Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Portes du Soleil

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Back yesterday from 2 days skiing in this area. Never been before. Stayed in Montriond and used the Ardent bubble up into the Avoriaz area for skiing.

Following a week of high temperatures meant Saturday was a bit of a nightmare (ever had those days when you've forgotten how to ski? Sad ). Slushy snow and at one point visibility down to zero on an eerily empty piste. Upside was no queues anywhere and the slopes to yourself.

Sunday was a different planet! Up high above Avoriaz, beautiful snow, sun, blue skies, semi empty pistes, gorgeous! Unfortunately, I spent far too long in a lovely restaurant on the Swiss side chatting to an old couple (who had climbed the Matterhorn 20 yars ago!) only to come out and find the weather had changed to gale force winds and hail blizzard, zero visibility. Got lost. Panicked. Nice man put me back on track. Finally skied my way back down to Ardent car park in heavy rain (urgh) with minutes to spare for my taxi back to Geneva at 5.00pm

I loved the whole area and would most definitely go again, but a bit earlier in the season for more reliable snow. A massive ski area and some lovely long runs. I hope not to offend anyone, but Avoriaz looks a bit of a dump, even if it is straight onto the slopes. Montriond is about 10 minute drive from Morzine, which is a lovely town.

For the first time ever, this is also somewhere I would go in the summer, mountain biking/walking.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Great to hear - friends have just bought an apartment in Morzine - hoping to see it next season when they've sorted it all out...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've seen Avoriaz in the Summer, without it's attractive covering of snow...uurrghh!! But the mountains are beautiful and it's a great area to explore any time of year. It's amazing how scary the red runs look without any snow - they're so steep!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Berverley, how come you chose Montriond? Just curious as we went there in Jan for a week, booked privately with a chalet company and got a really good deal. I'd definitely recommend it, the travel to Ardent is easy and you're then only a lift or two away from the whole Porte du Soleil area.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Well what a difference a day made. I got back last night, having arrived on Sunday night in Morzine, and it has hardly stopped snowing, so much so that we didnt use Avoriaz due to the excellent conditions at Morzine and Les gets. Yesterday was powder day, everywhere you went there tons of the stuff, hardly anyone about.

Only saw glimpses of the current bun on Monday morning. Whoever is there for a couple of days after this snow has stopped has got a result, sublime March skiing in store for them.

I love Morzine its a lovely friendly place and the Stella in the Dixie Bar is perfect.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
You get all the luck Ian! Oh yes, the Dixie bar is great. Watched the England v Wales game there (me and 1m others!) on the Saturday. Very Happy

Masmith, we stayed in Montriond in a chalet (converted nunnery) through SkiMorzine, which was excellent. They provided all the transport to the Ardent bubble (and also a ski guide if you wanted. But there is masses of free parking there, so I would quite happily hire a car next time I think.

The Portes du Soleil is definitely on the agenda for a return trip next season. snowHead
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have always had a great time in the Portes Du Soleil. Some friends of mine have an apartment in Chatel and i have spent a few New Years out there with them. We've always had powder, even if there were also a few less than ideal days as well.

The mountain biking in summer is supposed to be excellent. As well as the World Cup downhill courses at Les Gets, you can do the Portes du Soleil circuit on bikes: up a lift, down a track; up a lift, down a track, etc - hardly have to peddle so i understand (but you will get through a few pairs of brake blocks)
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The Portes du Soleil is one of my favourite places. I've stayed at Montriond, Morzine and Les Gets lots of times and keep going back to ski.

Last summer we (husband and two sons) spent a week in August at the Boomerang in Les Gets and mountain biked every day. It's fabulous, but quite hard, especially when you go down a black from Avoriaz by mistake!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just got back from my third week there (over the last 4 yrs).

Snowed all week, so crap visibility and plenty of fog. This week 27th onwards is obviously the week the sun comes out and lucky blighters get to see where all the bumps are and can turn up the speed.

But, anyway, I prefer loose snow on the piste and flat light, to glassy pistes in the sunshine. So I'm still happy. But, could have done with just one tiny little day of sun....

Avoriaz is great. Snow everywhere. Instead of spending 3 hours walking to bus, getting three cable cars before you get on the snow (like Zermatt) you just pop on your skis and voom!
I do not go to Avoriaz to enjoy olde-woldy log cabins with resident goat and shepherd for company, I go there for the full day's skiing. As purpose built resorts go, it's architecture is miles better than Val Claret or Val Thorens say.

And anyway for 129 quid each (for flight+ 5 bed apartment) courtesy of IGLU, me an my missus could not complain.
snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy