Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hoverspeed Dover- Calais

Poster: A snowHead
Just a snippet that infers Hoverspeed are talking about redundancies and loss of route. The company runs 2 cats and the French side think the company will ceast running the DOV-CAL route from november. The British think they are talking cut-backs.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
JT, They did'nt run a service at all last winter, as I found out when I tried to book Shocked
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
given th amount the cats pitch during a stiff breeze i'm not suprised, it is quick and quite cheap but even for a steel sea belly like mine i came very close to seeing dinner twice. We used it in May to get over to Chamonix and there was a 3metre swell - its was more like an Alton Towers ride I kid u not!!!

Check out the new eurotunnel pricing, I managed to get prices on a 16 day break for £117 return in January.

David
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
skinutter, seasickness also means we need to travel under the Channel. We paid £98 for our return crossings at Christmas (outbound after 2pm, inbound before 11am).
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
For those with more cast iron bellies www.speedferries.com are still offering absolute bargains on the Dover/Boulogne route.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The £98 return fare for Euro Tunnel is still being advertised - although they are spinning it as £49 each way. There are a range of other price options, nothing lower, available as well.

CP
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
CP wrote:
The £98 return fare for Euro Tunnel is still being advertised - although they are spinning it as £49 each way.

Puzzled Excuse me for being thick, but isn't 2 x £49 the same as £98?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar.org.uk, The point I was trying making is that last year the £98 was a one price return fare. This year they are offering different price breaks on the separate legs, depending on departure times. So you can mix an unsocial hours trip out with a more acceptably social ( and more expensive ) return.

CP
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
CP, ah, I see. Told you I was being thick!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
rob@rar.org.uk, You got me wondering for a moment, even had my shoes and socks off to do the calculation Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Being of a claustrophobic nature I always took the ferry. Then one year we had to use eurotunnel to get the departure day we wanted. Now I would never waste my time sitting on a ferry for upwards of 100 minutes when you are through the tunnel in 35, and the price is not that bad, well worth the extra few quid.

As for the claustrophobia I just shut me eyes and sleep Laughing
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We used the Tunnel last year for the first time becoause of the £99 pound offer. When you live up in NE England, you're unlikely to make a crossin gmuch before 2pm anyway, unless you have a very early start, and don't have any traffic problemd, Coming back, we normally stay near the Channel, head to the hypermarket and take the last crossing back before 12 noon, meaning we can be back home for dinner (bought in Auchan of course).
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If I'm travelling a long distance, my preferred route is with P&O - it takes a bit longer than the tunnel but you can settle down in the Langan's Brasserie for the trip and have a decent meal, which makes good use of the time. It's a relaxing way to do it and you don't have to stop for eating later.

Having said that, my next trip is with Eurotunnel, but that's primarily due to the lousy P&O website and unhelpful P&O booking line.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
it seems that the P&O Portsmouth-Le Havre route has been taken over by LD lines, French company, promising a "no frills" service with transparent pricing like low cost airlines. their website, www.LDlines.com is under construction but already miles better than the old P & O site, with prices coming up quickly, 2 people and car from about £77 single. They have one overnight sailing to Le Havre each day and a late afternoon sailing back. Useful for people who, like us, live very near Portsmouth.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w,

Just a thing about web sites and prices. It you want low cost airline prices then you should expect the engine to have to go to the Reservation system DB to get an up to date price for each and every transaction/enquiry. These are designed to react quickly to new price structures and loads. Most companies Res systems came before their website so the Res system is the master dictator of the price. And you can't make the website the master price if you have a booking centre unless they book through the web which again by comparison is slower. Therefore for each price enquiry you have to interrogate the master booking sys'. That is why 'low cost' websites operations may be deemed not the quickest.
snow report
JT, Not quite sure what you're arguing. The cheap airlines like easyjet and ryanair now enable you to scan prices over several weeks and pick out the cheapest, not interrogate the system again and again. I am a big fan of the easyJet website, which even enables you to change flights now, without waiting for hours on a very expensive phone line. The old P & O site was appalling, it took ages to give even one price. The new operator currently only gives one price at a time (though the website is under construction) but at least it gives that one price very quickly. P & O was hardly a "low cost operator" but their webline was one of the worst in the business.
ski holidays
Tonit, I dont' like tunnels very much, but as we had bikes on the roof, we were in the single deck carriage which was less enclosed.
snow report
pam w,

You will find P&O's new site is on the lines of a low cost airline model. If you haven't used it recently then you may not have seen that. My comment about LD lines is that the prices you get quoted are 'brochure price'. Nothing wrong in that but almost by definition you are getting pre-determined price bands and are very easy to incorporate into a web site. The air lines model prices ' evolve' according to supply and demand and the suchlike and most travel transport companies now follow this model.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy