Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Meribel Vs Morzine for off-piste & splitboarding

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I have a provisional choice of positions in Meribel or Morzine for the upcoming season. My passion is for off-piste accessible through short hikes, and I'm doing my best to get into splitboarding, including overnight stops in refuges. Which resort would you recommend based on these criteria?

Thanks for your thoughts!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jiagedaping, I don't know the 3Vs at all but Morzine (PDS rather) is certainly full of little cheeky descents.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Morzine has reasonably easy access to much bigger stuff locally and Chamonix is but an hour away.

A lot of the side country above Meribel is glaciated and not really good if you are just starting out.

Get a copy of http://www.volopress.net/volo/spip.php?article457 there is plenty to go at.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
im going to PDS this coming season for 2.5 weeks and will be looking to be doing a bit of skinning, boot packing and off piste,never done any of it before, so im watching this thread with interest
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Idris, I think it would be fairer to say that some of the sidecountry is glaciated - perhaps even, a little.

The 3V offers a vast array of off-piste options and Pralognan (Gateway to the Vanoise) is only just up the road.

There's a great intro to off-piste in the 3V here:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dennis.summerbell/skiing/3vintro.html
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Idris wrote:
Morzine has reasonably easy access to much bigger stuff locally and Chamonix is but an hour away.

A lot of the side country above Meribel is glaciated and not really good if you are just starting out.

And of course Chamonix doesn;t have any glaciated terrain at all wink

to the OP - either will be great. Plenty to go at in the 3V that doesn't involve glaciers...
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Resort has been chosen for me (provisionally), I'll be in Meribel this season. I'd have been pleased with either, I did my 1st season in Meribel back in 05/06 and was just across the way from PDS last season, so I do know it a little.

Below is a google earth screenshot from the 3vs:

All of those little bed icons come up in the description as refuges - am I right in saying that these generally form part of touring routes? Is the best way to get into this type of terrain a stop at the local guides bureau? I've never used them before - always gone with instructors.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yep, those in the mountains are refuges.

Vast amounts of relevant info here:
http://www.refuges.info/nav/massif/9/vanoise/

Also, get hold of the IGN 1:25k maps and look for the blue dashed lines - those are recognised ski routes.

If you've never done it before then I'd suggest finding a guide. Try offpisteskiing or

Le bureau des Guides (Pralognan la Vanoise):
Tel. +33-(0)4-79087121
www.guides-pralognan.com

Bureau des Guides et Accompagnateurs:
Tel. +33-(0)4-79203248
www.guides-savoie.com
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy