Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

half term flights

Poster: A snowHead
obviously loads more expensive, but does anyone know from past experience if its worth holding out for a cheaper flight , or do they all go and you just have to bite the bullet
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've never seen any discounts for last minute bookings at half-term, and on a couple of occasions left it too late to book. In my experience the earlier you can book the better.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
CANV CANVINGTON, it seems to work the other way round these days. Book them when they first come out if you can, because they get more expensive as you wait.

The full "package" holiday rates may drop though.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
yeah i figured as much.. this is the first time ive done the 'family' holiday myself rather than get a package.. got the hotel sorted no worries but as you get used to flying out on lads trips for the price of round of drinks the half term tarrif looks a trifle sporty.. you just dont notice it in the package trip
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
CANV CANVINGTON, I'd say you've already missed the cheapest flights for next year's half-term. If you've already got accommodation sorted I would say just bite the bullet and get the flighs booked as soon as possible.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
some of the sunday flights are cheaper than the saturday ones, and resort roads less busy, but all flights at peak time have been going up fast for a while. easyjet will refund the difference (as a flight credit) if a flight booked with them goes down in price, no point holding out. You could explore driving though - with four up it's likely to be cheaper at half term, but try not to do the trip during the day on any Saturday from early Feb through early March, unless you are specially fond of traffic jams. If you've booked nothing yet, the advice about last minute discounts on packages is good - if you're flexible about where to go.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w wrote:
easyjet will refund the difference (as a flight credit) if a flight booked with them goes down in price, no point holding out.

Does anyone know if Ryanair do the same thing? A flight I booked a while ago has dropped by £100 since I booked it, which I'm a tad irritated about Mad
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w, i dont want to risk a last minute deal as i really want to get out there to a specific resort with the kids this half term.. i drove to tignes last easter and loved it, much more pleasent than flying and all in only about 3 hours longer..plus u then have your car.. but its austria this time and i think thats just a bit too long in the motor, and i dont want to waste a night stopping over
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
CANV CANVINGTON, I did read somewhere that an Austrian Snowtrain was going to run this coming season, could that be an option for you ?

I just had a search on the internet and came up with this link should be good as you go via Brussels which saves on the pain in the neck change of stations

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 6-10-05 10:59; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
D G Orf, you're right.

http://www.europeanrail.com/austrian-alps-offer1.htm

Waterloo-Brussels then onwards. This site also offers rail travel to Italy and Andorra.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
D G Orf, great minds Google alike. I've also put the site into the sticky for Travel Resources. The web page is a bit iffy (text boxes overlaying stuff underneath) but some of the offers look attractive.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for that link. I just wish train travel were a bit cheaper. The overnight service from Austerlitz to Bourg St Maurice looks very tempting (especially the double sleeper cabin) but it's not cheap.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
thanks but not for me.. if i leave mine at say midday to make sure i get to waterloo on time thats nearly 23 hours.. before the transfer to the resort..
its flying and hire car or taxi for me.. hopefully ill be on the slopes by early afternoon same day.. albiet with my considerable personnal fortune being depleted a tad wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar.org.uk, it can be if you book a PREM, I've just pre booked a group of 25 for 1/2 term at £149.00 adult return and £99.00 return for kids, I'm confident I can shave a few quid more off that figure as soon as the PREM tickets are released.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
David@traxvax, that's a more sensible price - presumably for a 6-berth couchette? Does that incude Eurostar to Waterloo?

I've just had an email from RailEurope.co.uk which says that from October 11th French trains can be booked three months in advance rather than just two.
ski holidays
rob@rar.org.uk, Yes, Waterloo/BSM return, if you can work your way through the SNCF website you book tickets in France & they'll deliver them to the UK.
snow report
If you are going down the flight + car hire route, I would suggest that you have a look at some of the airports a little further away than the traditional ski airports. It may be that you have a 3-4 hour drive at the other end but potentially the savings could be worthwhile.

For example you can still get flights for £0.29 each way for the week commencing 11th February to Karlsruhe-Baden, which is only about 3.5 hours from St Anton and many other Swiss/West Austria resorts.
snow report
We've booked the kids on a 20 quid flight to Paris just before Christmas, and then will book (when the Prems are available in 2 weeks) either a sleeper to Briancon, or a TGV to Grenoble.
snow report
CANV CANVINGTON,

I got London to Meringen -Bernese Oberland, Eurostar/TGV as far as Bern - for £124 two seasons ago and I had to change a few times because of the destination I wanted to go, but it was the best journey to the alpes I've had in recent times. The trains were so comfortable and dozing wasn't a problem.

You should be able to get to St A direct from Brussels overnight and arrive about 08:15, certainly on the staurday if not most days.
From the UK I exepct this is a friday night journey but from Brussels it would the an 'alpine special which runs daily. I don't have my Thomas Cook timetable for Europe anymore but that always was the case IIRC.

Driving to Austrian alpes would add two hrs to a car journey in my experience particarly most places gatewayed from Munich.
That would be no worst to me than, say the drive south-east of Grenoble. In fact I would put it almost on par with getting to La Plagne as the journey really slows down as you get to Lyon.

I find the jurney to the alpes by train the least liable to fatigue, but we travel light and children aren't a fcator here.
After all said and done, we always lose the day to travel whichever way you do it.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy