Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tranny-G does Chamonix

Poster: A snowHead
I'm going for the season but flying. If you have space in your car for an extra suitcase I will be more than happy to pay 'carriage'.

It will contain some extra clothes, fitness gear, and a few months' worth of Quaker's oats and fresh coffee beans. I promise you will not be smuggling marmite across the border for me!

Edited to change thread title. Just because.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 23-09-12 18:32; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Assuming they're still running, might be worth giving Piste of Mind a look. Used them last year for EoSB, and I don't recall there being a weight limit or anything?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
At customs, "did you pack your bags yourself?" , " no a man called zero asked me to bring his stuff"
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
blahblahblah wrote:
" no a man called zero asked me to bring his stuff"
...and when they ask, "so why is the bag full of women's clothes?" you find yourself having to explain about Zero-G being a transvestite: Tranny-G Wink
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
adamantis, thanks I had already checked them out but they don't do Cham. There's always the option of using a standard courier but they charge by volume and weight. I anticipate the bag coming in around 30kg so that's a hefty courier fee.

blahblahblah, apparently, I am actually a lady. Although there are those who may disagree... Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
admin! What goes on a bash stays on a bash Shocked
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I sent a 30kg bag by UPS to Italy for about £35 last Winter.
It's always cheaper to book via Pharos or Interparcel.

They may want it 'cartonised' - I had to wrap my wheely ski bag in cardboard so they'd take it rolling eyes
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
admin wrote:
I sent a 30kg bag by UPS to Italy for about £35 last Winter.
It's always cheaper to book via Pharos or Interparcel.
Hmmm that's way cheaper than I thought it would be. Will check it out, thanks.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Of course that was from North London. They may want danger money to pick up south of the river. It would have been a damn site more expensive to send back the other way: over £100 to pick up in Italy.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
admin wrote:
They may want danger money to pick up south of the river.

That's no joke. In the six months I've been south of the river, my neighbours on either side have each been burgled and a woman was raped in the mews outside my bedroom window. It's a looong way from NW1. Oh well, I only have to tough it out for another year then I'm gone Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Zero-G, Shocked Shocked Whereabouts in South London? The word 'mews' is one not often heard in the edgier areas!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
adamantis wrote:
Assuming they're still running, might be worth giving Piste of Mind a look. Used them last year for EoSB, and I don't recall there being a weight limit or anything?

Not sure what Piste of Mind are up to but Andy who worked for them last year has set up on his own, easiest is to contact him through Twitter https://twitter.com/deliveryandy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Pedantica, where zone 1 meets zone 2, so not the deep South. But sometimes I do get that duelling banjos feeling down here...

Boredsurfing, ta, I'll give him a go (I get the warm and fuzzies from supporting small businesses).
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Apartment for the season has just been confirmed. I am excitement personified.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Zero-G, Very Happy Cool
snow report
A season in Chamonix would suit me nicely.....................................
latest report
Cool enjoy!
snow report
Lovin' the new thread title. Good luck and I am well jel'. Watcha' doin' for the season? Working or just skiing?
snow report
Zero-G wrote:
admin wrote:
They may want danger money to pick up south of the river.

That's no joke. In the six months I've been south of the river, my neighbours on either side have each been burgled and a woman was raped in the mews outside my bedroom window. It's a looong way from NW1. Oh well, I only have to tough it out for another year then I'm gone Very Happy

What was it like before you moved there?
snow report
Pedantica wrote:
Zero-G, Shocked Shocked Whereabouts in South London?
More importantly: whereabouts in Chamonix?
See U for Xmas Wink
snow report
Heh, I'm pretty chuffed snowHead

Was a bit of a last minute decision. Was originally planning on renting the apartment and commuting between London and Cham but I may as well just do the whole bang shoot... because life is short, yadda, yadda. And no, not working, just skiing and a bit of climbing for as long as conditions hold out.
ski holidays
Chamcham wrote:
What was it like before you moved there?

It was less fabulous Happy
ski holidays
Zero-G, There's a very excellent chap called Philip White who does a ~monthly run from the UK to Chamonix. He's currently building up orders for the pre-season drops. You can get him on +44 7767 887 494.
ski holidays
Thanks under a new name!
snow conditions
If I use each of the above recommendations, perhaps I could move the entire contents of my London home to Chamonix... and never come back Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Zero-G, are you fixed up with accommodation?
snow report
Zero-G wrote:
, and a few months' worth of Quaker's oats and fresh coffee beans.
You take coffee beans to France? Good coffee is one of the things I associate with France (and Italy).
snow report
jbob, I am yes. One of Cham's finest closet-sized studio apartments.

snowball wrote:
You take coffee beans to France? Good coffee is one of the things I associate with France (and Italy).

Definitely with Italy but the French coffee is dire - to my rather unrefined palate, that is.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I always take coffee beans - it's a myth you can get a decent supply outside any of the major French cities (and in precious few of those). However, all my suppliers are - happily - in North London ..... Smile

p.s. they name certain of the byways in south London after cat noises, hence 'mews' It's got nothing to do with the same designation used north of the Thames, it's just to remind them what noises their terrifed felines would normally make if they were not too terrifed of the local takeaway owners to let out a sound.
ski holidays
RattytheSnowRat wrote:
they name certain of the byways in south London after cat noises, hence 'mews' It's got nothing to do with the same designation used north of the Thames, it's just to remind them what noises their terrifed felines would normally make if they were not too terrifed of the local takeaway owners to let out a sound.

Laughing
snow conditions
Can anyone recommend a guide book for non-glaciated off-piste in Chamonix? While I do plan on a using a UAIGM guide for the glaciated stuff, my budget doesn't stretch to doing that more than once every couple of weeks over the course of the season.
snow conditions
This is the standard off piste guide.
http://www.lockwoods.com/editions-vamos--chamonix-mont-blanc--off-piste/prod_581.html

The touring and off piste guide we'll worth getting is by Anselme Baud and has an English version.

There is also the Black Guide which is recent, but I think you can only get it in Chamonix.
snow report
Some good stuff here.

http://www.chamonet.com/ski/area/off-piste.html
snow conditions
Zero-G, I have the phone number of a man that may be able to help you....
snow conditions
Cheers jbob, I have that book... in French. Bought it last time I was in Chamonix and thought it only came in French. Had fun using Google translate to decipher it. Will order the English version!

AndAnotherThing.., cool, will take all the help I can get.
snow conditions
Zero-G, Who´s a lucky girl then...a season in Cham, no work.......WIPE THAT FILTHY GRIN OFF YOUR FACE Twisted Evil

Have a great season, and please keep a blog, or at least post up some fab pics for us snow starved Austrians Cool
ski holidays
I'm turning alternately the colours of bright envious green followed by the deep red of totally unreasonable jealous rage.

You do know you'll come back as something really, really horrible in your next life, don't you?

Have an utterly fantastic time!!!

(PS. A blog and lotsa lovely pics would be great for us deskbound flatland wannabes)
snow report
Big Paua, brilliantly expressed, I couldn't agree more. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
ski holidays
Big Paua wrote:
You do know you'll come back as something really, really horrible in your next life, don't you?

But that's this life Shocked Makes you wonder what I did in the last one Toofy Grin

I'm not sure about a blog but I can post pics here. Taking all of my camera gear, so hopefully I'll find some willing photosluts to do some action shots.

And, of course, if any of you are in Cham at any point in the season, we can go for a ski and a drink - and may even end up dancing on tables...
snow conditions
Suddenly going for an early season trip to Cham to sort out my new touring boots sounds like an even better idea.

Enjoy the season!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy