Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Want to try Skinning at Hemel? Sat 6th October.

Poster: A snowHead
feef, no worries. What BSL do your boots have?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Kelskii, 302
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Glad others may bring something else for the mix. Very Happy

DrLawn sorry, didn't see your PM - see my new PM
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
8 am seems awfully early. But I will be actually staying in Hemel Hempstead that weekend, so it would be rude not to.

I will bring my Gotamas with marker barons + skins (unused so far).
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
lampbus, yes, it does seem awfully early, but I gather that it gets very full very quickly at the weekend so that's when they would prefer we do it. That was the reason I would have preferred a weekday, but I knew most people probably wouldn't be able to do that.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
i can't make this now as a taxi knocked me off my bike as i was cycling to work yesterday Sad The broken arm won't heal in time but hopefully, will be ok for st anton over new year. Enjoy those kick turns.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Kelskii, sorry to hear that - get well soon.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have not used my barons on my bros yet so am interested, I'll need to do it in my alpine boots though. I would much prefer a weekday, even at 8am on a weekend I can't see us doing switchbacks up the slope with people skiing down working too well.... at least we won't have to wait ages in the lift queue though, ha ha!

If we are staying any longer I'll bring another pair of skis, 180 37m skis in a fridge is not my idea of fun.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi All, Im I making this a booking for the 6th October? Need to get it in place as its only next week and its starting to look busy (freestyle camps from 10.30, BASI refresher from 10am).

Let me know

PSG
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
gilleski, yes, that's right. I informed Pete a week ago.

narc, yes, I agree - we could have met on Thursday and done a quick one as I planned with DrLawn - except he fell ill.

The idea is just to walk up the edge and there should, I hope, be a fairly wide jump on the left (not in use - left over from Friday) where we can use the landing ramp for kick turns. I tried it very briefly on Thursday morning and it was OKish.

I shall also be in Alpine boots. Slightly regretting getting Barons rather than Fritschi Freerides this time, since you have to take the ski off to release or fix down the heel, and I haven't yet managed to do the heel-raise with my ski stick - always end up squatting to do it. Still, I may get used to it.

My very old skinny spare skins have a tiny fixing for the shovel end meant for old pointed skis - not sure if they will stay on if I try to use them on my Missions but we'll see. The glue isn't that sticky now either.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 28-09-12 17:46; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'd be interested if it wasn't 200 miles away, if anyone wants a similar shot at Cass-Vegas or Davyhulme fridge Factore let me know and we'll start another thread and look into an Oop North sesh?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just a thought but duck tape would probably hold the skins to the tip if the the loop is not long enough. Bit of a bodge but ok for a short session like this. Have fun.

snowball wrote:

narc, yes, I agree - we could have met on Thursday and done a quick one as I planned with DrLawn - except he fell ill.

My very old skinny spare skins have a tiny fixing for the shovel end meant for old pointed skis - not sure if they will stay on if I try to use them on my Missions but we'll see. The glue isn't that sticky now either.

I
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
snowball wrote:
Not sure if you're aware, but gilleski and Pete are the same person.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

i can't make this now as a taxi knocked me off my bike as i was cycling to work yesterday ... The broken arm won't heal in time

Sad how miserable. Hope it gets better in time for your New Year holiday.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rob@rar wrote:
Not sure if you're aware, but gilleski and Pete are the same person.

No, I wasn't aware. Embarassed

I emailed the said Pete/gilleski again 3 days ago; partly to ask about the ramp. I hope hope he/they is/are getting these emails.
snow conditions
Damn, Pete has answered saying we cannot use the ramp since others have booked it for later and want it freshly reshaped.
I hope we can find some way around this because I get the impression everyone has tried skinning before and the main refresher skill is likely to be Kick turns. These are only done on steeper slopes and you just don't get an idea of what the difficulties are if you do it on the flat (I tried last Thursday and the ramp is just minimally steep enough). I am trying to contact him and hope some solution can be found or it will be a very short session on the snow. It would be very easy to smooth the slope by hand but perhaps we might have to pay for a single pass of the piste-basher to smooth the slope afterwards? I just don't know.
snow report
snowball wrote:
I get the impression everyone has tried skinning before

Not me Smile
ski holidays
feef - ah good!

It is not looking good for the ramp so I expect the session will be quite short.
latest report
I will also bring Harscheisen (also known as Ski Crampons, or Couteaux in France).
It strikes me that if I and some others brought avalanche transceivers we could even demonstrate/practice that in a very limited way (if anyone is interested).
I am awaiting an answer from Pete about some substitute for the ramp.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 2-10-12 14:15; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
Guys if you are skiing up at this time you need to avoid the four to seven year old Snowstars who are training from 8 to 9.30am...mouth junior included! Toofy Grin
snow report
Mouth, it sounds like they will have to avoid us. However if they have a race course we will, of course, use the other edge (though probably not for very long).
snow report
It'll be a race.. who's quicker to the top, skins or poma?

I don't know about Hemel, but one of the Pomas at MK runs like a crippled sloth when beginners lessons are on.
snow conditions
OK, looks like we will be doing our kick turns on the steepest bit of the trainer slope designed for sledging. If it is the one I remember from Thursday I think it will do, though I would have preferred a bit steeper.
snow report
Mouth, can you pass on the details I sent you to the other parents in the snowstars group, I am away for a while and wont be in to see Lesley...
snow report
snowball, if you are doing avi practice inside be aware that the metal pylons can cause some problems with beepers (we did a club night and buried a few too close to metal)
snow report
skimottaret, thanks- remains to be seen if anyone is interested in that. Does this apply to the walls too?
ski holidays
I have never skinned up...or kick turned uphill...(can kick turn across hill facing down)
snow report
snowball, apologies, just picked up your PM. Can't make this weekend now unfortunately but thanks for including me
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
lampbus, The more people who haven't tried the better. I hope those who have done it will pitch in with stuff I don't know (particularly about lightweight touring gear).
snow report
OK, I think that is 7 of us, having lost 4 of the original people: me, plus feef, Big Paua, anarchicsaltire, lampbus, ALQ, narc. Anyone else who happens to be there are welcome to join in - it costs nothing.
Peter Gillespie is offering us a full-day ticket for £25 if we want to go on skiing after (ask at the desk if you want it). Unless you are a member staying only one hour this is your cheapest option in any case.

I suggest that I and anyone else who is ready might do a couple of descents of the main slope while it is empty at 8.00 and hopefully everyone will have arrived onto the slope by 8.10 or 8.15 and we can start on the learners slope on the right where we will do most of it and won't be bothered by the crowds. Does that sound OK? If people prefer we could start the session at 8.30. There will be a group using the sledging slope at 10.00 so we have plenty of time. However we should probably start earlier if we want to walk up the big slope at all.

I will be wearing a red jacket and I look like this:
(click to enlarge)
David (snowball)

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Wed 3-10-12 16:32; edited 6 times in total
ski holidays
Thanks for arranging this snowball. So no cost at all as long as we stay off the main slope?
snow conditions
And I'll have a grey helmet which has turquoise patterns on only the left hand side, black checked jacket, grey pants and green skis

I do also answer to the name 'feef' in real life too.
ski holidays
narc wrote:
Thanks for arranging this snowball. So no cost at all as long as we stay off the main slope?
Sorry, I meant nothing for the session. However the £25 offer is less than even a one hour weekend ticket. The full day ticket for a non member is £45!!!!
snow conditions
snowball wrote:
narc wrote:
Sorry, I meant nothing for the session. However the £25 offer is less than even a one hour weekend ticket. The full day ticket for a non member is £45!!!!

I thought that sounded a bit too good to be true! What/who do we mention at the desk to get the £25 ticket? If that is the cheapest option I'll take a pair of sl skis for later just in case it doesn't get crowded.

I will be in a blue top, black pants, red/white boots and light blue skis.
ski holidays
Assuming Pete remembers to tell them, just say you are with the snowheads 8.00am skinning session (or if they question it say it was offered us by Pete Gillespie, who runs the place). The price is the BASI day rate.
snow conditions
Hi All, as I said I will be in so please ask for me at reception. If you just rick up and say " we are here to skin up " they will probably call the police!

I will be there to set it up.

Thanks

PSG
ski holidays
snowball, interested to learn more about this so it's great you've got the ball rolling. Wrong side of London to get to Hemel for 8am though. D'you think it's worth me coming if I can't get there til mid-morning? If yes, should I bring own skis/boots?
latest report
snowball, Sorry, but I won't be at Hemel on Saturday. Have Fun.
snow conditions
Jude1, yes I could show you some things but we will be rather limited in what we can do (there will not be a steeper slope to do kick turns on after 10.00) but I think we could probably walk around on the edge of the normal 10º slope in the lee of the jump (we cannot use the landing ramp itself). Still, better than nothing and I can explain the equipment etc.
What is the earliest you could arrive on slope (allowing time to buy ticket and change)? Will you be coming round the M25 (it is very convenient for that. Have you been before?)
Normally I would never suggest skiing at HH this close to the ski season on a weekend but needs must in this case.
snow report
anarchicsaltire, oh dear, not another drop-out. I'm not sure if anyone else had Dynafit type bindings?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy