Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kick turns

Poster: A snowHead
Wierd one this but here goes..........bound to get some wize cracks here I'm sure wink

Keen to practice kick turns, but was just thinking how to do it here in UK rather than messing about when I get out on the real stuff where I'll want to be skiing rather than messing about. Equally I dont want to be all skinned-up and half way up a 30 degree slope and falling over due to lack of practice.

Just thinking "how"?...........cant really go to a fridge, all the tune-up boarders would whizz by thinking I'm the local dimlo, and its an expensive use of a fridge. Also I'd likely get wierd looks from passers-by in the local steep field with my skis on. Any excercises/ rigs set up/ demo nights etc at fridges that anyones come across?

Laughing
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ballet lessons??

wink
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mosha Marc, It didnt take long eh?!

Looks like he's got his undies stuffed down his pants, needs a good feed too...........
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
There are two different techniques, I will dig out the youtube vids and post. Being stiff in the hip I find one of them easier than the other.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
To be specific, it's uphill kick turns you're on about - isn't it?

Difficult to practice on anything but the real thing IMHO. There's not much to the basic turn - it's the realities of doing it on steep snow that can make it difficult.

1) build a good platform - you'll be standing on one leg in a minute and you don't want it to collapse
2) get your poles in the ground but out of the way
3) flip your uphill leg round to 'third position' - as above
4) * make sure it's safe *
5) readjust poles to keep them out of the way again
6) extend downhill leg straight out behind you so the ski tip is up near your hip
7) if necessary give heel a little flick to bring toe up
8) rotate femur in hip and the ski should wizz round and land next to the other

The only tricky bit is getting the downhill ski out of the way to let it rotate. But it really doesn't take much practice. You should have it cracked in the first half dozen turns so, unless you intend going straight at a cliff, I wouldn't worry about it and just learn on the job.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You could just do it in the garden, or find a secluded place on a hill. Doesn't have to be snowy. Or why not at the edge of the fridge slope. I've done that. OK you might get some looks but more than likely they would just be curious.

You have set me thinking. Perhaps I could take my skins to Hemel and practice uphill kick turns. I wonder if anyone would mind me walking up beside the pomma.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Wed 12-09-12 14:05; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Surely if he meant uphill turns he would have said so?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!

youtube.com/v/IjkCTQLicHo

This is the one I find easier as your ski tips don't foul the hill and you don't need such a well timed kick.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.

http://youtube.com/v/B_GT3uGnVK4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

This is the classic method, bear in mind this guy is very good at it and is on telemark skis.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
jbob, out of interest what's the other technique? I've never had any formal skinning instruction so just do it like the guy in your video as that seemed natural.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Urmm, those both look the same to me. Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yes its uphill ones, found some good stuff on Youtube, think it'll be on the hill practice.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I was going to suggest we go to the fridge together, with skins, so we don't feel so silly, but I now notice you are in Yorkshire.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowball, yeah, might get some snow up here in next few weeks and then I could practice in the garden............. Not such a daft idea in hindsight.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Markymark29, If you go to this video and move the cursor to about 18minutes into the film, you will see Hannes Schneider demonstrating how to do a kick turn to Leni Riefenstahl (from a classic 1931 ski film!) Madeye-Smiley
Mind you I think those skis will have been a bit longer than modern ones so it should be easier to do them now! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
When it gets steeper you have to make a platform with your skis, getting your skis horizontal on the slope and turn the first ski to as near as possible parallel with the other.

I don't know about the second method. Could it be bringing the lower ski around to above the other? The second ski is then being revolved downhill so is not hard to keep clear of the snow by bending your knee.
I can do that but like with the slight variant of the first version I just mentioned, you have to be quite flexible to do the initial move.
latest report
I posted the vids as its hard to describe, for me anyway. On shallow slopes it's just a case of shuffling the skis round in a sort of star/pizza shape up to the limits of the skins adherence (see thread on physics and friction).

As it gets steeper the ski has to remain more across the hill and as snowball, says on the steepest ground almost horizontal.

If you look closely at the two vids, in the first each leg is moved in two distinct phases, drawing back the foot until the ski tip is near the ankle, then rotating the leg, at all times keeping the ski tip close to the snow. In the second the two moves are combined, however this results in the position the second guy is in, in the still image above where the ski is up in the air and he must get the kick in to lift the tip away from the snow and avoid hiting himself in the face.

Practicing indoors I think will be of limited use. Stretching will help a lot.

The acid test is when your knackered, on steep ground with a heavy pack, and both legs are pointing in different directions. I doubt that's straightforward to practice in a snow dome. wink

If the ground is steepening to the point where you will need to boot pack at some point anyway I think it's better to start boot packing sooner rather than later.
latest report
jbob wrote:

Practicing indoors I think will be of limited use. Stretching will help a lot.

In the snowdome I was thinking of it more as a stretching exercise, plus practice in putting on and taking off skins. Though when they have jumps constructed but not in use you could do kick turns on the landing slope perhaps?

jbob wrote:

If the ground is steepening to the point where you will need to boot pack at some point anyway I think it's better to start boot packing sooner rather than later.
Absolutely. I've been in a real fix a couple of times trying to take off skins on steepish slopes.
latest report
Markymark29, use your stairs (assuming you don't live in a bungalow) and some imagination.
The thing that holds people back the most is being able to step up onto and balance on the uphill foot when it is in the "turned out position' (ie halfway through the process). Most folks I see struggling can't do this, and as a result have no time to do anything with the other foot/ski (other than get it stuck in an awkward position). Stand up onto the new foot & balance - lift the 'old' downhill foot off the snow (or lower stair) without turning it then continue with the flick/kick/turn bit...
snow conditions
Markymark29, I'd be up for a practise session if we get some snow, especially as I just bought my Yad Moss season pass Smile
ski holidays
helps a lot if you have decent flexibility in the hips - some of the creaky old men I ski with just can't get their uphill leg around. now's the time to start stretching if i just described you!
latest report
Yes, I find it quite hard to get my leg over these days.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy