Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Are avalanche transceivers needed in bounds but off the runs in the USA?

Poster: A snowHead
I will be skiing Park City resorts this winter and I understand that all areas in piste are avalanche patrolled including the expert only areas. Is it still expected that if skiing these areas that avalanche transcievers etc are used or is it assumed there is very low risk if the area is open.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If it's "in bounds" and marked, it'll be avy-controlled. If you're leaving the resort boundries & doing backcountry it won't be. In-bounds slides can occur, but they're very rare. If you have a beacon, bring it, but it really isn't necessary for in-bounds skiing.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Some resorts have in bounds runs that need a transceiver but it's rare. The only officially named example that I can think of that's marked on a trail map is the Big Couloir in Big Sky.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
you never know when an opportunity may present itself. best carry it if you have it.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Some areas (in Canada) are semi controlled, but do require beacons - there's an area at Sunshine but I can't remember the name.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
rogg, Silver City, Wild West & Deliruim Dive
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rogg wrote:
Some areas (in Canada) are semi controlled, but do require beacons - there's an area at Sunshine but I can't remember the name.

Delirium Dive - it has a gate with an automated checking device, and a patroller on duty too - you have to take transceiver, shovel, probe and you can't go alone.

I would advise carrying a transceiver anyway; in-bounds avalanches can and do happen in N America (I saw one on Blackcombe once). However, you are very rarely required to carry one except in very specific areas.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Fattes13, sah, that's the one - Delirium Dive. It looked like a fun area, I just had to make do with the South Chutes area afer a big storm snowHead .
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sah,

Quote:

Delirium Dive - it has a gate with an automated checking device, and a patroller on duty too - you have to take transceiver, shovel, probe and you can't go alone.

When did that come in?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
jakemanc, If you are just skiing around Park City I wouldnt worry too much, if you like skiing trees you will enjoy it. Now if you were heading into the Cottonwoods and planning on ducking some ropes then that would be a different matter, as theres some fun areas out there Madeye-Smiley

As has been mentioned if its within the resort boundary then it will be avi controlled and the chances of a slide will be remote but not impossible. They are pretty hot in Utah about controls from what we have seen before. When are you out there ?

musher, The controls of Delirium Dive at Sunshine have been in a while IIRC, we didnt see a patroller when we were there, but the rest is certainly true.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
musher wrote:
sah,

Quote:

When did that come in?

They were there in 2008 when I skied there; I think it was pretty new then, AFAIK it is still in place.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Bones wrote:

musher, The controls of Delirium Dive at Sunshine have been in a while IIRC, we didnt see a patroller when we were there, but the rest is certainly true.

I think the point of the checking device was so that they didn't need a patroller there all the time; there was one there when I skied it. Having the gate is a bit pointless really, it's pretty easy to get around the transceiver check and even if you have one it's no good without a shovel and someone to dig you out. I guess it forces you to at least read the notices so you can't claim you didn't know about the risks, maybe it's more for the lawyers.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rogg, Skied it waist deep in March this year, lapped it over and over for a day with two friends and had the place to ourselves!!! Not a bad spot Smile
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Park City. There're a couple of areas that are technically outside the boundary but in view of the main resort, which are quite popular with off-piste skiers (e.g. above 9990 lift at Canyons). Technically, it's expected that you carry transceiver when skiing those. So if you have one, bring it along, would be helpful. Reality is many ski it without transceiver when risk level are "low".
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
sah,

I did it about 2003. There was a "gate" (a couple of red & whit sticks and some tape) but I don't remember anybody checking anything back then. I've just watched a 2009 video with a steel gate that looks very agricultural.

Fattes13,

The first time I went it was closed. The second it had just enough snow on it to be open and it wasn't very pleasant, especially at the top.

This is one of my favourite Delirium vids. Perfect conditions and the girl makes it look so easy Embarassed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=DkyjUV4H7Cc
snow conditions
musher, fantastic video! Very Happy
ski holidays
I think it's patrolled but well worth using it if you have it.
latest report
Jonny Jones wrote:
Some resorts have in bounds runs that need a transceiver but it's rare. The only officially named example that I can think of that's marked on a trail map is the Big Couloir in Big Sky.

That is correct.
Another one (quite near here) is Bridger Bowl. (http://bridgerbowl.com/) You need a transceiver to ski terrain off the ridge.
Here's a shot taken in the Big Couloir Smile
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy