Epic in Feb (wont count for USA), EOSB (I hope) and I maybe another short break in March.
latest report
Thank you all - since I can only ski 1 week per year then Carre Neige it is.
snow report
So if I have travel insurance including snowsports is there any benefit to be gained from purchasing Carre Neige also?
snow report
Linds, Check out the BMC Alpine policy details and wording http://www.thebmc.co.uk/insurance/premiums_alpine.htm They seem to have a more reasonable medical declaration than most. Shock snowHead
snow report
Linds, alternatively use your left leg only?
ski holidays
Quote:

alternatively use your left leg only?

Haha.
It takes me all my time to ski on two legs Shocked
I could always say I cant tell my left from my right so it was actually the other knee I hurt Laughing
snow report
Nick L, I think PG has summed it up quite nicely. If you are on a UK insurance policy and intend to ski some off piste in France then ask for it to be added to your lift pass. God forbid that you need rescue, for the 2.5 Euros a day it is worth it as you will not have to worry about paying for transport to medical facilities whatever the situation is.

I think the general term applicable here is CYA

CP
latest report
PG,

I am interested in the annual. Maybe we can sort this out at the PSB, thanks
snow report
CP, My from personal, painful experience, off piste is not the issue, with slope recovery in France. I was knocked down on a green run close to, and within sight of a base area. My UK ski insurance was refused (AXA), as was my E111 for my treatment, and so were all my c/c's. There appears to be a very nice cartel, who's edict is to refuse to do the paperwork (potentially) involved in providing European Citizen's access to medical support services. Cash is sooo much easier Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
snowbunny, although your experience sounded pretty terrible, was it typical? On the couple of occasions I've been with people who needed piste rescue and then medical treatment the service they got seemed OK - credit cards were accepted by the pisteurs and Cabinet Medical, and their insurance paid out when the bills were presented.
ski holidays
rob@rar.org.uk, I can only pass on the view of my insurer's emergency assistance service provider at the time. That what I was experiencing was a well known practice. And that the resort I was unlucky enough to be staying in, was known (infamous?) within the UK insurance trade for those practices. You have to hope that not all French resort management could be quite that stupid. I made some effort to address the standards of service that I experienced, and was told in several letters, that the resort is very happy with the way things are, and in fact the Piste Patrol Mgmt went on to call me and my SO liars.
ski holidays
snowbunny, yes, maybe it's more of a Val Thorens thing. My two experiences were in Courchevel and Val d'Isere and I thought the service my friends got was OK. I assume you won't be going back to Val T.?
snow report
I can only recall 3 cases over the years, Grand Montets, ok, Sestriere, ok and VT which we accessed from the 4th valley, Orelle.
The only problem we had was that the bill for getting back down from VT to Valmenier plus upfront medical - no heli, was £600 which was reembursed by the insurance Co. The injury was a knee ligament IIRC.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have been led to believe a copy of the T & C's - in English - is "in the post"...
snow conditions
PG, We await with T & C's bated breath...................! Toofy Grin
snow report
JT wrote:
PG .../... Do they now have, or have they ever had an English speaking claim centre? .../...

The phone number of the insurers' call centre - 0800 121110 - has a recorded message with two options - a choice of speaking to an English or a French operator...

I've put the T & C's up on line now.

The details are here.
snow report
PG, Thanks! Really great to get such comprehensive information on Carte Neige! Very Happy snowHead

(Printed off pages - you may wish to check 'Carte Neige Page 4' - it appears to be identical to Carte Neige page 1) Puzzled
snow report
Ah thanks must be a faulty link - I'll amend very shortly....

Edit - done
latest report
PG, thanks, that's very helpful. It's a relatively small fee to pay for a bit of extra peace of mind. I'd rather be over-insured, especialy in the light of snowbunny's story.

Cheque will be in the post when you have the form on MSS - it's a small bonus to be able to support the Les Arcs Club Smile British cheque or French cheque?
snow conditions
rob@rar.org.uk, Euros preferably, sterling's fine though - I'll have the exact euro/sterling figures over the weekend...
snow report
PG, I would also be interested as well. Will check out MSS. Thanks
snow conditions
Mouth, the form is available now...
latest report
PG, many thanks for sorting this out. I'm glad I can get this cover before my trip to Tignes next month. I'll get a cheque in the post later today. Do you know who the cheque should be made payable to - "Ski Club Les Arcs"?
latest report
PG, just noticed that this will also give me membership of the Les Arcs Ski Club. Does this mean I have to start wearing green ski suits?! wink
snow report
rob@rar.org.uk, good point, knew there would be something! Can't get through to the treasurer right now, will confirm...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy