Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Fieberbrunn Vs St Johann - Which shall I choose?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have the option to go to either of these places but not sure which to pick.

I'll be going early March, with 8 people with mixed abilities.

What I'm looking for in order of importance from most important to least is as follows -

Quality Slopes - Snow Cover
Variety Slopes
Apres
Food/Restaurants
Accommodation.

Any input or recommendations will be greatly appreciated!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I went to Fieberbrunn in the 1980s on a school trip - my first taste of skiing on snow. Can't remember much about the resort now (but do have vivid memories of having a great time skiing) and I'm sure it will have changed since then.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
dominicw78, Fieberbrunn, certainly for your first two requirements.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
dominicw78, Can you clarify which St Johann please. There are 2 one in Tirol (St Johann in Tirol) and one in Salzburgerland (St Johann im Pongau).

The best person on here to advise you is Espri as he actually lives in Fieberbrunn. I know from him that the village has invested a great deal of money in new lifts and also snow-making, but if the St Jo is the Tirol one, so have they. Perhaps a quick PM directly to him will give you the answers you are looking for.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
As Samerberg Sue says, I may be slightly biased but, presuming you do mean St. Johann in Tirol (St Johann in Pongau is another kettle of fish, being part of the Ski Amadé area), here is my view...

Both areas offer enjoyable skiing. I would have thought that Fieberbrunn was slightly larger but the figures in Bergfex show them the other way round. In both resorts most of the pistes are suitable for intermediate skiers. For absolute beginners I might have put St. Johann slightly ahead, because the best beginner lift in Fieberbrunn is from the middle station of the Streuböden lift. However, when I mentioned that previously in snowHeads, someone did suggest that that had its advantages, for it means you can really feel you're on the slopes.

For off-piste skiing Fieberbrunn offers a wide variety of possibilities, more than St. Johann. Instruction is available. I took a course last year and reported here. There are various levels of challenge, from runs for rookies like me (though that seemed challenging enough at the time) to stuff for real professionals. The Swatch Freeride World Tour will be in Fieberbrunn from March 9th-15th next year. If you're here at that time, as well as being able to watch the pros, there will be more aprés ski going on than usual (I can't really speak on apres in either resort. There is some but generally I don't think either village is a real big apres centre - maybe someone can correct me). Although Fieberbrunn is busier around then, it shouldn't really lead to major waiting times at the lfts.

St. Johann and Fieberbrunn are only about 15 minutes apart by bus. If you want more variety than either resort offers alone, you could use the Schneewinkel ski pass, which as well as Fieberbrunn and St. Johann allows you to ski on the Steinplatte (an attractive area accessed from Waidring) and the Buchensteinwand (a small hill near the Pillersee) (and a couple of other even smaller areas). All are connected by ski bus covered by the lift ticket.

Both resorts offer cross-country skiing too.

Of the two St. Johann is the bigger town, with more shopping, etc.; Fieberbrunn is more a village, though stretched quite a away along the main road.

If you have any more questions (e.g. about specific accommodation), just ask. I'll be happy to help if I can. And maybe we can meet up, if you wish, in either area.

P.S. There are photos of Fieberbrunn and St. Johann in Tirol (and other areas) in my gallery in the snowMediazone.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
dominicw78, Slopes and snow quality better at Fieberbrunn for sure. As said above you can easily ski both as the bus link is good.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have been going to Sankt Johann in Tirol for donkeys years.. You can get the ski bus to Feiberbrunn for free but the Apres is mighty in Sankt Johann.. You have to experience Max Pub at least once in your life.. I still love it.. and i'm moving to Sankt Johann in December.. Hopefully see you there.. Also i know the guys who run the ski school Schischule Wilder Kaiser and they're great if you need lessons (very technical if you want that kind of lesson) and they bring you to Feiberbrunn if you ask... any questions on Sankt Johann i'd be happy to help.. Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks everyone for your input. I'm leaning towards Fieberbrunn but still not yet decided. The accommodation I have been offered looks nicer in St Johann in Tirol but is slightly more.

The fact Fieberbrunn is described as more of a village makes it sound slightly more appealing to me plus if there's likely to be more snow I think that's a definite plus.

I will be going from March 7th to 11th so if I do choose Fieberbrunn that means I'll be there for Swatch Freeride world tour, not sure if that's good or bad.

These are the two accomodation places I have been offered

Pension Sonne, bed and breakfast, Fieberbrunn
£259 per person based on 2 sharing

Pension Meixner/Obermoser, bed and breakfast, St Johann in Tirol
£295 per person based on 2 sharing

Can any let me know if that's a good price and or if they know of any other good accommodation?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

so if I do choose Fieberbrunn that means I'll be there for Swatch Freeride world tour, not sure if that's good or bad.

Going only on my experience of FWT in other resorts: It is good.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I haven't any direct knowledge of either Pension (= bed & breakfast) but here are a few comments after looking at their web sites:

Fieberbrunn, Haus Sonne: first, the web site says their isn't any free accommodation at the time of your visit. With the Freeride tour in town that probably isn't surprising; it may be difficult to find rooms for 8 in Fieberbrunn at that time.
The front of the Pension is right on the main road but it stretches back from there. It is at the bus stop to take you to the lifts (and is just across the road from the swimming pool, entry included in price, according to the web site). Not too far from the restaurants in the old centre of Fieberbrunn.

St. Johann in Tirol, Pension Meixner: this Pension is in a quiet corner. It would be about 15 minutes walk to the lifts; it should be possible to take a bus from somewhere nearby, though I don't know the exact bussing arrangements in St. Johann. It isn't far from the centre of the town with restaurants.

The prices seem reasonable, though living here that's something I don't know too much about. Perhaps someone with experience can comment.

Hope you find something!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I stayed in a pension March 2010 in St johann just along from the central church and about 10 walk to the main lift. We paid £275 for Austrian twin b&b flights and transfer. The bus service around the town and ski area was very good. St Johann is typical in that it is centred around an old town square whereas my recollection of Fieberbrunn is a long narrow village stretching along one main road. We didnt stop for evening fun and games in Fieberbrunn other than use of a couple of quite friendly and good value restaurants at the bottom of the main lifts there, so I can't help re apres.

I really enjoyed the slopes around Fieberbrunn and at the time the snow condistions were better there than St Johann due to its position vs the sun

I also really enjoyed the apres at St Johann and it is very typically Austrian with Maxs Bar the highlight with a great circular out door bar with heaters and canopy and loud europop music inside.

I would definitely go back for the skiing and would happily stay in St Johann and use the bus to get to the best snow. (ps....the best apple strudel with vanilla sauce I ever had was in the square at St Johann!!)
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Try pension Gregor in sankt johann.. It has a new owner for next season.. And she's a lovely person.. It's beside the slopes and about a 2 minute walk from max pub and the gonadal in St Johann
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy