Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowdome v's xscape ?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
http://www.snowdome.co.uk/
http://www.xscape.co.uk

Ive been to xscape castleford, is it worth the extra 30 mins trip for the snowdome at Tamworth, it certainly looks bigger on their website ?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Royal, MK is more in my territory, so I've only been to Castleford once and to Tamworth maybe 5/6 times over the years. Tamworth has an L-shaped bend in it, so you go down 20-30m then sharp left and then maybe about 90-100m to the bottom. I think the skiable (ie sloping bit) length is significantly shorter than Castleford (which sloping is probably around 140-150m I think). The headline length is always the wall-to-wall length.

Probably of greater concern is that Tamworth, in my experience and the experience of others I've spoken to, is always quite icy and the cement base has been known to show through too. Can't carve on cement. The snow at Castleford I'd expect is pretty good most of the time, just as it is at MK (Acer Snowmec's system).
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Castleford adertise that they have the longest indoor snow slope in the country....so I'm guessing that it's bigger than Tamworth...although I'm not sure how the width compares?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've skied at Mk, Castleford and Tamworth. MK and Castleford are larger and 'better presented', the infrastructure at Tamworth does look a bit tired and I suspect it is more prone to overcrowding. I have to say I did enjoy Tamworth, the bend in the middle does give it a longer feel than the two xscapes, and we went at a very quiet time (Friday, late morning, mid-summer).
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have skied MK and Tamworth, I agree with Ian Hopkinson, that the bend makes Tamworth feel longer. The snow at MK is generally better, Tamworth can feel like an ice rink on the tilt. I also hate the travelator at Tamworth as it is sooo slow.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
snowbunny wrote:

I also hate the travelator at Tamworth as it is sooo slow.

Yes, and you need to remember to start walking when you reach the middlestation, or you'll course a pile up Embarassed
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We happened to be walking around a certain building site in Glasgow the other day, and although its just an infrastructure at the moment, the slope looked longer than MK or Cas?!

I am at MK regularly (Have a shop at all Xscape sites) but visited Castleford slope the other day. MK seems a bit wider (Split into two 'lanes' by pillars) and has the nursery slope down the side, but the snow quality at Castleford was the best I had ever seen indoors. Not a hint of ice, just nice and fluffy. MK has been bad of late due to machinery breakdowns (Piste groomer was out of action last month I believe?)

There was a point at Castleford at around 5:15pm (I was waiting for traffic to subside, honest boss!) when there was just TWO of us on the slope for a good 20 minutes. We just stood at the top and couldnt believe it was all ours!!!

Can't wait to give Glasgow a whirl next year Twisted Evil

Anyone been to MK in the last few days, as I am up there Saturday and hope the 'ice warning' signs are no longer out??!!

ScottyDog
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
so all in all it doesnt really seem the extra hour travelling to to the midlands and back, i must admit the snow at cas has always been reasonable. Ive been going during the mid week mornings until i went with the other half while she had a lesson sunday afternoon and the lift queue was horrendous. The other friday night after 1030pm I had the slope to myself and nearly went into self destruct mode !
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Have done all three. Castleford by far the best.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ian Hopkinson, snowbunny, interesting you should both say that, I think the bend makes it feel shorter! Puzzled
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
slikedges, Laughing I scrounged some Sallie, Axe Cleavers from the EB store a couple of seasons ago, just to try out, and the shop guy said "Don't even think about starting to turn before the bend" Geat fun Laughing
Having the bend, makes me spend more time practising different types of turn, (rather than beating the crowd to the travelator).
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy