Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Goretex Proshell vs Active shell

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Thoughts?

If I understand it right, active shell is more breathable, but without the durability record (as it hasn't been out long enough), which isn't to say it's actually less durable...
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
yep thats my perception also..
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I would not expect it to be as tough; the fabric is lighter and thinner. It isn't going to fall apart when you look at it funny, but Proshell is pretty robust stuff even in its standard form (some folk like Arcteryx fit it with an extra tough face fabric, something I don't think they're at liberty to do with Active Shell) so it sets a high standard for durability.

What were you thinking of doing with it? I have a really lightweight packable hardshell (rab demand pull-on) that spends most of its time in my bag in case of bad weather, and a noticably bulkier and heavier jacket (berghaus pro-trek) that either gets worn when the weather is being actively unpleasant, or left in the house/car. Activeshell is intended to fill the former role... it isn't replacing pro shell in Gore's roster of fabrics after all. If you need a jacket to wear rather than have handy for possible bad weather, and you wanted it to be substantially weatherproof and tough I'd go for the pro shell and save yourself a few bucks.

Incidentally, I wear neither for skiing or winter mountaineering Smile
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
from goretex.com (3 layer - more durable IMHO) so Active is thinner

GORE-TEX® Active fabrics combine a lighter, thinner GORE-TEX® membrane with fine denier performance textiles to deliver the ultimate 3-layer solution for the Active consumer. On the liner side, a proprietary lamination technology integrates the backer textile directly into the GORE-TEX® membrane allowing for extreme breathability and excellent next to skin comfort.

GORE-TEX® Pro products are the optimum solution for outdoor professionals and serious enthusiasts, who need to face extreme weather and tough conditions. Made with the most rugged, most breathable, durably waterproof and windproof fabrics
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cheers, sounds like I should be sticking with proshell.

Contemplating a new ski jacket. I've been using a TNF Pro-shell that I got super cheap for the last two seasons, it doesn't need replacing exactly, but I want pit zips (at the time I bought it I just needed a good jacket at the best price, if I get the job I've applied for I'll have a little bit of cash to drop on something to last the next 5-10 seasons) as I plan to be touring at least a couple of times a week this season. The Norrona Active-shell Lofoten is quite a lot cheaper than the Pro-shell (not that I'd be buying the new seasons stock anyway), so was wondering about it, though now I see it doesn't have pit zips anyway. Maybe a softshell to compliment my current jacket rather than replace it would make more sense... Hmm.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy