Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The longest drag lift - which one?

Poster: A snowHead
Some chat on a different thread got me thinking about long drag lifts. I wondered where the longest actually is? (in Europe) And how long, time wise (excluding delays due to breakdowns and accidents Smile, ) it actually is?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
CaravanSkier, this one should answer your question http://www.snowheads.co.uk/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=35101&start=40
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
CaravanSkier, The Hochfleiss T-bar in Heiligenblut, Carinthia rises 432 metres vertical (1420 feet). It runs along an exposed face and tops out at 2902 metres. I've been on it and am happy to confirm it is very long and tedious and chilly.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Heiligenblut

Never skied there but fantastic place in summer, great setting for the village.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The one up the glacier at Les Deux Alpes is the longed I've been on I think. Nackered by the time I reached the summit!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
La Ros back to La Thuile stands out in my mind. Not only long, but over a windy col in the middle of absolutely nowhere, with long sections along the flat. If you bungle it, not only are you nowhere near a piste, you're not even anywhere near a hill.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Siviez in 4V likes a drag or 10, been on some monsters there............zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ricklovesthepowder, Mr Piehole, Markymark29, you guys need to supply stats. You just can't go around saying I think mine's longer than yours. I managed to find the vertical for my example and I am trying to find the length. Come on!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The La Ros to La Thuile is actually two button lifts. That's 25 minutes of my life I will never get back...
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Valtournanche- Cervinia. Confused
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The Bellecombe I and II combination button lifts in La Rosière are 1.7km and 1.1km respectively.

Mollerski, the one in Cervinia is nowhere near as long but it is baffling why there is a longish button lift on one side and the shortest chairlift ever on the other side.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

La Ros back to La Thuile stands out in my mind. Not only long, but over a windy col in the middle of absolutely nowhere, with long sections along the flat. If you bungle it, not only are you nowhere near a piste, you're not even anywhere near a hill.

THIS!!!

Also some of it goes downhill. A very nerve-wracking experience for a snowboarder with only 2 days on snow.... Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bode Swiller wrote:
Ricklovesthepowder, Mr Piehole, Markymark29, you guys need to supply stats. You just can't go around saying I think mine's longer than yours. I managed to find the vertical for my example and I am trying to find the length. Come on!

There is a 500m rise between Combatseline and Greppon Blanc - and that's a drag tow - although the actual drag maybe shorter.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bode Swiller, I reckon Greppon 1 and 2 which run side by side (does that count as a BOGOF offer?) is a winner here, but can't find any stats. Embarassed Like Fifespud, says its at least 500m vert, and I reckon about 2k long. wink

You got access to any lift-world sites etc?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
there is one, or maybe its two joined, in zermatt that goes from the base of the gondola up to plateaur rosa (I think it is) very long drag
snow report
One in Saas fee is the longest I've been on, its only up the side of a blue on the glacier but its very very long and get pretty tiresome and boring when its freezing cold!
snow conditions
Just another thing we have to thank snowboarders for, the dramatic decline of the drag lift. Toofy Grin
snow report
queen bodecia wrote:
The Bellecombe I and II combination button lifts in La Rosière are 1.7km and 1.1km respectively.

Crikey, hadn't realised they were so long combined Shocked Probably had my nose in War & Peace at the time Laughing
snow report
The Roca Jack in Portillo. Not the longest but one of the most interesting:

http://youtube.com/v/H7kBtJ8q0Xo&feature=related
snow conditions
Thank you Bode Swiller, some interesting information on that thread.

Gosh there are obviously some quite unpleasant drags out there.

Love it Kelski!
snow report
the one in Cervinia is nowhere near as long .[/quote]
Bloody cold when the wind is whipping across there though. Shocked
snow conditions
Mollerski, I wouldn't know about that. It was +18º when I was in Cervinia in February. Shocked
snow report
CaravanSkier wrote:
Thank you Bode Swiller, some interesting information on that thread.

Love it Kelski!

It's hard to get off that thing without falling over!
snow report
CaravanSkier wrote:

Unpleasant ? Sorry to butt in but I'm a weirdo who loves all drag lifts. Laughing
ski holidays
The tottlift in Are Sweden is nearly 1.5km. My boarder boyfriend hates it. Very Happy
ski holidays
There is a very steep draglift in val d'isere (apparently 40 degrees). It accesses Grand Vallon off piste valley. Grand Vallon isn't that gnarly, but I see logic in having such a steep drag to get to it to ensure only reasonable skiiers will get there, as it is off-piste
snow report
There are a few long ones in 4 vallees area. One is actually making a turn too:)
ski holidays
It's not just length, chaps. It's also the angle of the dangle. The Seigneurs drag in Flumet is long (1.5km plus, 550m vertical, some of it where the only escape route, if you fall, is to hike through a forest then descend a quite difficult black run) but at the very end, when you've survived all that, the final slope is 66%. It wouldn't be legally possible to build it today, in the era of namby pamby skiers and boarders. wink

Le Téléski à Perches Découplables des Seigneurs est une remontée mécanique mythique réalisée en 1963 par le constructeur Montaz-Mautino.
Il s'agit du TK le plus difficile de tout l'Espace Diamant et probablement l'un des plus durs de France avec ses 66% de pente maximale, ses 550 mètres de dénivelée et son kilomètre et demi de longueur.
Son tracé étroit en forêt complique fortement la sortie de la piste de montée en cas de chute, qui sont nombreuses durant le parcours, notamment pour ceux n'étant pas trop à l'aise sur un Téléski. A noter que la station a aménagé des petits chemins de retour en bas de chacun des murs du Téléski, ceci afin d'éviter à tout skieur ayant chuté l'impossible redescente par la piste du TK. De plus, il est bien indiqué en haut des pistes arrivant à son aval que l'appareil est difficile, donc si vous ne le sentez pas, continuez sur la piste bleue du Lièvre qui vous amènera au bas des Evettes.
Pour information, nous pouvons souligner que ce tracé très étroit en rapport avec l'inclinaison de la pente ne respecte plus les nouvelles normes imposées par la législation, ce qui pourrait entraîner à plus ou moins long terme une modification de l'appareil.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Didn't hang11 or Sarge McSarge post a photo showing a tow in New Zealand that was about 4kms and just a rope tow? No nimby-pampy buttons or T-bars to rest on either! I believe that was in the last thread that was declared a "pissing" contest about which resort had the longest/hardest ski tow. Laughing

I'm just glad I ski in countries that feel drag lifts are a drag and are replacing them all with chairlifts or gondolas with heated seats! Toofy Grin wink
snow report
Samerberg Sue, yer theres one in NZ that has over 600m vert! Nutcrackers ahoy! Although I'm pretty sure it's much shorter than 4km!
ski holidays
Samerberg Sue wrote:
I'm just glad I ski in countries that feel drag lifts are a drag and are replacing them all with chairlifts or gondolas with heated seats! Toofy Grin wink

Stuff your heated seats and poly-carbonate covered chairs. I'm glad I can ski in Scotland but as Scotland needs drags (not the cast of Priscilla Queen of the Desert) because surface lifts can handle a bit of a breeze, we get to have the most fun with twice as much time on our skis & the joys of skating ice and dodging rocks, mud & heather. Laughing

Also, and I don't know why it is, but sharing a T-Bar is far more sociable than a chairlift. I don't think I've ever shared a T-Bar with a stranger when either one of us hasn't struck up a conversation on the way. Cool
latest report
Personally I really like T Bars, and also Pomas, just nice to go into a sort of trance when it's dead quiet on high terrain and your close to the snow, really relaxing and I don't find them hard work, more a good place to recharge the thighs!

I always watch ski racers slumped over their skis, Herminator style on the lifts and they use them as a break, and try to keep my mind blank and chill out.......
snow report
no sure whether to post this since I don't want it to deter people from going to the ski area, but here we go ... I have climbed quite a bit in the Val D'Herens, and one of my favourite places in the world (and I mean it) is Arolla. The Kurhaus hotel is a truly wonderful place.

http://www.hotel-kurhaus.arolla.com/index-en.php3

In the photo you can see the slopes just beyond the hotel - it's ski in ski out. Now....the lifts. Well, first, the skiing. There's amazing off-piste, some great low down through the trees stuff, and a great beginners' area. The views of Mt Collon and parts of the Haute Route are fantastic. When arriving, you shut off the engine, open the car door and you can hear ..... absolutely nothing. Nothing. It's the end of the world. Italy is just over the mountain.

Now the lifts....I made the mistake of going there with a hard foehn blowing. Warm on the other side of the Valais. Bloody freezing at 2000m at the village in Arolla - maybe 15 deg of windchill. And I forgot to mention to the friends I had dragged there (ooops, pun, sorry) that it was all drag lifts. No chairs. None. Bottom station 2000m. Top station 3000m. 45min to get from bottom to top. And that meant frostnip to cheeks and noses. Some brilliant deep off-piste, and a great day. But it was effing cold, and the spindrift removed the epidermis like sandpaper - could barely see the skier on the button in front.

The lift pass costs b&*&^er all, the people are wonderful, the skiing is fantastic, the food in the only restaurant at 2800m is dirt cheap and very good, and I thoroughly recommend the place. But not when the wind's up.

Didn't half improve the muscle tone of mu quads.....
snow report
The Heritage Express rope tow at Round Hill ski area near Lake Tekapo in NZ has a a vertical rise of just over 600m. It is definitely not anything like 4km long. It opens up some great terrain but it is a bit of a trial for those not used to nutcrackers.
snow report
Mollerski wrote:
the one in Cervinia is nowhere near as long .

Bloody cold when the wind is whipping across there though. Shocked[/quote]

I can agree with this one Smile I was in Cervinia for a season and that lift was the bain of my life...
latest report
patricksh wrote:
There is a very steep draglift in val d'isere (apparently 40 degrees). It accesses Grand Vallon off piste valley. Grand Vallon isn't that gnarly, but I see logic in having such a steep drag to get to it to ensure only reasonable skiiers will get there, as it is off-piste

That is the Signal lift. Quite steep in one place near the top but I've known one or two steeper. I doubt it is as much as 40º (ie 84%) - even if they are only talking about the steepest point. I'd be surprised if the steep part is much more than 30º (58%) which is a steep black run pitch. (There is a piste running down the slope beside it).
ski holidays
The X1 lift in Zermatt is 2990m followed by the X2 which is another 1346m. I fell off the X1 near the top and had to ski back down to the bottom and do it again. It was a 40 minute round trip. The OH was not happy.
snow report
SCollier1, You should carry mobile phones - the OH could have skied down and joined you.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy