Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Rocker and waist

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
meh wrote:
Timbobaggins, its an ever changing dynamic, some skis are getting thinner again now as refinement in shape means the waist doesn't need to be as thick for similar float which gains performance in hardpack snow. Then you have all sorts of crazy bends going on in for example the S7.

Basically rocker means the curl for the tip starts earlier (early rise) and last longer to the extreme where it literally goes up from flat rather than the ski being cambered. It can be on the front and back of the ski and very often is different in each direction. Contrary to some peoples opinion tail rocker isn't just for skiing backwards. You end up with a much more 'surfy' feeling ski when they are fully rockered. In general though it's similar to getting a speedboat on plane and prevents the ski tips from diving. As more of the ski is off the snow they tend to ski like a shorter ski on piste unless you are at big edge angles (really leaning over). On the whole easier to pivot and harder to sink.

Waist is about increasing the surface area of the ski, wider waist demands a wider ski overall for the same sidecut. More float in powder. Bigger waists require more force for an equivalent edge angle so are a bit harder to ski on firm snow and take more time to change from one edge to another. I personally wouldn't ski lower than 100mm these days as it makes a great ski for all conditions.

best description I have read snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
clarky999 wrote:
meh wrote:
clarky999, bleh, just get a longer ski or go faster. NehNeh

Longer and faster with a noodle still isn't great in crud, and a really stiff crud buster with a strong camber will still be prone to tip dive (at least I find at my weight) in powder even if it is longer (and then also harder to ski in tight trees).

IME long, relatively stiff and rockered works well for deep days (quick pivots in tight trees AND big turns in more open terrain), and also for demolishing the leftovers over the next few days.

Well yes, that's why I was advocating (lightheartedly) a longer stiff cambered ski and/or skiing the current one faster, not a noodle. I was being deliberately macho. Wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mike Pow wrote:
Yes, some but not many snowboarders I've spoken with and skied with on Hokkaido have changed from snowboarding to skiing because they feel the immersion in the powder is a more enjoyable experience than surfing on top of it.

Well, I stand corrected! Still, I'm sure no true snowboarder would ever do such a thing... wink

meh wrote:
clarky999, bleh, just get a longer ski or go faster. NehNeh

Call me a wuss, but I'm pretty certain that my ability to kick turn is pretty sharply limited by ski length, and there are places where skiing fast enough to plane on a thin ski might get a wee bit alarming! Skullie

Anyway, that aside... a few links that may already be familar to all you folk, but just in case:

edit: actually put in the right links this time

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 19-09-12 20:06; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
meh, Oops Laughing
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy