Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New ski's

Poster: A snowHead
As discussed in my recent post regarding Rocker and waist, i have purchased a pair of Dynastar Outland 80's. Brand new.

I know this sounds daft, but i assume i can just get on them and ski. I have had the bindings adjusted to my boot and suitable DIN. However do i need to have the bases waxed or is the base that comes on them from the factory good to go, so to speak.

Or do the factory put a thicker more protective wax on, or how does it work.

Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Timbobaggins, I'd get them whizzed up to Jons Ski Tuning for a good dose of hand waxing, edged properly and hot-boxed. Dont put them in a ski shop out in resort they'll muller them for you in a machine.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hmm, Nottingham, would be far too much travel, any recommendations in Hertfordshire/North London area
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Your skis should be good for a day or so out the packing, but it's worth getting them waxed before you use them for any length of time.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
waxing is really easy to do at home and needn't cost the earth. travel iron, some multipurpose wax and a scraper costs less than a shop's service and if a dork like me can do it, I am sure you can

to your actual question, no need to wax them now but plenty of people choose to do a hot scrape on some new skis to get all the gunk from the factory out of the bases.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I don't wax skis at all! All you really need to do is make sure the tips and tails are detuned if not done already, check the binding setup and DIN then hop on and slide.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
meh wrote:
I don't wax skis at all! All you really need to do is make sure the tips and tails are detuned if not done already, check the binding setup and DIN then hop on and slide.

Nooooo, only detune if you are intending to side slip on 45deg + ice. Waxing new skis will clean the base, when you do it you can see all the crap coming out.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 20-09-12 13:23; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
At the moment mixed advice, between hop on and ski, and get them waxed and edged.

Confused or what Puzzled
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Not all that close to Hertfordshire/North London, but the well recommended Ski Exchange is just that side of Cambridge so perhaps closer than many others.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Timbobaggins, Seriously I'd UPS them to Jon and get him on the case, or alternatively set aside a day and go have 1/2 a day couse with him and come back with your own waxing/ edging gear. Myself and my mate did exactly that last year and we're now set up in my garage and do them and our OH's skis ourselves.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
jbob wrote:
Nooooo, only detune if you are intending to side slip on 45deg + ice.

If it doesn't form part of the sidecut, then all it can do is catch on deeper snow or take chunks out of you or your stuff if you take a bit of a tumble.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've never done anything to new skis (inc 3 pairs of Dynastars) but just go and ski them. Been fine so far, though I rarely bother to get mine serviced anyway (do want to do one of Spyderjon's courses though).
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Markymark29 wrote:
Timbobaggins, I'd get them whizzed up to Jons Ski Tuning for a good dose of hand waxing, edged properly and hot-boxed. Dont put them in a ski shop out in resort they'll muller them for you in a machine.

Jon, Jon, Jon.

Don't let nobody else near them. I have done that and got the knackered ski's to prove it.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
One more LOUD vote for just HOP ON AND SKI, take to any ski shop after a few days, get wax done (not sharpen) ski much more, get full service done 8or learn to do it yourself), repeat.... you can spend the next 6 months debating servicing, edges and wax layers but you will miss the ski season, just go have fun!!!

Ignore if:

a: skiing on plastic
b: OCD about edge angles and wax impregnation
c: you have too much money and want to get rid of some of it (if so i will pm my bank details later)
c: attempting to become worlds most technically perfect skier by next week.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Timbobaggins, you can just hop on, unless they are race dept skis they will have been waxed (very thin) and edged, but don't leave it too long before having them tuned.

I repeat don't detune, it's something that was appropriate for pre carver skis. I don't wish to go into the technicalities but once detuned it's hard work to put the edge back.
snow conditions
jbob wrote:
I repeat don't detune, it's something that was appropriate for pre carver skis.

Detuning can still be appropriate even for modern skis. As I pointed out, edges that aren't part of the sidecut have no business being razor sharp. Admittedly, looking at a photo of the Outland 80, there's not a whole lot of edge that fits that criterion though.
ski holidays
I know Jon's a wizzard and a top guy but all this woe if you don't get a brand new ski fully hand prepped by a pro before you ski it is a bit OTT. Hand wax and scrape myself is usually my limit on a new ski as I'm not a hot-boxing racer.

Yeah hotboxing is nice and custom edge angles might help but then you can stuff all that first rock you hit anyway.
latest report
From the man;

On detuning

http://www.jonsskituning.co.uk/content/view/19/34/

On new skis

http://www.jonsskituning.co.uk/content/view/15/34/
snow report
Detuning is def appropriate for skis with rocker and/or an early taper/widest point moved back towards the binding. Nearly killed myself on my first pair of rocker skis when both skis went in different directions in a carve when the downhill ski bit at the tip.

No reason to detune the outland and probably not worth waxing before you ski for a bit.

J
latest report
jbob, the reason for detuning is the one that Jon gives on his page it stops the skis being hooky. Like I said it's only a little bit but it makes a big difference in deeper snow, particularly with rockered skis. Jon's advice is probably right for carving skis on piste.
snow conditions
I have no experience with tuning rockered skis, I will be guided by those that have. I have tried having different side angles down the length of a ski ie 87 in the middle and 90 at the ends, but couldn't really tell the difference.
snow report
Timbobaggins, IMHO hop on and go for a day trip or a cheeky fridge slide, need a proper wax and scrape if your going to use them a week away for the first time....

cheers,

greg
snow conditions
kitenski,

Will be jumping on them for a week away in Feb 2013 then another week away in March 2013.

Still confused, conflicting arguments above. Think at this rate will jump on and ski them 1st week and see how they feel, may get em waxed for the 2nd trip 5 weeks later
snow report
Timbobaggins, Personally I'd get a few layers of wax on them if your taking them away for a week...

Read the section down the bottom of this page entitled This step for new skis only.

here http://www.jonsskituning.co.uk/content/view/22/34/
snow report
kitenski,

Boooger, so now i HAVE to have them waxed Sad

Coz if i read your link correct then thats what Da Man is saying.

I was going to e-mail Dynastar direct and see what they said, but when you click on contacts, it just gives you a phone number for A UK contact
ski holidays
Timbobaggins, welllllll, depends on how anal you are about your ski gear!! You could

a) hop on them and get them waxed in resort after a day or two
b) DIY the waxing now and in the future (they will need the minimum of a wax after a week away)
latest report
jbob wrote:
From the man;

On detuning

http://www.jonsskituning.co.uk/content/view/19/34/

On new skis

http://www.jonsskituning.co.uk/content/view/15/34/

I know Jon knows what he's doing, but I don't thing his guidance on detuning is necessarily always the case, or really all that practical.
When you take your skis in for a full service, likely it's going in a machine that'll base grind and edge the skis (hence why best avoided too often). It is one thing to ask them to set a particular edge/base angle, which they do without a problem, but asking them to do a diffrent blended angle along the length of the ski probably isn't going to happen unless you have someone hand tuning them, which is harder to find round here. Yes you can of course do this if you are doing them yourself as long as you have all the right file guides.

In practice (and on the manufacturers recommendation, but not Jons) I detuned the tips and tails of my Preachers as they were too grabby for comfort in the steep/tight spots.
I don't really care that I can never get the tips/tails sharp again because I don't want them biting there in the first place. They still carve just fine, and they now are great and perform much more predictably in the trickier spots too.

Getting a good tune on your skis is great, and if you have certain performance requirements you'll notice it, but really no need to get all over excited about it; just get out there and ski em Happy
(Though I'd probably go with some of the advice above and get them waxed at least)

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Thu 20-09-12 17:48; edited 2 times in total
snow report
kitenski,

How much is a wax in resort going to be ( La Rosiere and St Sorlin ) for me this coming season
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Timbobaggins, I think my buddy George will be close to you & will do a great new ski prep for you: http://www.gbskiservicing.co.uk

My advise re detuning (or rather not doing it) is for DIY tuners were adding some base edge angle at the contact points has the same effect as detuning but without loss of material & retains full length sharpness. This works equally as well on rockered skis as conventional cambered skis. Unfortunately most techs go straight to the detune solution first if the ski is hooky rather than doing the base edge angle tweak - but then most shop techs don't fully understand the function of the base edge angle & still detune 'cause that what they were told to do back in the day rolling eyes

My 196's have 330mm long rockered tips & they're have a full length sharp edge that's hook free Toofy Grin

My experience is that 'old school' skiers can find a ski hooky but put someone whose learnt from scratch on carvers on the same ski & it's hook free. I'd certainly recommend skiing a new ski first before any adjustment.
snow conditions
spyderjon,

Many thanks, will be contacting your buddy George for a wax in the next few weeks, as a matter of interest, can you have skiis waxed too early, i am not skiing till 1st Feb, so do i leave it till Jan, as in if i have them done now will they dry out by Feb.
snow report
Timbobaggins, if you store them at room temp they'll be fine getting them done now especially as George will give the bases & edges a wipe over with Zardoz Notwax after he's waxed 'em. Us techs are also quieter this time of year whereas Jan is manic.

I'd recommend getting a ZN Pocket Puck to take away with you for use in resort.
snow conditions
spyderjon,

Thanks, have just e-mailed him

what's a ZN Pocket Puck and what does it do ( cancel, just googled it ) Very Happy
ski holidays
Timbobaggins, you'll be able to get a ZNPP off George while you're there
latest report
spyderjon, thanks for the recommendation, Timbobaggins, has been in touch.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy