Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

So, this was last season!

Poster: A snowHead
Finally got round to editing together the motley collection of footage I got from last season into this awesome/terrible* video:

* - delete as appropriate.

Ski-Touring in Iceland 2011-2012 from Charles Palmer
http://vimeo.com/49006395

It's actually only stuff really from the second half of the season when I got the GoPro and I learnt some stuff filming and sticking this together:
  • Always take the camera with you, if you take the camera remember to take something to mount it on! The lack of skiing of Hekla is a result of the latter problem but I probably missed more good footage from forgetting the camera or forgetting to put it on than managing to capture it.
  • No one really cares that you look like a teletubby so you shouldn't either. Particularly in the middle of nowhere.
  • I need better B-roll, I actually shot quite a lot but it was pretty useless. Need to get better at that so there is more scenery.
  • Needs less POV. It's fine but doesn't really show off the situation very well or aesthetically.
  • It's hard to point the GoPro in the right direction and easy to wack it with skis, poles and backpack straps so it captures the sky or ground. The Coe Cup footage in particular is a lovely view of my skis. Am getting better at this though so it's mostly trial and error.
  • I need to find better people to ski with, harsh but for the most part I was the only skier with a bunch of people on foot. It also limited what I felt able to tackle so mostly skied well within my comfort zone.
Random facts:
  • I skied about 40odd days last year and apparently a lot of that was in a white out. Smile
  • The longest walk in was four hours to the knife edge ridge on Kerling with about 1000m vertical of steep boulder hopping whilst carrying skis in ski boots followed by the steep climb up the slope. Being knackered, alone and a bit gripped with the exposure I ended up skiing that 45 degree slope with my boots still in walk mode which was very odd. Hence all the skipping in the video as I spent ages trying to figure out WTF was going on. Sad
  • I didn't come last in the Coe Cup, much to my surprise. It was also 20C at the bottom of the hill!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Awesome for me. Great editting.

You there this coming winter too?

Would really like to get over late April / early May.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
meh, some nice looking slopes in Iceland, but think I would need a helicopter to just drop me off at the top Toofy Grin
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yup I'll be here in Iceland for all of next season as well, hopefully with a couple of weeks out over to Austria and perhaps North America. Will be doing the same thread in Snow Reports as well.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
livetoski, http://www.arcticheliskiing.com/ Wink

We got snaked by heli drops a couple of times on nice sunny days up north. Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
meh, thanks for the link, bu**ger another thing to put on my list of things to do Twisted Evil
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Helicopters? Pah. You're never going to have to do more than 2100m vertical; that's practically an afternoon's walk Razz

Nice little edit, even if there was a lot of toe-gazing Smile I'd really like to go skiing in iceland some time... bit of a tough sell for my usual partners though; they're generally unkeen for anything that doesn't involve mechanical uplift.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Nice!
That's Iceland on the list (unfortunately, a divergent list).
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I liked it a lot. Cool I'd always thought that the mountains in Iceland would be super-windy like they are up here so I was surprised to see no footage of you trying to fit violently flapping skins, the sounds of roaring storms and no shots of vast vistas of sastrugied snow. Coe Cup shots were nice to see in there too.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Awesome for me as well. Agree about more B roll - stunning scenery in Iceland, so it would be good to see more of it as well as providing a better context for the POV skiing shots.

Good work!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quite enjoyed the vid.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
moffatross, heh, they are super windy, even more so than Scotland so I'll make sure to include some of that for you in any future videos. wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'd guessed that a lonely exposed island straddling the Arctic sea and the Atlantic ocean would be fairly 'breezy'. Please do add in some variable conditions meh, warts and all ski vids are not as pretty as blue sky edits and often you can't see much either but are just as compelling to watch.

Looks like fresh snow is on its way for you soon anyway ... http://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/gens_display.php?ext=1&lat=64.5&lon=-18.5 Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yup, my first ski day last year was in September. I could have been skiing all summer as well but I buggered my ankle falling off a bouldering problem. Sad

I hoped there was plenty of warts in that video but obviously not enough! Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
meh, Thanks I enjoyed that. I thought it was dark all the time in the winter wink
ski holidays
jbob, all of this was filmed from mid-February, when I actually ponied up for the GoPro through to mid-May. Daylight in December is the worst with about 4ish hours of pretty much twilight, some of the towns in the fjords lose the sun completely for a couple of months. All the ski areas have flood lit bits though so I was night skiing at least twice a week after work. Mind you not really being able to see the terrain properly off-piste is good practice for skiing in a whiteout. Very Happy
ski holidays
Touch long for me if I'm being honesty.,..2 mins Max in my view for a taster....
ski holidays
kitenski, yer I tend to agree, I tried but failed to keep it to one songs worth which seems about right if its a montage to music. That's also why I mentioned needing more B-roll because it lets you keep the pacing up by adding more cuts and more interest. Long blocks of skiing is pretty dull, which seems to be 90% of the problem with most POV edits. I'm planning to do most of next season with more documentary style shorts about the individual trips, a bit like a video guidebook as there isn't very much written in any language about the skiing available over here. Should be more interesting viewing than the 1000 video montages set to music.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy