Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

insurance

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I always take out an annual insurance with the ski cover included and I've been ski-ing for over 30 years. For the past few years I've also taken carre niege as well. Having broken my leg in 2010 just showing the lift pass and I was off the mountain in the blood wagon as soon as. My question is, is it absolutely essential to take out this extra insurance for pure piece of mind.

I wondered if by having your valid insurance document with you (should you need mountain assistance) the ins.doc proves to the pisteurs that you have valid insurance, you are covered to be taken off the mountain and your own insurers pay the blood wagon and ambulance fee. I dont ski off piste.

As our insurance companies will find the tiniest excuse not to pay put (BITTER EXPERIENCE WHEN LOG BROKEN) insurance co.name withheld.

By point of interest, I was taken to the local Dr. in St. Gervais, (I broke my leg on the way down the mountain heading for base as was due to fly home that evening) The Dr. splinted my leg, gave me an injection and pain killers, but, I had to pay upfront for the splint, x-ray, injection, painkillers, plus his fee for my treatment, before I could leave the surgery. Had the ambulance taken me to the local hospital instead of the private Dr. my eu card would have been perfectly ok.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
oldskigal, I hope your log has healed.

I have only once had experience of being taken off in a blood wagon. In Les Arcs a few years ago. The pistuers turned up and took me off the mountain, they didn't ask to see any insurance, they just did it. I gather it may be illegal in France for them not to do so. The doctor treated me for a dislocated shoulder. I went back the next day and paid the doctor and the pistuers for the rescue. They held onto my skis until I paid.

Then came the fun bit. My insurance company repaid me, but they made their own exchange rate up, even refusing to pay me in euros. By this little trick they stole £50. Then they took off the excess. Insurance companies make very high profile campaigns against fraudulent claims but it is very much the pot calling the kettle.

What do you mean by "extra insurance" is it the travel insurance or is it the Carre Neige? I have a number of friends who do not take travel insurance at all, but just buy Carre Neige as and when needed.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm new to France, I've always done Germany or Austria, but will be in Morzine in February. Why do you feel your travel insurance with ski cover is not enough or is there something about france I don't know. Do you do the Carre Neige as an extra just in case or to keep the pisteurs happy? Surely your insurance and EHIC will do the job, they always have for me so far.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
robapplegate, not an easily answered question but there is loads of discussion on snowheads - a search should throw up some interesting threads. One reason quite a few people double up with Carte Neige is because that will cover off piste - without (AFAIK) any of the weasel words which figure in most travel insurance. It's cheap - the price of a small beer a day - so not worth too much agonizing about.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w, Thanks, yes it does look cheap, did a bit of googling before I posted my questions. Couldn't see any definite assurance about off piste on their website but I didn't get round to downloading the pdf.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Not this old chestnut again. rolling eyes

1. The secouristes will take you off the hill regardless of whether or not you're insured. What did you think they were going to do, leave you in the middle of the piste to bleed to death? If you try waving bits of paper at them as they load you onto a stretcher they will think you are a loony.

2. If you have travel insurance which covers skiing, it will cover the cost of rescue. What would be the point in it otherwise? If you seriously don't know what it covers, why did you buy it in the first place? Suggest you try reading it, preferably bfore you fork out for the premium.

robapplegate, no, you don't need to buy insurance with your lift pass, yes your travel insurance plus EHIC will work for you just the same as it does everywhere else in Europe, no there is nothing special about ski insurance in France.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Beware of the medical clinic. This can be private and will not except EHIC. eg The medical centre in Plagne Centre where the pisteurs will deliver you is a private clinic and will charge you, usually by credit card. There are signs in French and other languages stating this! The EHIC will cover payment for treatment at the State Hospitals, in Moutier or Bourg St Maurice. (You still have to pay for Xrays and pharmacy.)
The piste rescue service will not charge you there and then but commonly will take your skis/board and when you go to collect them will require payment for your rescue.
This does vary resort to resort.
To be clear EHIC does not cover private health facilities.

Basically be prepared to pay up and then claim back on insurance.

BTB The med centre in Plagne Centre does not accept Carre Neige as a payment method either.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Lizzard, and Boredsurfing, Thanks, I reckon that's about cleared it up for me Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ok folks. Rather than start a new Insurance topic I thought I would add this here. Something for those interested to get your teeth into.

Has anyone used the annual 'Impact Multisports Card' provided by Diot Montagne, the same people that provide the Carrie Neige daily insurance with your ski pass in some areas of France?

I have just read the details and at '46 Euros' for a year for an individual and '99 Euros' for a family to cover all kinds of sports it looks good. The web link for anyone interested in finding out more is

www.impact-multisports.com or www.diot-montagne.fr

Having read through the details it looks like a very good alternative to the annual Carte Neige in France plus it can be used all over the world including the USA.

As long as you register your home address and not one in the ski resort they will repatriate you to your home in your own country if needed without any extra charges they say. Sounds very good.

I would be very interested in hearing from anyone that has used this. Does it work as well as they say?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
snowcrazy, bug, it's all in French. It looks good on the sufrace. Does it cover rock climbing, mountaineering and mountain biking too? I paid a damn site more for two weeks cover in the states this year for those three sports, would have cost even more to add snow sports. Do you know of any english sites for the company?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowcrazy, The medical cover looks a bit low to me, especially if going to the US.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It sounds like something you might use in addition to a medical insurance policy:

Looking at the Année individuelle it covers you for...

1 - Les frais de recherche, de secours et de rapatriement ;
2 - La responsabilité civile liée à la pratique sportive
(en complément ou en remplacement de contrats personnels existants).
3 - Une garantie individuelle accident.

If my French isn't as rusty as I think it is, then this basically covers you for the costs of search, rescue and repatriation and provides personal liability insurance, but not medical expenses. (or have I missed something?)
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy