Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Looking for a romantic ski get away in Italy with my wife.

Poster: A snowHead
Hello Guys,

Im pretty new here in the forum but i have been reeding it a lot lately. People seams to be very helpful around here, so if you guys can give me some guidance would be very much appreciated.

Iam going to ski in Europe for the first time with my wife. We are intermediate level, but the mountain is not my priority. ( I am assuming that anything in Italy would be at least decent). I am looking for a budget romantic chalet to stay with my wife. I would like to spend around 400 euros - 450 maximum and I am planing to go for 4 week nights around January since it seams the cheapest time to go.

I am not familiar with the mountains in Europe at all, but after a lot of research I arrive to Souze D'oulx. It seams a good option- good snow, mountain and affordable prices . However I havent been able to find a nice chalet, most of the places are very simple and have bad reviews.

Honestly, it does not have to be in Italy. I chose souze d'ouxl because I could fly to torin and than is only 100km from there. It is a lot of work to research how to arrive at the resort since I am not buying any deal, I am doing all by my self - ticket, transportation and resort.

If you guys know any specific "romantic" place or areas (such as COURMAYEUR but it was bit price), it could even be in france or austria, as long as it is simple to get there buy my self, I would be really happy to know. Anything would be welcome.

Another thing: I am really trying to avoid the 7 days deals - sat to sat. I am researching for mon-fri and I really would like to avoid the places where the snow is kind of bad such as in Pyreness. According to what I read the snow there is not so good due to its location. (a bit more warm)

Thank you very much guys and I am looking forward for the replies!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi and welcome!
I wanna be your wife! lol.

Anyway, if you search Aosta you might come up with somewhere close to coumayeur that isnt quite as pricey. Pila, La thuile and La Rosiere are all in the same area and your liftpass can be used in these resorts too. I have been to La Thuile- great skiing but not romantic IMHO.

I'm sure that someone who has travelled more extensively than myself will come along over the next couple of days with some more concrete advice.

Italy in general and the smaller Austrian resorts tend to be cheaper than a lot of France so I think your on the right lines.

We went to Maria Alm (Austria) last year and loved it, small resort but connected to several other areas on 1 liftpass. Chocolate box pretty, we stayed in a guest house rather than a chalet so can't advise about that, but Austrian guesthouses in my experience tend to be smaller family run places, friendly, clean and sometimes quite unique, perhaps worth considering.

With your budget I'd be surprised if you could get a 5 day exclusive rent on a chalet anywhere unless you took the last (probably twin) room left in a chalet occupied by a stag week, which is why I would look at smaller guest houses. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Whichever country/resort you will settle on you should be checking hotels, rather than chalets, because these are often offered for week-long stays.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
here's a few

http://www.chaletdulys.it/

http://www.tripadvisor.nl/Hotel_Review-g608940-d1742418-Reviews-Chalet_du_Lys-Gressoney_la_Trinite_Valle_d_Aosta.html
http://www.tripadvisor.nl/Hotel_Review-g608940-d1796871-Reviews-Residence_Dei_Walser-Gressoney_la_Trinite_Valle_d_Aosta.html
http://www.tripadvisor.nl/Hotel_Review-g608940-d1192147-Reviews-Il_Piccolo_Residence-Gressoney_la_Trinite_Valle_d_Aosta.html
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
bfz, Souze D'oulx is not what springs to mind when I think romantic! Try looking at Madonna Del Campigno, or Sestriear in Italy.

Austrian options Zell Em zee
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks a lot guys. I will definitely check all this places.

So far we have a reservation at http://www.booking.com/hotel/it/villaggio-olimpico-sestriere.en-gb.html?sid=ce4a6b4fbd0e9a077d12de3f8b4140fe;dcid=1;checkin=2012-09-29;checkout=2012-09-30;srfid=3b95d63d0354063bb094e7a57f93f5a4X7 and http://www.booking.com/hotel/it/grand-la-torre.en-gb.html?sid=ce4a6b4fbd0e9a077d12de3f8b4140fe;dcid=1;checkin=2013-01-07;checkout=2013-01-11;srfid=1b880203ec9d3a15b108fb5fd3f37b1eX2

Right now we are going towards the milky way but we are very flexible. We are still deciding if we should stay in souze or sestriere. Any tips ?

I know that these two hotel are not romantic get away but they are the best cost to benefit places i found so fair.

Keep it coming guys. Any tips or advice abouts any area, resort, country or specific hotels are really helpful.

Once again I really appreciate all the help.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
bfz, another option, in context of need for reasonable pricing and a bit of romance, would be to stay in Aosta town, and ski in Pila. Ie get the gondola in the morning all the way up from valley floor to mountain, and back in evening. Aosta is a loverly (in the centre of at least) old roman town. Pila has v nice skiing for a relatively short break for intermediates. Or stay in Pila itself - Hotel Plan Bois is in a nice spot at v top of mountain.

Dunno much about Sestriere.

Tripadvisor is a much maligned thing, but if you are looking at specific hotels it usually does give you a sense of whether the place is a Fawlty Towers or not wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
bfz, What price point did you consider expensive in Courmayeur ? I have stayed here several times.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

What price point did you consider expensive in Courmayeur ?

I am looking for something around 400 euros top 450. I know that is not a lot but during January the prices are a bit more affordable.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Aosta is a big town down in a big valley, with a bit of low skiing off to one side - not my idea of an Alpine holiday. Sestriere is a bit of a modern monstrosity in my opinion (though in a nice location) and the outlying part of Souze I've tried to get lunch at was a bit cheap and nasty (though I gather the old town is nice). For romantic scenery at not too much expense I'd have said perhaps the Dolomites (probably somewhere on the Sella Ronda) - some of the most stunning scenery in the world - but it is a bit hard to get to if you aren't on a package. Worth considering smaller places in Austria but don't bother with Switzerland - the exchange rate has made it ridiculously expensive.

To be honest your price is going to be hard to meet. What will it cover? I assume that is per person? Lift passes and ski and boot hire will presumably be extra?

In the larger resorts and places that they are confident they can fill their beds it is getting very difficult to do other than Saturday to Saturday. However Monday to Friday (leaving on the Friday) would leave them open for week-end visitors so might well be possible.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 12-09-12 10:51; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Get a book called White Weekends by Tim Robbins http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=white+weekends+tom+robbins&tag=amz07b-21&index=stripbooks&hvadid=9030102065&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15525554711200649069&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&ref=pd_sl_6h6ao4i6wp_e

Has got a good few suggestions in there for romantic getaway ski trips, some of which are in Italy. Good book to have anyway
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I am sure for 450 euros you should be able to find an accomodation for 4 nights for two people in Courmayeur. flights, tranfers, passes etc will be extra. But accommodation for two is realsitic. Booking.com is your friend especially if you book soon:) on the other hand 400 euros per person for everything can be little bit ambitious for most places.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
bfz, Cortina would be an attractive option.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I really appreciate the tips.
Just to be clear to everyone. I willing to spend up to 450 euro only for the hotel/chalet for the two of us.
Im not considering all the other costs.

Any places specifically in Austria?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Any places specifically in Austria

Maria Alm is lovely (although I've only been for a few hours in the summer - so can only be even nicer in winter)
Stuben is a really nice wee village with not much to it, other than some awesome skiing on its doorstep (the Arlberg region)
snow report
Gressoney or Champoluc are both nice little places with a few 2* hotels that should fit your requirements, they are close to Turin and the skiing is great too:-)

La Clusaz is pretty nice too and easy to get to from Geneva, probably a little bit more expensive than the above.

Lots of nice villages in the Salzburg area that are pretty reasonable, maybe take a look at Altenmarkt or Radstatt (I'd advise having a car to be able to explore the various mountains in the area as they are no interlinked even though they share a pass.

I'm looking at Schruns in Montafon (Austria) for this season (see another thread:-) ), I think that would also fit your needs and is easy to get to from Zurich but I've not been there yet... As boabski says Stuben might also meet your needs, also not too far from Zurich.
ski holidays
bfz, if you like sheep the Bergerie in Morzine is very cute. But in a very sheepy sort of way.
snow report
Hotel Dufour in Gressoney is wonderful, but probably too expensive.
snow conditions
If you are OK with a smaller resort you could consider Val Cenis which is France but much cheaper than the better known French resorts. Hotel Etoile de Neige is good and good value.
By chalet do you mean a catered chalet like the British Tour companies do? This is not something you get often otherwise in the Alps. Normally the choice is Between Hotel (half-board or B&B) or self-catering which is much cheaper.
snow report
bfz, Definitely check with booking.com in this case. For the hotel only this price is realistic even for Courmayeur, but you should hurry, January is a popular month because it's "quiet".
snow conditions
Someone above suggested La Thuile but that it wasn't very romantic, well...

http://www.hotelmaisondeneige.it/pag/home_win.html

This hotel is actually up on the ski runs and is only accessible by skidoo! As a romantic retreat away from everything it's fantastic. The only down side is that it's on a red run, so you need to be able to ski to a reasonable standard to get in and out. Worth a look though!
latest report
Macugnaga is a cute as Italian resort. Very few Brits, a Chocolate Box village, dramatic mountains all around & a few mostly gentle, often tree-lined ski runs with quiet, cosy bars, hotels & restaurants in the village.
ski holidays
bfz,
Your getting so many good suggestions already.

I agree with a lot of them, I was thinking Aosta ... for the budget.
My fist thought was Cormayer .. my wife was smitten by the "ear ring shop".
I had never heard of La Thuile till two days before I went there, a very under rated resort ...a bit quite at night.

Here is one in Austria that may be worth a look at "Gosau". Its intermediate easy skiing and I'm sure that you would get a good rate Monday to Friday. If the weather is bad you can do the "Sound Of Music" thing in Salzburg.
ski holidays
Have a look at Bormio - if you're looking for a romantic break - lovely historic old town, spa baths, and the views from the Restaurant at 3000 is one of the best I've ever seen in the mountains.
latest report
Alleghe is a pretty place by a lake in the Dolomites, which are said to be the most beautiful mountains in the world:

There's gondola access to the pretty 80km Civetta ski area:

A 25 min free bus ride takes you over to the Marmolada ski are which links into the Sella Ronda.

It's not far from Venice for the airport and maybe a stopover in the World's most Romantic city??

wink snowHead
snow report
luigi, Good call Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Good shout from luigi there. Never heard of the place - does look lovely for a shorter break.

Another recommendation for Madonna di Campiglio, although you will need to research for good deals - it is not generally regarded as one of the cheaper destinations. It is genuinely quite charming, is in a stunning setting surrounded by the mountains, with easy access to the slopes.
snow conditions
Cheers guys, a bit of an undiscovered gem, even by Italians, so not as chi-chi as it should be. Plenty of good value hotels and relatively empty midweek away from holiday times, New Year.

Can't resist posting another pic in the summertime, with the 1000m plus West Wall of the Civetta mountain (3220m) looming, the ski area is on the left shoulder of the mountain out of shot and round the back, amazing views of sheer limestone cliffs, towers and buttresses wherever you look:

ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowHead
latest report
Chasseur wrote:
Good shout from luigi there. Never heard of the place - does look lovely for a shorter break.

Some of us checked out the skiing at Alleghe one day on this year's Snowheads Birthday Bash wink . It's part of the WW1 ski tour (the area saw fierce fighting between the Italians and Austrians). It's only about a 20 minute bus ride (free with the Dolomiti skipass) from the Marmolada cable car base station at Malga Ciapela to Alleghe. Skiing over the Civetta area luigi described to its far side at Pescul there is another bus link to the beautiful Cinque Torri (although this one costs a few Euros), from which you can also take the cable car up Lagazoi for the superb Hidden Valley run Cool
snow report
This place in Alleghe does B&B for €190pp for the week in Jan, shouldn't be a problem getting 4 nights midweek in Jan as long as it's afterNew Year and Epiphany (Jan 6th) week, very close to the lifts and away from the main road too:

http://www.hotelgarniesperia.it/en/index.php

This place is flasher and pricier, right by the lake and offers half-board:

http://www.sporthoteleuropa.com/eng/index.php

If you do end up booking a hotel there, be aware that the main road is fairly busy if traffic noise bothers you.
ski holidays
Alastair Pink wrote:
Chasseur wrote:

Some of us checked out the skiing at Alleghe one day on this year's Snowheads Birthday Bash wink . It's part of the WW1 ski tour (the area saw fierce fighting between the Italians and Austrians). It's only about a 20 minute bus ride (free with the Dolomiti skipass) from the Marmolada cable car base station at Malga Ciapela to Alleghe. Skiing over the Civetta area luigi described to its far side at Pescul there is another bus link to the beautiful Cinque Torri (although this one costs a few Euros), from which you can also take the cable car up Lagazoi for the superb Hidden Valley run Cool

That's how I 'discovered' the place too...on the WWI tour, definitely worth doing it anti-clockwise so you can include the Hidden Valley if you're staying anywhere near the route, which Alleghe is. A trip over to the Marmolada cablecar on a sunny day would be great too, especially the 12km run back down!!

I went back this year and spent a day in Civetta ski area exploring it all and thought it was a great little place for an independent break with a Venice stopover. There are some other nice little resorts around the Civetta, but Alleghe's lakeside setting makes it special.
latest report
Thank you so much guys!!
Your guys are awesome!! I ll check all this places and I ll update you guys when I find a place.
Have a great weekend Everyone!
ski holidays
bfz, Have a look at Pila. We use www.pilaski.co.uk and she can sort out what ever days or length of break you want. She can also arrange transfers from Turin which take about 1:30hrs.

Weekdays are better than weekend as it will be very quiet. Have a great trip where ever you end up.
latest report
The Dolomites is by some margin the most "romantic" of destinations although getting there and back can be a bit Pricey. Transfer times can be tedious too. You asked earlier about Austria and I can highly recommend Rauris http://www.raurisertal.at/en.html . The skiing are is not huge but a 30 min bus ride takes you to the Ski Amade or Kaprun areas. Austrian Apres is on a par with the Dolomites and Rauris is in the middle of a National Park. Salburg Airport has cheap flights from the UK and its less than 100km to Rauris.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy