Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Taking 1st time skier

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi , this year we are taking a 1st time skier with us on a group holiday. We are off to samoens. They have had 1 lesson so far on a dry slope but it is difficult for us to get to any of the artificial or snow.
So what have you done in this situation? I don't really want to put them in ski school for the week , as I want them to ski with us and to enjoy the fun. What do you all think.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ski school in the morning, and ski with them in the afternoons. You get to blast around when they are in lessons, then take it easy with them in the afternoons by returning to the same slopes or other pistes of a similar grade in the afternoons to have fun together.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You have to put them in ski school, at least for the mornings. Meet them for lunch and share the afternoon with them. If you make them ski with you without instruction you run the very high risk of detroying their confidence/your friendship/their holiday. It will not be fun for them if they have no clue what they're doing and can't keep up.

Is your location correct? You talk like you're in the UK, not Canada? If so, make the effort to go to a snowdome and do a 'learn to ski in a day course'. It will be worth it. I reckon one of these courses is worth at least 3 days ski school in a resort to a beginner. It will mean they are not in the bottom group of ski school lessons so they will get out on the mountain more and progress quicker. It will also mean they can practice on their own at a nearby dry slope if they want, or get some slightly more advanced lessons.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Why do you not want them in ski school? Are you afraid they will make other friends and desert you? I really enjoyed being in ski school when I first went skiing and would ski around with them during lunch time and after classes in the afternoon. Great fun. IMHO ski school is esential for at least the first half dozen ski trips.

But as rob@rar, says if you are really kean to keep them close then ski with them in the afternoon.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There is no way around ski school in your case. Most group lessons run in the morning anyway. so your first-timer will get a chance to ski with you anyway. Skiing is more fun when you know how to ski, so why would the person pass up the chance to learn and basically waste their holiday?

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sat 8-09-12 12:43; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the replies. I will look at getting them ski lessons in the mornings. I know when I started years ago we all went to ski lessons and it was fun. I just don't want them to think we are dumping them in ski school and that's it. Also I have found that when skiing with people after there lessons you can push them and there skiing comes along a lot quicker.
I have found a company zigzagski I have sent them an email.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
johnE, Totally agree. a newbie after 6 weeks of lessons generally get to advanced intermediate level and can ski most terrain with confidence and progress further. Going just for mileage after learning how to turn the skis is the main cause of intermediate plateau that may last forever along with questions "how steep/bumpy/icy/busy particular run or resort is".
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Gjspain wrote:
Also I have found that when skiing with people after there lessons you can push them and there skiing comes along a lot quicker.
For some people that will work, for others it will destroy their self-confidence and encourage them in to bad habits not good habits. Be careful how far you push them.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Gjspain, I don't think you need to worry too much about it. Real slopes look very much different from dry slopes. A friend came to visit once, she had a week of dry slope lessons and wanted to ski with us. When it took me almost 2 hours to get her down the red slope until the point from where she could download to the village, she was the first one to go and book lessons for her remaining time in the resort:))
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Gjspain, there's no way that they will be able to ski with you and "enjoy the fun", when they won't know what they're doing. Best option will be morning lessons and the afternoon with the rest of you, practising what they've learnt, but even then, don't over-estimate their abilities and ruin their confidence. I speak from experience having done exactly that many years ago, with my then-boyfriend. He wouldn't speak to me for the rest of the day as I had "almost killed" him, but must have forgiven me as we've been married 20 years now! FWIW, I had two friends on our regular group ski holiday, take lessons in Morillon (just down the road from Samoens) with ZigZag - highly recommended.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
There is a lovely loooooooooong green piste in Morillon through the trees, its a joy......they will get hooked there and then.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

I don't really want to put them in ski school for the week , as I want them to ski with us and to enjoy the fun.

With all but the most athletic and determined beginners, that's not going to happen. I'd agree with all the others who've said, do ski school in the morning. We had one family member join us on a trip to the 3 Valleys. He had a two hour private lesson on the Southampton dry ski slope, as a Christmas present. Got on very well. Fell a lot, but wasn't fazed. He was a top polo player, short, very strong legs, courageous. He had fun for the week. Fell so much on one side that he wore a hole right through his salopettes, but was fine - and none of us was that good. However, he'd have ended up skiing a lot better if he'd gone to lessons in the morning and skied with us in the afternoon.

Yes, "Learn to Ski in a Day" is fantastic - hard work, but if they can't hack that, they definitely won't be able to ski around with you. They'd still be better in lessons but could probably then skip the complete beginners class.

I've also known people whose confidence and enjoyment have been completely shot by well-meaning but misguided people (often not very good themselves) pushing them too hard when they are already tired, after a morning lesson.

Why don't you all do ski school, at the appropriate level, in the morning? then there'll be no question of "being dumped" in ski school.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
"Being dumped in ski school" seems a bot harsh.

I don't know about you guys but i loved that first week in ski school, it was fantastic. We made some good friends that were all in the same boat, we fell, we fell, well fell and we laughed. I am sure they will love it.
Perhaps they may even dump you in favour of their new ski class mates!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
i ski with a group of experts when i go away and being Advanced Intermediate level now i still go in lessons, have done for the 5 years I have skied. Great way to meet new people and you join up with your buddies for Apres Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy