Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

300,000 Brits drive to the Alps?

Poster: A snowHead
Just seen this in http://paper.li/skipad/1307353516

They reckon that 300,000 Brits will drive to the Alps this season, looks a little high to me!

I suppose that's a big market for the winter tyre people to have a go at Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
livetoski, Eurotunnel reckon they carry 7.5 million people (on the car shuttle) per year. Ferries must equal that I reckon. So a mere 300k is possible but, I agree, does seem a tad high.

So, that is say 75,000 cars. You'd think a huge market for winter tyres but only 12 people in the whole UK know what they are and they all post on here. Anyway, you've found a neat way of starting a winter tyre thread without it being a winter tyre thread.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bode Swiller, How many of the 12 wear helmets?! Laughing
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bode Swiller, Can we get Mr Cross' posting person to add that into the Crystal report wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Boredsurfing, jeez I thought that was top secret.

Markymark29, must be all of 'em because I seem to be the only person left in beanie land.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Boredsurfing,
Quote:

to add that into the Crystal report

If I am getting my figures correct then using the Crystal Report some 30% of the British ski market, drive to the Alps?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bode-Swiller: No, another beanied skier who has driven to the Alps here. But don't tell anyone.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bode Swiller wrote:
Boredsurfing, jeez I thought that was top secret.

nah, he or she has been outed on here before Cool
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Some double counting there, as many people make multiple trips to the Alps each year.

Given the number of UK cars I see each time we drive, doesn't surprise me at all.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
12 of us may know what winter tyres are, but how many actually own them?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
musher, I do Cool

Local 4*4 owners on summer tyres can never work out how I get up hill on the edge of town and they end up in the ditch
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I had never read Skipad until this was posted.. now I probably never will if that's the sort of thinly-veiled advertising they post as content Smile
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Not surprising given the way skiers are mistreated by the so called "low cost"airlines with the ski carriage charges being so extortionate. Switching back to driving this winter. (and I have bought the winter tyres as well which should be useful at home and last me a few seasons in Europe as well and save wear on summer tyres)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
countryman,

You don't have to use "low cost" airlines. You can use full price ones that offer free ski carriage, serve food and booze at no extra cost, fly at reasonable times, cost no more that the budget alternative ... but usually only if you live near London.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
countryman wrote:
Not surprising given the way skiers are mistreated by the so called "low cost"airlines with the ski carriage charges being so extortionate. Switching back to driving this winter. (and I have bought the winter tyres as well which should be useful at home and last me a few seasons in Europe as well and save wear on summer tyres)

I'm flying BA this year and don't have to worry about luggage costs. I would happily drive, but it's not really cost effective for a group of one.
snow conditions
feef, You are probably correct - by myself I'd probably find an alternative, but for a family with kids there are lots of advantages.
ski holidays
Megamum wrote:
feef, You are probably correct - by myself I'd probably find an alternative, but for a family with kids there are lots of advantages.

Oh I'm sure of it. I've got a friend who drives himself, two boys and wife to the 3V every year. When I was younger, we drove ourselves as a family holiday and that was from Scotland : a hell of a drive Smile

I'd be tempted to ship my luggage there by UPS or something and ride the motorcycle there instead Very Happy
I'm not sure how it works with the legality of snow tyres and whatnot. It is an offroad motorcycle.. Hmm thread drift.. sorry :

As you were..
ski holidays
feef,

Do you get everything (skis, boots etc.) in one 23kg bag?
ski holidays
feef, the Alps in summer is full of motorbikes. In winter they are rare as hens' teeth. Tells you something. wink

The BA baggage regulations aren't very easy to understand. They will take skis, but they have to be packed in a ski bag, and boots have to be packed separately, or with other checked baggage. Extra bags cost extra. Over 23kg cost extra.

Does that mean you can carry skis PLUS one bag of up to 23kg, or that both need together to add up to no more than 23kg? I'd be able to pack within 23 kg for a week's trip, I think, even with skis, though that would mean wearing jacket and thinking quite hard (I've done a week with just a ski bag and a boot bag, both with other things packed with them). Easier if the skis are in addition to the 23 kg, obviously.
snow report
You'd think that at least one of them would be able to give me a lift Toofy Grin
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
feef, the Alps in summer is full of motorbikes. In winter they are rare as hens' teeth. Tells you something. wink

The BA baggage regulations aren't very easy to understand. They will take skis, but they have to be packed in a ski bag, and boots have to be packed separately, or with other checked baggage. Extra bags cost extra. Over 23kg cost extra.

Does that mean you can carry skis PLUS one bag of up to 23kg, or that both need together to add up to no more than 23kg? I'd be able to pack within 23 kg for a week's trip, I think, even with skis, though that would mean wearing jacket and thinking quite hard (I've done a week with just a ski bag and a boot bag, both with other things packed with them). Easier if the skis are in addition to the 23 kg, obviously.

musher wrote:
feef,

Do you get everything (skis, boots etc.) in one 23kg bag?

it's skis PLUS a bag of 23Kg. I'm going business class, using Avios points, where it's 32Kg per bag, and skis in their own bag.

the motorcycle I'm considering using is an off-road rally bike. Just the thing for slippery conditions with it's knobbly tyres Smile
latest report
Well I've done it three times this summer, along with atleast 4 other people each time, so yeah I'd imagine that it possible.

As I driver in the season I can also verify that there are loads of UK reg cars in the tarantaise during the season, more than any other nationality than the natives.
snow report
Quote:

the motorcycle I'm considering using is an off-road rally bike. Just the thing for slippery conditions with it's knobbly tyres

You see a couple around Les Arcs during the winter, but they tend to be the lighter versions ie those you can pick up if you drop. Later in the season you are likely to see a competition trials bike parked in the village. I imagine that even with modern shorter skis it is very hard carrying them with you on a motorcycle.
Quote:

As I driver in the season I can also verify that there are loads of UK reg cars in the tarantaise during the season, more than any other nationality than the natives.

Depends to some extend on when or where you are. You get a lot of Belgians at Easter (I suspect Belgium is empty over the Easter period) and of course a lot of Swiss. In Flaine (not Tarentaise) and Val Thorens there appear to be a lot of Dutch cars.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy