Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Any info about Bansko, Bulgaria.

Poster: A snowHead
I am looking at Bansko but never skied in Bulgaria, I mainly ski red runs in Austria, any info would be much appreciated.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Cheap and cheerful, more suited to beginners/low intermediate. You get what you pay for. If you have skied extensively you will be underwhelmed. Can spend a hell of a long time queueing. Some people love it, personally I think it's a decent enough place to spend a week deciding if you enjoy skiing without breaking the bank but thats about it. Very Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Fine for intermediates dont go in February or New Year/Orthodox Xmas....long long lift lines.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
baghdad skier wrote:
Fine for intermediates dont go in February or New Year/Orthodox Xmas....long long lift lines.
+1

Also relatively long transfer.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pugwashuk, I've never been skiing in Bulgaria, but there have been some reports that the on slope toilet facilities might not quite be up to the standard you are used to in Austria: wink

http://youtube.com/v/wOIYm5B_Pw8
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks to everyone for all of your input, looks like its back to Austria or Italy.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pugwashuk wrote:
... looks like its back to Austria or Italy.

You wont regret it. wink
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Alastair Pink, That nearly made my die laughing. I'd not seen it before. Brilliant.

latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:
If you have skied extensively you will be underwhelmed

Not necessarily. After 24 years skiing and visiting about 150 ski areas in 15 countries Mrs MA and I loved Bansko. Admittedly, we were only there for 3 days in low season (January) but really enjoyed it - mind we had very quiet slopes, no queues and a couple of powder days. We found some great (steep) off piste and tree skiing.

Overall, we just love to ski anywhere - it's great to try new places and we can enjoy a day at a small area with two lifts as much as spending time in the mega-areas of the Alps.

We'd read all about the plusses and minuses of Bansko/Bulgaria but travelled with an open mind and thoroughly enjoyed it. The town and resort infrastructure were a lot better than we were anticipating and our (self catering) accommodation was as good as any we've stayed at in North America (ie spacious and very modern) - and we had no problems with the toilet arrangements....
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've been skiing for 20 years and also live in Bulgaria for 6 months of the year. I have skied in Bansko a number of times and would say there is enough to keep a decent skier going for a day or two but after that.........Always been queues when I have been as only one bubble up from the town. No longer that much of a cheap option - two and half to 3 hour transfer from Sofia. Not great snow record. Lovely old town, completely spoilt by over development.

If want to try Bulgaria, try Borovets, less than an hour from airport, some of lifts quite old but at least a few more options for getting out of the main resort without queuing. Have spent a fun few days there.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
In the midst of the credit crunch and when I was on a 3 day working week because we were so quiet Mrs.D, Little D and I managed a week in borovets, 3* HB in the Lion hotel.

I knew what we were letting ourselves in for but we were so skint there was no way we could afford european prices and we ended up having one of the best holidays we'd had in ages. We met up with a load of people in our hotel and had a blast.

The skiing was pretty basic but little D was 4 so we assumed the 80ish KM would be adequate.

Food in the hotel, despite the scaremongering on tripadvisor, was very good and the beer was cheap.

I'd say we spent around £1500 in total for three of us on a half board basis including passes and my sons ski hire, cant beat that really when we didn't think we were going at all.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Have to say I stayed half board at a hotel somewhere along main strip and was help yourself buffet style every meal time but was really good.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Alastair Pink, that video is epic! Smile Smile

I've boarded Bansko and it’s what I expected...cheap and cheerful. Hotel was clean and food ok. Budget was tight this year so I’ve just booked again for this season. Got a great deal on the 4 star hotel lion. 1 week half board, Flights, transfers, lift passes and carriage for just over 2k in total for 4 of us, including 3 days of lessons for 2.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
VERY cheap and cheerful, though don't expect to be tested too much if you're an advanced skier.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yup when we in Borovets the hotel food and the mountain food if you avoided the places the instructors used was fine, though that said me and the kids happily eat whatever the local food is wherever we are and there was some whining in the group from those who won't try anything they wouldn't cook at home!
ski holidays
Stay at the Kempinski... its ski to door at the bottom of the slope and staying at the Kempinski means you get a VIP lift pass (queue jump in the mornings!)
ski holidays
Bankso VIP, hahaha.
snow report
Quote:

you get a VIP lift pass

and a VIP bog pass?
snow conditions
pam w, You might get the VIP pass, but the bog will be the same.

Where is JB1970, he loves it there.
ski holidays
the vip pass is for bansko (lot of wealthy russians around) the bog is in Borovets, totally different places. There is a World Cup run in Bansko called the tomba, but have to agree the runs are more challenging in Borovets. Both pretty snow sure now due to the recent investment in cannons and infrastructure. For a cheap break id rather go to Borovets than some french resorts...... not so many flippin brits these days Cool
ski holidays
iskar wrote:
There is a World Cup run in Bansko called the tomba,

Euro Cup not World Cup. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Mollerski wrote:
iskar wrote:

world cup for the last 3
years
snow report
Alastair Pink, and who says skiing is only for elite of society! Laughing Laughing
latest report
Dave Canski wrote:
Mollerski wrote:
iskar wrote:

world cup for the last 3
years

http://www.fisalpine.com/venues/calendar.html?

Where? Puzzled
latest report
Mollerski, 2nd page of last year's schedule...
snow conditions
MoodyFFS, Ah, right. wink

I've skied the Tomba run and I've skied the Val Gardena FIS mens Worldcup DH course. Interestingly, they are VERY different. Laughing
ski holidays
I would not go back to Bansko it just does not live up to Austria. If you have skied Austria you will be disappointed. The journey from the airport is terrible. I cant make peoples minds up each person is different and you could love it.
ski holidays
pugwashuk, Bulgaria is set to be the new Cote d'Azure and Bansko will soon enough be up there with Vail, Aspen, Zermatt, Courcheval 1850, Val D'Isere and Megeve as one of the the destinations for the world's super rich.

So rather than just booking a holiday- invest and buy an apartment as quickly as possible, you can't fail to make a massive profit as studies have shown that property investments in emerging Eastern European markets are bound to make money. Use Warren Buffet's tried and tested formula and be a contrarian investor.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
oh sorry as Alastair Pink says

it's a bit of a poo-poo hole actually.
latest report
Mollerski wrote:
iskar wrote:

Very Happy where have you been???? its been a WC run for the last few years!!! come on keep up............... (didnt you see the video of Bode and his rather different finish ie backwards, from last year well worth a search.
latest report
Bansko`s fine for a week at a time and you can get excellent quality food etc and have a great holiday for a fraction of what you would pay elsewhere, for a Bansko Guide, with recommended restaurants etc check out this Trip Adviser Link:

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g318870-i9494-k4282674-o30-My_Bansko_Guide-Bansko_Blagoevgrad_Province.html#52811298
snow conditions
ed123 wrote:
pugwashuk, Bulgaria is set to be the new Cote d'Azure and Bansko will soon enough be up there with Vail, Aspen, Zermatt, Courcheval 1850, Val D'Isere and Megeve as one of the the destinations for the world's super rich.

So rather than just booking a holiday- invest and buy an apartment as quickly as possible, you can't fail to make a massive profit as studies have shown that property investments in emerging Eastern European markets are bound to make money. Use Warren Buffet's tried and tested formula and be a contrarian investor.

WHAT
Has that just been copied from an MRI investment literature circa 2007. Bansko is what it is, but it certainly ain't somewhere to invest in property. I've been there a couple of times and had a good time both times, second was a last minute booking at the Kempinski that was bizarre, 5 star luxury served up by locals who did not understand what was expected from them.

TBH the first time I went I was interested in investing, the minute we arrived I suddenly lost any interest, with the benefit of hindsight that was an excellent decision. The funniest story I heard was from a chap who had an apartment there and was paying a management company. He had his suspicions so he just turned up one day to find 4 local builders in residence, he ended up in the Kempinski he couldn't get the builders moved.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy