Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Fun, cheap beginner resort for two grown men

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have two male friends, aged 35-40ish, who want to go skiing for the first time in mid-January for slightly less than a week (so they can't do a traditional package - I think they're free from a Mon to a Fri or Sat).

They are fit but a bit overweight, they are enthusiastic boozers (they're used to country pubs rather than city bars) and they are gay but not obviously so. They don't go abroad often and know absolutely nothing about skiing. They'll need ski school, equipment... basically everything. They're on a budget and wouldn't be fussy about quality of accommodation.

I think they will be best going to a cheap and cheerful, small-ish Austrian or Italian place, where the beginner slopes are near their accomm, there's some sort of apres/nightlife (can be low-key, but not dead) and plenty of blue runs for when they make it off the nursery slopes. They would go s/c, b&b or chalet board. Plus reasonable scenery/village, though this is less a priority. And as they'll be booking their own flights/transfers on unconventional days, it needs to be near an airport, pref with public transport to resort...

Any ideas? Or does anyone offer something that meets their needs?

Thanks!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Why does it matter that "they are gay, but not obviously so"?! Are you really expecting folks to come up with recommedations for places that are "great for gay but not obviously gay blokes" or do you just want the same advice and recommendations that everyone else asks for regardless of gender, sexual preference etc etc. Puzzled
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
MountainMaid, this place is cheap, v good, does ad hoc days, has own nightclub underneath, has own Irish bar on the piste, is about 100m from the nursery slopes and lifts, and is run by some very fun Brits... http://www.stafflerhotel.com/winter.htm

And take a look at the reviews. And do-able by train/taxi from Munich or Salzburg or Innsbruck.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
jirac18, that's right. I mean, I'm a stalker but not obviously so. Maybe MountainMaid doesn't want them to end up somewhere like this: http://www.hausromeo.at/
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jirac18, It means the usual objections to Austrian twin beds don't apply.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Rocket Ski in Montgenevre.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks Bode Swiller, I think the Staffler sounds ideal. Wouldn't mind going myself. Like the sound of Montgenevre, Lizzard, thanks.

At Bode's Haus Romeo I think they'd feel a bit old and flabby sitting beside those whippersnappers in the sauna!

jirac18. Yes, I am. I think gender, sexual preference 'etc etc' (family/partner situation, age) are a big consideration for everyone when choosing a resort. Two middle-aged blokes that aren't gay, for instance, might prefer somewhere they can meet girls. And some places in the Alps would be less welcoming than others to 'obviously gay' blokes. If I'd just said 'Two friends seek cheap beginner holiday' it would be less easy for you lot to specify what would suit them. The more you know about someone, the easier to recommend a place for them to go...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
MountainMaid wrote:
At Bode's Haus Romeo...
Errrrmmm... for the sake of accuracy, not my place OK?

Love the idea that guys might go to a ski resort to meet girlz Laughing . It's a sausage fest at the best of times. Magaluf perhaps better.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Easily the best forum question I have ever read....I am still giggling.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bode Swiller wrote:

Love the idea that guys might go to a ski resort to meet girlz Laughing . It's a sausage fest at the best of times. Magaluf perhaps better.

Well Snowhead savaloy joy seemed to manage to meet a few girls in Solden according to this thread. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Alastair Pink, worth actually quoting:

Quote:
massive actoin in soldin man more liyke faliraki birds galore. chiillin chattin clubbin shagging all week. the ostrien birds is a cracker and is well up 4 it but the ostriem boys is well anger liyke the boys hear on the skiheads so had to be carefoul. i has hooked on skieing man its best 4 fit birds who not mingas liyke attitudde in englanglish birds always mowning wiv headaykes an geting drunk and puking an all over in minuetes. u been to soldin?

and then:

Quote:
i missing all lesons cos actoin is manic man 6 birds all top qualerty up 4 it mad bird caled ulla showt ya ya all nite the lads well jelus shes a stunna. our birds is mingas in falyraki all mingas but brids in soldin not posh lyke our birds. geezas in shally are is batty man skie all day battud 2 much 4 punani an in bed b4 club opens. i is skiesing man agen soon in ostriea 4 top beirds. shimmyy alcut sownds top laff a propre bird beers clubs laff.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Alastair Pink, Bode Swiller ........ brilliant!

Well (and this is a risk on a mainly-male, mainly-Brit site), speaking as a girl who has skied and apres-skied for years in resorts that are full of blokes both British and from other ski nations (eg St Anton, Tignes, Zermatt, Andermatt, Obergurgl), in my experience it's nearly always the non-Brit blokes who are friendliest. I've rarely been chatted up or even chatted to by a British bloke in a ski resort - and it always seems to be them who are forlornly gazing into their beers as the night wears on while the Scandis and Germans home in on all the females. What I'd like to know is.... Are those Brits who hope to be on the pull in fact scared the girls you talk to might show them up on the slopes)... or just too tight to get a few rounds in? Puzzled

On behalf of my handful of single female skier friends, go on you lot - buy some of your countrywomen a schnapps or two one day Smile
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

On behalf of my handful of single female skier friends, go on you lot - buy some of your countrywomen a schnapps or two one day

Maybe 'cos ski resorts are full of hot Skandi/French/Austrian/etc girls wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy