Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First snowboard

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Alright folks,

So despite being clued up with regards to all things ski related, I have little knowledge of snowboards. I'm in the process of purchasing my first one and have currently demo-ed a couple of burton boards. I'm on the look out for a fun all mountain female specific board, with not so girly graphics where possible. Mostly for groomers and dabbling in the pow, and possibly a bit for the park....although I'm yet to hone my skills in this department. I've tried the Burton deja vu flying V and the Lipstick. The deja vu was fun but 'chattery', whereas the Lipstick, whilst had good edge hold, seemed a bit 'meh'. I'm at the top end of the womens boards because my height and weight (looking at the lipstick 152cm) so I could perhaps get away with something that isn't specifically for girls. Any suggestions would be gratefully received!

Thankyouplease. Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Reading Burtons blurb on those boards it looks like the Lipstick is the stiffer of the two which would fit in with how you felt they demo-ed. If you're are after a do-it-all board you'll be looking for something that does everything well but doesn't really excell in any area (except versatility!). Within that there will be gradients; softer = more playfull, stiffer and damper = more stable at speed.

If you're as heavy and strong as a smaller guy then I can't see any reason not to get a board designed for men, after all board sizing is calculated on weight/shoe size/intended use these days.

All that said I think you should check out Never Summer's Infinity:

http://www.neversummer.co.uk/products/snowboards/1213-never-summer-infinity

http://www.shayboarder.com/2011/07/snowboard-review-11-12-never-summer-infinity.html

I got the mens version last season and for sure it improved my boarding. I personally like the camber/rocker/camber profile (all 3 boards above have this) as it's less edge catchy and best of all it gives better float in powder. I learnt on and had been riding traditional camber for 8 years though. I'd steer clear of straight up rocker.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
K2 Fling, the most fun you can have travelling sideways.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
i would def recommend some other manufacturers boards to demo as well. some others to perhaps keep a look out for:

Flow elation
Nitro Mystique
k2 eco pop
k2 wolfpack
never summer infinity
ride promise
roxy envi
salomon idol/ lilly or lotus
nidecker devine
rome vinyl.

the never summer boards are amazing. I own a lotus ( this is stiffer than than the infinity) but they are bomb proof, nice and fast. I also have larger size boards 151cm for indoors and 154cm for all mountain/ off piste
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
This is all great info, thanks a lot! Some of those boards are definitely worth a demo. Suppose I'll have to wait for a demo night as Castleford, or until Ellis Brigham get in all their stock for this season.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I have a ride promise and it has been a brilliant 1st board for me. Its fairly stiff so not ideal for jumps but brilliant in deep powder and on piste. I've had this board for 3 years, bought it after 2 weeks snowboarding, and it is a solid intermediate board. It seems to be pretty much bomb proof. However, I am thinking of replacing it soon, maybe with a GNU board.

Don't worry about looking at women specific boards - it just limits your choice. And if you want non girly graphics, look at Lib Tech (who make pretty awesome yet pricey boards)
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
id would have loved the gnu b pro board but its so hard to get in the UK Sad
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The Gnu Velvet Guru looks like a new one for this season and gets amazing reviews, it also looks pretty damn fine. I doubt many places in the UK will stock this one though. Sad
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
for your first board get a full rocker - aim for something flexible and forgiving Gnu's are awesome, burton flying V. Saying that whatever board you ride first will be the board you get used to - dont believe the hype of any particular brand. A good shredder on a low end board will outgun a bad shredder on a top of the line board anytime. Much like anything its commitment, practice and cajones that really count! Cool
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
fandango123, you say get 'full rocker' but then recommend boards that are 'hybrid rocker', it's confusing enough.

I'm not sure 'full rocker' is a good idea for someone who has already complained about lack of edge hold on a demo.

Very true about the rider being more important than the equipment though! Us less than experts have to improve the odds as best we can.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy