Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Transfer from Zurich/Frankfurt to St Anton in Austria

Poster: A snowHead
Hi

I am going with friends to St Anton in Austria this January, and am wondering what's the best/fastest/most economical way to reach it?

We can get an airplane to Zurich or Frankfurt, and depart from there. If anyone has traveled this route and can give tips on how to move on next till St Anton - would be much appreciated!

Greets and have a good day!

Svetla
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
chiarina, I've done it from Zurich. You can either do it by direct coach transfer from the airport or by train with one change at Zurich central. If you have children with you the train will be cheaper as there are big reductions for them. The train was around 3 hours from memory.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
chiarina, As far as Zurich is concerned, there is a train service to St Anton usually one change though it depends on the train. At weekends there is also a bus service 'Arlberg express' tourist office website has details.
Can't help with Frankfurt.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Zurich would make a lot more sense. From Frankfurt, by train, you'd need a few changes (if you're lucky it would be 1 change in Stuttgart or Zurich, in reality 2-3 changes). Frankfurt to St.Anton will be 6-7 hours train, probably the same by car. Zurich to St.Anton must surely be closer to 2 hours?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
chiarina, forget it as far as Frankfurt is concerned, you would have to plan in at least another 5/6 hours road journey and that is assuming there are no delays. Even going by train would not save you that much time either. Fly to Zurich, either directly or via Frankfurt (but that may bump up your costs), then catch anyone of the numerous transfer coaches or the train direct to St Anton.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks very much for those speedy replies! Checking the alberg express since it seems to offer an airport-to-door service (wouldn't like to switch trains carrying our ski equipment..)

Greets!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
chiarina, I always check this guy's website... http://www.st-antonamarlberg.co.uk/

Frankfurt is possible depending on flights. I've flown to Innsbruck via Frankfurt a few times and then grabbed the direct train to St Anton. It can work out very well. The Frankfurt-Innsbruck flight was on a turbo prop but they still took my skis.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Zurich is a very easy train ride (don't worry about switching trains, it really isn't that much hassle), and I believe several coaches do the shuttle too. Frankfurt will be a right mission of a transfer.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
chiarina, Even though car hire is v expensive at Zurich/Kloten, if there's a few of you it's prolly worth it. Fairly straight forward drive (2.5 Hrs) if you take your TomTom One with you. And you have the added advantage of drive round to Lech/Zurs, and staying in St Jacob (better value accommodation).
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
chiarina, The other way of doing this is to fly Sofia/Vienna and then Vienna/Innsbruck on Austrian Airlines - check luggage all the way through, around 3:45 total journey time. Direct train from Innsbruck to St A is just one hour. Unlike Zurich though, you need to get bus from Innsbruck Airport to the train station but, overall, not a lot in it.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Bode Swiller, she could just fly to Vienna and take the train from there to St. Anton. There should be a direct train from Vienna to Zurich that stops in the resort (the direct train from Zurich to Vienna certainly does).
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Similarly I've flown from Frankfurt to Freidrichshafen and rented a car, I think its also possible to get a train from the airport there, but Zurich is far easier, about two hours by car or three by train, you can get on it at the airport and it brings you right into the centre of the resort, very easy. I think I paid €40 return on special offer where ou can't change the time of the trains after purchase.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
cerebralvortex, it's a direct train but nearly 6 hours.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bode Swiller, true. But, when you take into account the layover and flight time to get to Innsbruck, the simplicity of jumping on the train in Vienna might outweigh time saved by grabbing another flight.

Still, Zurich is the best choice if you can get a cheap flight there.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
cerebralvortex, actually, if chiarina lives in Sofia, why not just drive up the road a few hours and go skiing?
latest report
Bode Swiller, I'm guessing this is a "special" trip in addition to the regular trips to more local resorts. It's like my brother going on a trip to the Rockies when he can drive up the road to a few places in Pennsylvania. He does the local drive many weekends and the special trip once or twice a season.
ski holidays
Yes, this is a 'special' trip indeed Smile

I contacted already one of the shuttle mini buses suggested from Zurich (thanks everyone for your speedy replies) and seems like we can still book him (shuttles are almost full for January saturdays? I was surprised!), so I'm happy.

Thanks again!
snow conditions
Bode Swiller wrote:
cerebralvortex, it's a direct train but nearly 6 hours.

Just make sure you get the right train! Accidentally got the slow train (Vienna-IBK) once, took about 8 hours! Oops...
snow report
chiarina wrote:
Hi

I am going with friends to St Anton in Austria this January, and am wondering what's the best/fastest/most economical way to reach it?

We can get an airplane to Zurich or Frankfurt, and depart from there. If anyone has traveled this route and can give tips on how to move on next till St Anton - would be much appreciated!

Greets and have a good day!

Svetla

From Zurich - you can choose between train and bus (http://www.arlbergexpress.com/en/willkommen)
Also it is possible to find some very cheap train ticket. Check www.sbb.ch or www.oebb.at
But be carefull - the last train depart from Zurich around 20.30
From Frankfurt it is possible to travel to St.Anton by train. Usual it is long and boring journey.
snow report
It's about 3 hours by train from Zurich, if you get a train from the airport you'll need to change trains in town. You may need more changes depending on time, but there are also direct trains from Zurich HB.
ski holidays
Its a no brainer, just jump on the train
snow conditions
You can book in advance and get a much cheaper ticket - I think 19 euros 2nd class. Use the timetable on the oebb site and then look at prices. You can buy the ticket and print it at home. The direct trains aren't very frequent, I think the 14:20 from Zurich is one of them, seems to be the one we use most. It gets to Worgl about 19:00. The timetable hasn't been issued for January yet, and you can't buy tickets until it is - it won't be too long. Zurich is very convenient for Austria with this train link and cheap if you get the advance tickets. First class is another 20 euros, well worth it.
ski holidays
Zurich.

Much easier & quicker.
snow report
I have used both the train (direct train from Zurich main station goes only 1-2/day) and Arlbergexpress shuttle depending on my flight times. Be advised that the latter goes over the Arlberg Pass which, if it's snowing heavily, will be closed.
snow conditions
snowman wrote:
I have used both the train (direct train from Zurich main station goes only 1-2/day) and Arlbergexpress shuttle depending on my flight times. Be advised that the latter goes over the Arlberg Pass which, if it's snowing heavily, will be closed.

So if it's closed won't they go through the tunnel? So it's not really a problem either way.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy