Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

LES ARCS 2012 / 2013

Poster: A snowHead
Arctic, sorry to hear your bad news. That is really tough. Hope the young one recovers quickly.

They did reopen the piste later after they had made more controls, but the resort is very worried after the problem last week.

Yesterday Monday we had a POWDER day again. Blue sky and good snow. It was great!

We headed high early and were very lucky to arrive at the Varet gondola just after it had opened. Made a few laps of the area under the lift and beside the Robert Blanc piste nature.

Then were even more lucky and had first tracks down a number of routes around the Grand Col lift when that opened.

Finally we headed into the back valley and arrived in Nancoix after a great run down in more untracked powder to the track out which was very cruddy.

Back in Arc 2000 we had a quick lunch at the Mushroom before a run down from the top of the Varet to Plagnettes chair and then the Border cross and finally over to the snowpark and waterslide before heading for home.

A good day and very mixed conditions. Untracked powder most of the time off piste in the morning and fun in all the play areas in the afternoon.

Photos from yesterday will be posted later today.

DAILY UPDATE: Tuesday 2 April 2013 (Published around 8.30am each day.) All photos for this winter are posted on my 'Les Arcs Winter' facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/LesArcsWinter/photos_albums

Send me a PM if you would like the contact details of a local English speaking 'Guide/Ski Instructor' so you can also discover some of these great places.

WHAT IT IS LIKE OUTSIDE RIGHT NOW!
Overcast sky again today. But the sun does seem to be trying to break through. It might be better higher up. I can see the mountains in the distance and it is warmer than yesterday morning. The wind of last night has dropped right now lower down. I hope the change in the weather has not messed up the nice powder snow to much although for piste skiers conditions should be very good. Time to go.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Arctic Roll, Sorry to hear but worse places to spend 2 weeks relaxing? Trying to be positive, not fun though.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Arctic Roll wrote:
and, yes, even in April, the snow continues to behave like a January.

I hate to suggest it but as the Russian lady avalanche demonstrates the snow doesn't behave like January when it's warmer and wetter especially late in the day.

I still don't believe the answer is on piste transceivers - you'll probably have the life crushed out of you by a full depth wet slab before you can be located, but a bit of general knowledge about the mountain environment probably doesn't hirt anyone.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The avalanche took place just beyond where 'Plan Vert' (blue run which leads to the boardercross) forks off of Gd Renard.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
catsmeow, Welcome, so 1/2 way along the flat piece then and not that far from Tranarc in reality?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Indeed, not far from Transarc at all... ~250m I would guess. Part of that massive, tempting-looking powder bowl above Grand Renard slipped, covering the piste and continuing down the other side some way.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
catsmeow, Thanks, earlier reports seemed to indicate it was much closer to the fork for Peisey by the top of the Grand Renard lift.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snowcrazy wrote:
For those wondering. the avalanche was before the fork of the piste coming down from the Transarc in the direction of the Grand Renard lift and the blue run on the right.

This is the picture of the Grand Renard red piste coming down from the Transarc (far end) in the direction of the Grand Renard lift (point the picture is taken) on the 27/03/2013 (the only sunny day of that week), just two days before the avalanche:

ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Very decent day today snowHead

Had an hour with a guy called Henri a local who freelances for ESF. He was absolutely different class but then he was about half my age! Dont think I've ever packed so much into an hour, balls to the wall charging steeps and crud, I was right on the limit and legs on fire, top man snowHead

Had time to hit the airbag at 1800 just to show the kids that Daddy has till got it
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
What a day! Tuesday 2 April. Fresh powder mostly untracked and much better visibility than was predicted for most of the day.

When I left the station to go home it was snowing lightly at Arc 1600. I hope it kept going all evening.

Today we went across to the Bellecote bowl and played around making a couple of laps finding some fresh untracked snow and a few steeper sections. We then headed onto the Petit North Face of the Bellecote and down to the forest, finally out along the river path. Then a nice late lunch and back to George's Wine Bar in Arc 1950 for a well earned drink.

What a treat the conditions were today for one of the group who had his first trip over the back at the ripe old age of 13, He did very well.

The pistes we crossed on both sides of the Vanoise Express were in great condition after the resent snowfall. The snow was still a little unstable in the afternoon sun, but it was holding up well. More to come tomorrow we hope!

The photos from the last few days have been posted in the new April 2013 Album on my Les Arcs Winter facebook page if you are interested in seeing what conditions are like. Todays photos will be posted later. Enjoy!

Here are a couple of photos so you can see what great snow we have right now.

ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Here is the report on the last couple of days.

Very Happy Yesterday (Thursday) Smile was a real mix. Started off by going up Aiguille Rouge with clouds about although the light was not to bad. Then decided to head over into the National Park as reports were that the snow high up was still ok. Saw a group heading for the Valdez Couloir. Hope they had fun.

We went down Genepy with good snow at the top, but it quickly became very mixed as you came out onto the meadow. Did not go lower and headed over to the Lanchette exit on a very cruddy traverse then a bit more ok snow before hitting the breakable crust lower down.

Quite an experience for some that are still learning to deal with the mixed conditions, but all made it down safely. Then up the lifts and through the forest to Pre St Esprit for Lunch.

Met up with others and had a little play in Malgovert before a run down Arolles on a very nice empty piste and then over to the Waterslide. A few wet people this time.

Finally back to George's in Arc 1950 for a drink. The off piste everywhere yesterday was very mixed with all kinds of snow to deal with. The pistes were in very good condition in most places although wind blown and hard packed on the exposed areas or coming into lifts and stations in the busier areas.

Very Happy Today (Friday) Smile , we had a fast ski over to La Plagne in poor visibility and then a fun play in the gullies going down to Plagne Bellecote. Then up to the top of the Roche de Mio and down the 'hidden valley' for a little off piste in very mixed snow on the way to the 'Tunnel of Dreams'.

Through the tunnel and back over to the 'Les Coches' side and into the 'Waterfall valley' for another fun off piste run all the way back to the Vanoise Express.

Finally back up the Peisey chair and a fast ski on the black ecureuils piste down to the Vache restaurant for lunch and a birthday party.

After quite a few drinks amongst many friends, old and new, some of us headed to the waterslide (no one fell in today) and then home. A really nice day was had by all and for the lucky ones another day tomorrow before late flights, the eurostar or a long drive home.

All the pistes we skied today have remained in good condition with only a few hard packed areas. The off piste is very mixed, but in the more well skied places it is now starting to turn to spring chalky snow which I like. They have forecast a little more snow in the coming days. I shall have to wait and see.

Just posted the photos from the last few days in the April 2013 Album on my Les Arcs Winter page. Only todays photos left to post now. Will try to catch up the rest later tonight. If you want to see what the conditions are like or have been out with us. Take a look. Enjoy.

snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for a great report! Glad to hear La Plagne especially is in good condition as we're heading out there tomorrow! Very Happy Very Happy We're very early intermediates so blues and reds for us, no off-piste in the near future!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Cracking week in Les Arcs, didn't get my steep fix this time but fun to ski in a new area, anyone coming out will have plenty of snow to play in especially when it starts turning to proper spring snow. Have to say my experience of the ESF in 1800 has been superb, my kids are absolutely buzzing and their improvement level has been incredible. Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
What can I say, not enough of an experienced skier to give in depth ski reports etc. but. wow, how much snow has the area of Les Arcs & La Plagne had. It's our first ski in ski out and we can literally jump out of our apartment balcony straight onto the (Golf) piste, and were on the 7th floor, it's incredible. We are all newish skiers so limited to blues & reds but for anyone heading out here who is worried about the snow, Blimey many people are saying its the most snow they have seen for years.. I'm a nervous skier, it's only my third time on skis, but due to the GF being a bit sneaky she managed to get me and 2 of our daughters down a red yesterday and I felt absolutely bloody fantastic about it. One slight problem today was that the COQS lift broke down and everyone had to be roped down, luckily none of us were on it. Something that I really felt late this afternoon was how heavy going the lower lying pistes were, there is just so much snow & once the sun breaks through the trees it's like skiing in 12" of treacle.. I apologise for not doing a pro-type report but as I mentioned I'm a newbie but its making me smile like the proverbial Cheshire...anyone heading out here shortly can never be disappointed.... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
grandunion, thanks, great to hear. I am flying out in 8days time.
ski holidays
YESTERDAY (Saturday) was a mix of everything. For those lucky ones staying another week or leaving in the evening we had very empty pistes which allowed us room for some fast skiing all day.

We all met up at the top of the Vagere chair and then headed to the Varet Gondola. From the top of the Aiguille Rouge we had a play in the soft snow on the glacier before a fast piste ski most of the way down to Villaroger with a little detour onto one off piste area for a challenge. The snow off piste was very mixed, soft in places with a lot of hard cruddy lumps amongst the nicer snow and some areas of firm chalky snow in the more well skied areas. The piste was excellent, really good for carving all the way to the softer spring snow at the bottom coming into the village.

Then back to the top of the Aiguille Rouge again for a run down the Glacier and then the Robert Blanc piste and couloir to skiers left. The snow here was excellent, firm and chalky the whole way down.

Once at the bottom it was time for lunch and then over to Malgovert for one final play before going to the snowpark and then the Waterslide. Nobody got wet today. Well done!

Then the 'Big Drop' over above Vallandry where almost everyone had a go. A certain person did a lot of screaming but made it down without falling, excellent !!

After a fun day, time to go and pack. I look forward to skiing with you all again next season and a few of you staying for another week or just arrived. If anyone wants to meet up for a beer and maybe a ski please send me a PM or see me in George's Wine Bar around 5pm in Arc 1950. Hope all those leaving last night made it home safely.

I will try and post the rest of the lasts weeks photos today. Take a look in the April 2013 Album on my Les Arcs Winter page later today.

grandunion, nice report. Good to read another persons view. I agree the snow is great right now.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 7-04-13 9:24; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
grandunion, Nice report Cool
ski holidays
snowcrazy, what is the big drop?
Great reports. Wish I was back out there. The pull of doing a season get getting stronger. Just get the kids off our hands in a few years. ...
ski holidays
Grandunion & Snowcrazy, Thanks for the reports.... I have just got back from dropping my wife & daughter at Gatwick airport for their holiday flight to Club Med Arc Extreme...am glad the snow conditions are great as my daughter is beginner & hopefully she will become a fully fledged snowhead.
Smile
snow report
Yesterday (Sunday), the mist and clouds stayed all the morning and it did not really clear much until after 2pm. I ended up taking the day off. However my friend that did go up reported that the snow was quite heavy and wet during the morning with very poor visibility. After 2pm the sun did start to break through and it turned into a very nice late afternoon just as the lifts were closing.

The photos for the last week are now posted in the April 2013 Album on my Les Arcs Winter page. Take a look. Enjoy.

ski holidays
snowcrazy, wouldn't call it mist.. it was full on fog. Barely see a chair in front of you on the lifts. we abandoned after a run down pre st esprit and Mont blanc, back via Arpette chair . Mini roll said she was so confused about where she was, she was brake turning on the flat bit of pre st Esprit on the way to Combouciere instead of straight lining it . But yes, the afternoon cleared, we went out again about 3, and Grand Col was lovely. Albeit , Piste Patrol were at the top warning everyone to stick to the pistes, it is getting a tad wet up there.

Today has been considerably better, although has been snowing all morning ( and continues) . Been over at Peisey, and while the clouds are coming in over the ridge, making the home run a little tricky, it has been a good 3 hours ski. Ecureils ( ?sp) a black I hold to be the easiest in the alps) was showing its teeth a bit, with every ridge and powder scrape ( proto-mogul?) rock hard and teeth chattering. Unpleasant on the knees.
Proper snow at Vallandry and Peisey, 1800 seems a little wetter, not sure why.

Afternoon off I think. Things to do, people to see.might as well do it when things aren't at their best.
snow report
I've written about the fatal on-piste avalanche at Arc 1800 on 30th March in my blog, entitled:

Avalanche tragedy: could your lift pass save your life?

http://grangedalice.blogspot.fr/
ski holidays
araird, Interesting, you say Arc1800 but all indications say it was inside the bowl so Arc 2000 surely, or was it on the 1800 side the slide?
ski holidays
araird, interesting idea about adding Recco reflectors to liftpasses. I guess the cost of doing that would be marginal given the typical weekly cost of a liftpass, and could be covered by charging a few Euros as a deposit for each liftpass issued. Les Arcs has Recco receivers for pisteurs to use - wonder if they were used for this search?
latest report
Quote:

Interesting, you say Arc1800 but all indications say it was inside the bowl so Arc 2000 surely, or was it on the 1800 side the slide?

I had believed it was 1800 side, near where the pistes divide. Please accept my apologies if wrong, can anyone confirm exact location?
latest report
Quote:

interesting idea about adding Recco reflectors to liftpasses. I guess the cost of doing that would be marginal given the typical weekly cost of a liftpass, and could be covered by charging a few Euros as a deposit for each liftpass issued. Les Arcs has Recco receivers for pisteurs to use - wonder if they were used for this search?

I wonder if existing hands-free liftpass technology could be modified so the pass can be detected from a distance? Must be the same reflector tuned to certain frequency type set up? According to the Recco french website Les Arcs is one of the resorts where Recco detectors are used routinely in avalanche searches.
snow report
araird, catsmeow posted above on this thread, a bit lost in all the posts.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=91244&start=760#2272423

Quote:
The avalanche took place just beyond where 'Plan Vert' (blue run which leads to the boardercross) forks off of Gd Renard.

That would be the 2000 side, 1800 is past where the run splits to Peisey and 1800?
snow conditions
araird, rob@rar, Good point, if we can tag library books surely we can tag humans via the lift pass. Though maybe not a selling point for resorts?

'Our pistes are not safe so we will tag you via the lift pass'? Also they may be nervous of this as it then puts liability to them and not to an individual to carry the appropriate safety gear?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

That would be the 2000 side, 1800 is past where the run splits to Peisey and 1800?

Many thanks, I've amended blog. Also PMd to ask if I can use the picture.
snow report
After a nice rest yesterday, it was first lift up this morning and met up with friends for a fast ski over to the top of the Roche de Mio in La Plagne. The Glacier was closed today due to the weather so we headed to the Bauches Chiar instead. Very mixed snow all the way down. Not many people about anywhere.

Then with poor light we decided to stick to the trees and found a challenging route from the top of the Salla Chair down to the Mont Blanc piste. Then another route through the forest back to above Montchavin and time for lunch.

After a nice long lunch (it was raining/snowing outside), headed back to Les Arcs and finally a drink at George's Wine Bar in Arc 1950 before going home.

The fresh snow today made the pistes quite pleasant and we even found some good spring snow off piste. Unfortunately the poor light for most of the day, did make it rather hard to see where we were going at times and I only managed a few photos. Those I took today will be posted shortly on my Les Arcs Winter facebook page in the new April 2013 Album Two.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.461168820626256.1073741832.195692797173861&type=3

The forecast for tomorrow is not great, might mean a tree skiing day. It was snowing up top when I left so there may even be some powder about! Hope so!!!
ski holidays
Dear weather Gods,

I'm not sure if anyone has told you, but your calendar may be a bit out. Powder in April? Days on end of snowfall? OK, so the visibility ain't great, some of the lifts are closed (in fact, probably as many as they can get away with without having to give refunds) but oooh joy.

No-one about ( I'm told all the charter airlines are now heading for Spain, so no Package holiday TO peeps around?) . pistes with 3 - 4 inches of freshies on them; proper, not wet, snow down to Peisey and across the domain.

Sitting on the even relatively short lifts ( Vagere, Derby, Marmottes, Vallandry, Grizzly) today we ended up as snowmen at the top: it is just coming down by the bucket load. we even ( and get this for unusual) had the ski school postpone our lessons this afternoon. We came in about 1pm: soaked, exhausted, grinning like loonies.

As Simply Red (nearly) put it, " get a caravan, get a freight train...[]... but get here if you can"

It's bizarre.
It's insane.
It's magnificent.

big BIG laughing smiley.
latest report
Arctic Roll, Nice one. snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
Arctic Roll, yes we're in Montchavin and its crazy!!!!
snow report
Arctic Roll, Boring, boring, boring. Work is great. Skiing is so over rated. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Gilly28, Montchavin, what a place. Love it, by this time of year you should be skiing on grass there not powder!
snow conditions
We're heading out on Sunday, thought we were taking a risk going so late in the season but seems like its paid off! Literally cannot wait!
snow conditions
6pm. last few flakes coming down here in 1950... but has been a full-on storm most of the afternoon. About 4 inches accumulated on the bar tables outside Belle Pintes since being cleared at lunchtime.
Wind has been quite breezy (!) , so piling it up around the place. In the 2000 valley when we returned at lunchtime only Pre St Esprit, Marmotte and St Jaques open. Bois de l'Ours also for getting anyone mad enough to be over here, back over there. Don't know about Combourcieire, can't see it from here!

Weather tomorrow supposedly better, so early start I think...

KnightRider, you've timed it just about perfectly!
snow report
Arctic Roll, Care to tell us your thoughts on global warming?
snow report
Quarter to 7: reports of the imminent cessation of snowfall were precipitous... it's coming down hard again. Ho hum, what a bore.

thefatcontroller, warming, schmarming. Climate change, now that's a different matter!
snow conditions
What a day Tuesday was!! It started snowing yesterday and it just kept on coming. There was 10cm by this morning and at least 30cm I would guess by 5pm this afternoon in the sheltered areas. Not bad for April.

Looks like being another great end to the season, I just hope it does not get too warm or start raining! YUK!! and make all this new snow go off before we can put tracks everywhere!

This morning I was on the first lift, Surprise! surprise!! Headed straight over to join some friends and explore more of the Montchavin forests. Went up top and played a little in the powder fields above Les Coches and then back down through the forest a few times by different routes until lunch. Found a few cliffs in the forest today. Interesting route!! Made it out safely!! Deep powder helps to make little drops safer!!

After meeting up with others for lunch, two of us went to play in the powder again. I never can get enough of the white fluffy stuff!!

By early afternoon it was snowing so hard all the tracks of the morning were covered and everywhere we went we found untracked powder. After quite a few routes through the forest we finally had enough and headed for home. Tired, but very happy!

Did not have time for photos in the morning, but have posted a few photos of the afternoon session in the April 2013 Album Two of my Les Arcs Winter facebook page. Take a look if you fancy seeing just how amazing conditions are now.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.461168820626256.1073741832.195692797173861&type=3

On the way home the snow was starting to go off on the lower slopes and became quite heavy. The clouds cleared for a few minutes and the sun even tried to push it's head through so I managed to grab a quick photo of the valley below.

The pistes everywhere are now in excellent condition although a little sticky lower down. The off piste is amazing again. But may go off quickly. If you have the chance, get out here while these conditions last and bring your all mountain terrain skis!! (You can rent various models from Polaire Star Ski shop by the Funicular if you do not have any. http://www.polairestar.com/ )

I was told it was snowing right down to the valley at one point during the day and I just heard it is still snowing up top right now. Tomorrow should be another excellent powder day.

Here are two photos I liked from today!

latest report
Wednesday was awesome, Sun for most of the day and mega powder from the snow dump yesterday. instructor from Peisey took us over to Les Arcs 2000, slopes were very busy for one good reason , they were simply great. Instructor had afternoon off and was off for a 30 min walk about Grive.....according to him to get the last of this years powder. I under the top in Les Arcs was closed due to the avalanche risk, they were blasting for the helicopter for quite a bit of the day. It's one place I'm not going, so ski safe if you intend doing them. Laughing
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy