Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Reasonable priced Accomadition 3 valleys

Poster: A snowHead
We've been to Pas de la casa for the past 3 years as we thought it was cheaper but the lift pass prices are in the top ten highest,so we thought we would try some where new.

We fancied Courchevel and be going for 5 nights but we are struggling to find reasonable priced accommodation that isnt tied for a week/7days

We just fancy a change that wont break the bank

thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
wasley, you need to give more info.

Which part of Courchevel (or doesn't matter?). What's reasonably priced? Give a budget. 5 nights midweek or over a weekend or what? Which month or flexible? With flights/transfers or independent travel? Hotel/apartment/chalet or doesn't matter? Half board or DIY?

In general, January is cheapest, La Tania and Courchevel LePraz/1550/1650 are cheaper than 1850. It may be cheaper to book a 1 week chalet deal and arrive/leave early/late than stay in a hotel.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

We just fancy a change that wont break the bank

well Courchevel is more likely to break the bank than most... it's one of the most expensive resorts anywhere! Though 1650 is excellent, and has some reasonably priced apartments. But 5 nights? Very difficult, especially at peak times.

You could pay for 7 days, sat/sat (or sometimes sun/sun) self catering, then just use 5 of the nights?

But every cup of coffee or beer, or sandwich, out on the mountain will contribute to the bank-breaking! It's probably one of the most.

If you give the details raceplate asks, we can probably come up with more economical suggestions.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
wasley, pending a bit more info on what you are looking for and what you consider reasonable, we may be able to offer a fully catered stay in La Tania from where you can ski the Courchevel Valley (or the entire 3 Valleys with a full area lift pass) for less than many places cost in other parts of the 3V. We can do flexible stays in that property dependent on your dates/numbers/existing bookings, so 5 nights would be possible. PM if of interest
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Can I just add... La tania is an awesome little place to stay... Fab access straight up to the 3 valleys, and lovely tree lined runs back home at the end of the day... To top it off a couple of decent lively bars... What more can you ask for...

Gets my vote, however, the 3 valleys lift pass is a bank buster on its own... Confused
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
AlpineAddict, thanks for the endorsement Laughing Whilst skiing in the 3V is never going to be cheap, there are a choice of lift passes (the local one has plenty of skiing for a week, IMO, unless you never want to ski the same piste more than once wink ) and this year a group of at least 3 people can get a discount of 6 - 7% on a group booking
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We stayed in Val Thorens for £279 lift pass and accom for 7 nights last year with off the piste, so as pam w mentioned you could just do 5 of the nights and it still wouldn't be expensive.

You don't say how many of you or how old you are though, you need a full room (8 people) for it to be that cheap, plus it's not exactly luxury...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sorry for the lack on info before

Group of 8 (all males (possibly 1 couple) so need single beds) All 40+(bed by 11pm)
looking at feb / march ie 27th feb - 4 march
Book are own flight and transfers or hire own minibus
Would like Halfboard but B&B ok (hotel/chalet or apartment)

Lift pass price looks the same as Pas

thanks
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

feb / march ie 27th feb - 4 march

That's French school hols - peak time - I'd say you have little or no chance of booking now for halfboard or B & B accommodation for just that time, which spans 2 big weeks for those letting accommodation. And even in self catering (not easy to find 8 single beds) you'd need to pay for 2 whole weeks.

Much nearer the time you might pick up something - but in my experience every apartment worth letting, in a French resort, will be booked some time beforehand.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
wasley wrote:

So you're looking for a cheap extra long weekend in France's biggest and arguably most expensive ski resort during French half term (the busiest and most expensive time of the year)?!!!

Forget it. Go back to Andorra.

Sorry if that sounds harsh.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
AlpineAddict,

Quote:

What more can you ask for

Austrian prices in those bars Toofy Grin

That said I do like La Tania as a 3V option.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

So you're looking for a cheap extra long weekend in France's biggest and arguably most expensive ski resort during French half term (the busiest and most expensive time of the year)?!!!

Forget it. Go back to Andorra.

Sorry if that sounds harsh.

Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
wasley, as said above, high peak dates I'm afraid - we are booked in all 4 properties and have been for a while. I'd expect much the same elsewhere. You may touch lucky if you hang on until the very last minute just in case something becomes available across those two weeks, but then you'd have the problem of finding flights.

If you can move ahead into mid-March or back into January, you'll have a much better chance of finding something - we have availablility w/c 26/1 and 2/2 for example. Whilst the 8 single beds should be OK in a catered chalet or hotel, it WILL be difficult to find in s/c accommodation as pam w, says - in a previous job, I did once manage to find a chalet for a group of 11 men who HAD to have single beds but it meant some had a double bed for single use, some were in bunks in a corridor, and others were on sofabeds in the lounge.....
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wot everyone said regarding CVL and February.

Try Austria, Italy, small French resorts, possibly Cairngorm. Laughing
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Lizzard wrote:
Wot everyone said regarding CVL and February.

Try Austria, Italy, small French resorts, possibly Cairngorm. Laughing

Suggestions please Italy/Austria .... Ihave been looking at Sestriere

Re: french half term ..are the lifts ram packed or is it just lack of accommodation

thanks
snow conditions
Quote:

are the lifts ram packed or is it just lack of accommodation

both, but they key problem is your dates. If you were travelling Sat/Sat or even Sun/Sun you would probably be able to book something (very expensively) though the best places are already likely to be full for that whole 4 weeks.

I think you might have similar problems trying to book now for Austria or Italy - it's a busy time there, too, and it might be hard to persuade hotels or B & Bs to let you have those dates, which cuts across two weeks for them. Nearer the time, if they have a lot of vacancies, they might be more flexible - and I don't think they are as rigid as French owners, generally.

If you have not already booked your flights, I'd suggest you think again about your dates. If you have booked, I suggest you start another thread asking for accommodation suggestions for those specific dates. Someone with a place in Austria probably wouldn't be looking at a thread about the 3 Valleys.

If your dates are fixed and you are really keen to go to France, you might well find rooms in a hotel in a valley town (e.g. Sallanches, which gives you lots of options for day trips to the slopes, provided you have cars).
snow report
Why are you wanting to be really difficult and span two weeks? Unless there is a special reason like your only daughter's wedding or something, just suck it up and book for one full week! Barely any additional annual leave allowance and you will have a much better chance of finding accommodation. The European (especially in France) ski market is geared to Saturday>Saturday holidays.
latest report
In Tignes Chalet Hotel Les Melezes offers short breaks (4/5 nights), which include free airport transfers. We are considering them for december, since we stayed in the hotel this summer with the kids and it looked good.

Here's a link http://www.mountainsunltd.com/short_breaks/view/tignes-chalet-hotel-les-melezes but better ask at the hotel.

We've been to Courchevel 1650 and for me it's not exactly worth the money. The resort is too expensive for evening go out. From the 3 valleys I slightly prefer more Val Thorens, but stayed there in apartments not chalets.
snow conditions
wasley wrote:
Sorry for the lack on info before

Group of 8 (all males (possibly 1 couple) so need single beds) All 40+(bed by 11pm)
Book are own flight and transfers or hire own minibus
Would like Halfboard but B&B ok (hotel/chalet or apartment)

Lift pass price looks the same as Pas

thanks

SKi Hame are running Chalet La Tania in the 3V on a 'night to night basis' for 2012/13 season - they look to still have availability for that number for those dates - http://www.skihame.co.uk/ski_chalets/availability.htm (scroll down for chalet tania)

They are great friendly scottish run small chalet company with great food, great portions and nice chalets - I'm going back for my second stay with them this winter...
snow conditions
bertie bassett wrote:

SKi Hame are running Chalet La Tania in the 3V on a 'night to night basis' for 2012/13 season - they look to still have availability for that number for those dates - http://www.skihame.co.uk/ski_chalets/availability.htm (scroll down for chalet tania)

They are great friendly scottish run small chalet company with great food, great portions and nice chalets - I'm going back for my second stay with them this winter...

Thanks for the link ,,they didnt have the dates we wanted but i've saved the details for next year. and your right very helpful.

Well we've decided to try the Milky Way ,i fancy Sauze D'olux but a few of the other fancy Sestriere due the the higher altitude ..Still the french half term 28thfeb-5th March

Any positive views/tips welcome

thanks n
ski holidays
Probably a bit late with this but I thought Hotel Le Montana in La Tania could be booked by the night.
snow report
How sensible - the extortionate food and drink prices in the 3V have put me off ever going back again - accommodation rpices usually seem very reasonable though.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy