Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Working in Geneva this winter - weekend skiing?

Poster: A snowHead
Hello All,

I am looking at doing some contract work for a company based in central Geneva, starting in November until the end of April next year. Somehow I think I'll be doing a bit of skiing on the weekends, going out on Friday evening and coming back on Sunday evening Very Happy

Chamonix/Argentiere is top of my list - I've been there a few times before and love it. I'm looking for some top tips on how to have some good weekends there without breaking the bank and making the most of the weekend:
- Getting from Geneva to Chamonix/Argentiere and back: what's a good way of getting there given I won't have a car (we've usually driven from Geneva in the past). Presumably there are regular bus and minibus type transfers from & to the airport, which is not that far from the office? Any transfer companies that you can recommend?
- Staying in Chamonix/Argentiere: I know a few places where I've stayed with groups but this time I may be on my own a few times as I doubt my mates can't come over too regularly. Any decent hotels that have single rooms or don't charge a massive supplement for 1 person?

Thanks in advance Smile
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Portes Du Soleil. One hour from Geneva and access to 650km of piste.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hotel de la Couronne in Argentiere have single rooms. There are other hotels there, too, but I can't recall the names. Try the Arg. tourist office, too?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
There are "day trip buses" from Geneva, including lift pass. That might be the cheapest way to do it - preferably on a Saturday, which will mean quiet slopes because it's changeover day. Sundays are generally much busier. info here http://www.geneva.info/activities/

Some resorts offer cheap passes on Saturdays (Les Contamines used to, not sure about next year).

Have a good winter! Geneva is often miserable in winter - nice to get out into the mountains. My neighbours in Les Saisies, who live in Geneva, often arrive saying it's foggy, cold and damp in Geneva, when it's bright and sunny up the mountain.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Scarver, There are indeed day trip buses.

I would be tempted - if the timetables allow - to take a public bus to CHX Friday evening. SAT are the operators and a quick google will find the info.

I have no idea on accom in Argentiere - but there are quite a few 2* hotels in Chamonix (e.g. Louvre, Hotel Chamonix) that I expect would be happy (French school holidays aside and frankly you won't want to be skiing then anyway, at least not the Paris weeks) to take short weekend bookings and won't be too expensive. THe Vert and Vagabond are also probably worth checking out. And, I'd be inclined to find a hotel that works and stay there each time, that way you can at leats build some rapport, which might be helpful.

If buses don't attract, you might find this helpful? no idea if you can even leave Switzerland with the car tho! http://www.mobility.ch/en/pub/index.cfm

Morzine is a top spot but finding a cheap hotel will be more difficult I would expect and public transport is not so easy I don't think.

Transfer companies are likely to eat into your budget.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
There's always the Jura as well, if you just fancy a quick couple of hours. A bike ride from the city, let alone a drive!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

A bike ride from the city

provided you have very strong legs....
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Not been there for years but Gite le Belvedere in Argentiere is cheap and cheerful, bit youth hostely but that can be good if you're on your own and fancy some company and aren't looking for luxury.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just been looking around, SAT buses are reasonably timed. I'd be inclined to take the 17h00 up on Friday, catch a few beers as it looks like you'd want the 16h30 descent.

Don't be disturbed by locals doing a day trip in ski kit, boots and all.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Scarver, there are lots of Swiss resorts within 2 hours of Geneva by train - a much nicer way to travel. The rail journey along the banks of Lake Geneva is quite spectacular, and the climb from Montreux up towards Chateau D'Oex is one of the best rail journeys in Europe (in my experience!).
The SkiRail Map of the Alps shows the rail routes and resorts, and the free sample here shows the Lake Geneva area quite clearly -http://rogerlascellesmaps.co.uk/SkiRail_Product_Information.aspx?area=SkiRail_Product_Information
None of the nearby Swiss resorts is on the scale of Chamonix but they're definitely worth a visit if you're there for a while. Another great experience is taking the boat across Lake Geneva from Lausanne to Evian, and then the bus up to a couple of really nice little French resorts which overlook the lake.
NN
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Do the biggies.

Don't stick to just one station.

Argentiere, Verbier, Murren, Zermatt, the list is long.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks folks - some good stuff to follow up on here Cool
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Tricky question really, do you thrash around trying to see many places (not a terrible idea at all) or just concentrate on 1 or 2 areas and get to know them reasonably well.

Tough one really....
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Scarver, Just on that and amplifying Whitegold: the Swiss railway system is indeed excellent. If your office is central to the main station, there is quite a lot of skiing directly connected with around 3 hours train journey. Typically into the town centre.

Murren is a good example. And you might find that Ema is able to accomodate you at the excellent Eiger Guesthouse.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If you think you will get in more than about 20 days of skiing you could consider a seasons lift pass at one of the areas. Once you have made the purchase there is a real incentive to make the most of it.
snow conditions
good point - the Grand Massif pass is particularly good value and there's a big discount for early purchase - you wouldn't have to do too many days to make it worthwhile and it's one of the closest areas to Geneva.
snow conditions
sideslip1 wrote:
If you think you will get in more than about 20 days of skiing you could consider a seasons lift pass at one of the areas. Once you have made the purchase there is a real incentive to make the most of it.

On the other hand, it's very easy to slip into season pass disease, "it's not perfectly sunny, we can always go up tomorrow"...
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
good point - the Grand Massif pass is particularly good value and there's a big discount for early purchase - you wouldn't have to do too many days to make it worthwhile and it's one of the closest areas to Geneva.

430 EUR if purchased before December 10th, I believe.

In profit on about 11th or 12th skiing day.
latest report
Most season passes offer good discounts for early payment. Some season passes offer a few day passes to other areas.

Talking Chamonix (which is the only one I really know): Buy early part of Oct and get upto 40% off, but it will still be dear compared to some other season passes. If you buy the MBU pass you get Chamonix/GM (Argentierre)/Balme/Les Houches you also get unlimited Courmayeur somewhere between 5 and 10 days in Verbier & about 5 day passes for different resorts in the area eg Morzine/Megeve/Contamines etc.

Should keep you busy, but like i said NOT the cheapest (by a long way).

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 25-09-12 9:40; edited 1 time in total
snow report
under a new name wrote:
sideslip1 wrote:

On the other hand, it's very easy to slip into season pass disease, "it's not perfectly sunny, we can always go up tomorrow"...

Ha, yep had that. Only really a danger if you have a season pass and 40+ days in resort though, a weekender out of Geneva should be safe.
snow report
Scarver wrote:
Hello All,

I am looking at doing some contract work for a company based in central Geneva, starting in November until the end of April next year. Somehow I think I'll be doing a bit of skiing on the weekends, going out on Friday evening and coming back on Sunday evening Very Happy

You may well find other like minded contractors/permies at your place of work - it was certainly the case when I was working just over the border in Ferney-Voltaire. Weekend skiing was pretty much lifefrom late October ( if we were lucky ) through into May.

If you have space where you are living you may also find that you have a lot of friends popping out for the weekends Toofy Grin

I am envious, a winter based in Geneva would go down very well snowHead
snow report
Thanks again folks - so many choices... Smile

I still have to get through a final interview next month, but its between me and one other bloke so I have a pretty good chance. Hopefully if I do go I'll meet people who want to do the same so may be able to get a small group together (when mates aren't coming to crash - quite likely).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy