Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Weekend Trips

Poster: A snowHead
Me and a mate are looking at a possible weekend trip or two around March time. Would most likely be leaving Thursday evening after work, then returning Sunday evening...

Both of us are quite high level skiers and so would be looking for a resort that is relatively easy to get to, has a good amount of challenging terrain and has a good amount of apres for us to most likely over indulge in!

Any recommendations?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi spiky1013,

La Plagne fits all your requirements and we have a special offer on Thur 7th - Sun 10th March reduced down to just £299pp which might suit? Details via my tag line - it is in Chalet Bon Vie.

Happy planning. . .
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Snow and Sunshine, Nice............ is that £299pp, ie £100pppn incl HB, excluding flights and transfers and lift pass?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Have a look at Mountainsun too. although Tignes is quite a long way from the airport, the fact that they do free transfers in the evening, and do short stays, might make them worth looking at.

Don't forget first half of March is French school hols. Saturday skiing should be good, but Friday and Sunday pretty busy.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I've looked at a weekend trip but TBH it doesn't work out much cheaper than a full week.

Sad
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There have been a few threads on this so worth a browse of the forums. You presumably want to ski as much of Sunday as possible, so you want to be close to an airport.

Geneva is generally the best bet in my experience, there are a lot of resorts within an hour to an hour and half (PdS, Grand Massif, La Clusaz, Chamonix and many more). I wouldn't bother with the Tarrentaise area, it's do-able but it's a long drive on a Sunday afternoon which you can avoid if you ski nearer to Geneva. Since you want "challenging" I'd certainly look at Chamonix and the area around there first, there are a lot of accommodation options.

Engelberg and Laax would also work if you got a late flight out of Zurich, and we've done St Anton for a long weekend too, but that's pushing it a bit, we had to leave at lunchtime on the Sunday to get our flight last year, but it's certainly possible. The Skiers Lodge in Engelberg did a long weekend booking for us a couple of years ago, I'd certainly recommend them if you went to Engelberg.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
homers double, I know, the only thing meaning we're having to do a couple of weekends over a week is holiday from work!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
spiky1013, If you are in Sheffield, you'll likely struggle from Leeds/ Bradford (timings normally poor with Jet2) but may be OK from Manchester/ Brum/ Liverpool. Limiting factor is transfer but hiring a car from say GVA gets you into the Alps, but usually pretty late IME.

Alternatively go Lufthansa to MUC from Brum/ MAN and stay at city centre hotel next to station and first train to anywhere you want, say Otz valley?! On slopes for 9am, book b&b off internet. Works for me, but for VFM i've steered away from long weekends now in favour of full weeks in last 2-3 years. As a percentage flight costs for long weekends are very high now (particularly if taking own gear) the flights % as a proportion of overall cost has shot up so maybe consider taking a car and gap it through the night...............on slopes for 9-10am?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I know that too, its just frustrating and tiring to go for a weekend

I still want to do it though Toofy Grin
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Markymark29, Nope wont be in Sheffield for the next year... Will have easy access to Luton/Gatwick/Heathrow etc so should be able to find some flights with reasonable timings I think
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
As mentioned already, unless late transfers are included, I'd be looking at Geneva to PdS, Chamonix or Morillon. Or Innsbruck (but suitable flights can be tricky), for Zillertal, St.Anton, etc.
Certainly wouldn't be looking at 2-3 hour transfers. Last flight flight back for me is now 7pm, which makes the Sunday a very short day on the slopes!
MUC-Otztal will be quite an early rise for 9am on the slopes! MUC to first resort up the valley from Wörgl might make a bit more sense, or Zillertal maybe.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
For me being a northerner I think the realistic place for a weekend is Scotland Shocked
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
spiky1013, Fly into Munich (Lufthansa, BA and Easyjet are the first three airlines that come to mind, there may be others) on Thursday. Hire a car and drive to Zillertal. Stay in Kaltenbach, ski in Hochzillertal, apres ski in the Postalm.
It takes about 1hr 40mins to drive from Munich Airport to Kaltenbach. I used to regularly drive transfers from Zillertal to Munich and never had problems with traffic on Thursday and Sunday evenings, though Saturdays were a different story!
I know that Lufthansa has a flight out of Munich at 9pm, which means that you can ski all day on Sunday. The other airlines may have too, I don't know.
Look for accommodation in Kaltenbach on www.zillertal.at
Have a look at the Postalm http://www.postalm.info/en/home/index.html
Give me a shout if you're looking for more info about Zillertal.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The bonus being that Kaltenbach as mentioned there^^ has a free multistorey car park, so if it's chucking it down with powder you won't need to clear the car before driving back to the airport Smile (not sure if Zell am Ziller has now they've built the 2nd lift?)
snow report
andy, For Otz valley sure it's an early rise but that's what your there for! First train out of MUC, sleep and breakfast on train, stay at NH Kaiser hotel over the road, done it and it's fine......
snow conditions
spiky1013, Have done a few over the past couple of years from Dublin (not easy) St Anton via Zurich + train, Schladming via Salzburg + train were very successful. I've done long hours of research into it, and can,like I'm sure lots on here, rattle off the Dublin - Alps flight schedule of lots of airlines.My tip is look at flight options and base your decision on the arr/dep times + transfer times, if your only going for the weekend then time on snow should be the big thing.
snow report
Markymark29, it's £299pp for the fully catered chalet including complimentary bar, free wifi etc. Reduced because we have a group booked for the early part of the week and we're trying to fill the other dates. Prices normally start at £450pp so whilst I'm sure we aren't the cheapest option around this is a really good deal on what we offer.

Flights, transfers, liftpasses etc aren't included but we can organise them for you. Shared transfers are £80pp return from Geneva.
snow conditions
Snow and Sunshine, Sounds good, I'm sure you'll fill up at that.......have saved your details for future.
snow conditions
spiky1013, My 10 cents worth. La Plagne won't be challenging enough, Verbier, Chamonix and Argentiere would be good options - close enough to Geneva and definitely challenging skiing. I've always found weekend accommodation readily available.
snow report
Quote:

Innsbruck (but suitable flights can be tricky)

That's a good call; a friend of mine has found last minute long-weekend deals there flying with BA from Heathrow. Can't recall the price but it was enough to make me jealous, I remember that much. I think he used LastMinute.com. Flights were very good times, evening out and late afternoon back.
ski holidays
spiky1013 wrote:
Me and a mate are looking at a possible weekend trip or two around March time. Would most likely be leaving Thursday evening after work, then returning Sunday evening...

Both of us are quite high level skiers and so would be looking for a resort that is relatively easy to get to, has a good amount of challenging terrain and has a good amount of apres for us to most likely over indulge in!

Any recommendations?

Scotland ?

If you've got a car, Glencoe and Nevis Range are both within a 4-5 hour drive of Sheffield with hotels nearby selling beer & whisky, no messing around with flights and more, easily accessible, challenging terrain per square inch than most Alpine resorts. Good enough for a long weekend if you're not set on making arrangements in advance. Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy