Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

RS1ski

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
soulskier, are you singlehandedly trying to destroy any goodwill and genuine interest towards this product? If you like the design and think its a good idea then i suggest that you suck in your pathetic little ego driven rants about people on this forum about whom you know nothing at all.RS1SKI, has a very genuine offer from Rob and the othetr SH's to go and show his product and get feedback but as Sack the Juggler, has said you are likely to be undermining any goodwill by simply being a lady's front bottom
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
gatecrasher wrote:

soulskier, hoping that's a bit more constructive than my earlier post!

Seems I did go in a bit hot headed but it seems my posts have made some people re evaluate what they have said and have some constructive criticism rather than just slagging it off.

Juggler, I did not slag off everyone, just a few.

Rob@rar. You got fired up as did I. Lets not have that happen again shall we Smile

I am sorry for my rants and will keep watching from afar. As I have been a lurker for sometime, I may just go back to being that.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
soulskier, As others have said there's a big difference between light hearted banter and slagging off!

Ps, Don't be a lurker, it's not half as much fun!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
soulskier, You now got 10 posts and have wonderfully turned this topic into the "Soulskier" thread. Good stuff! Embarassed
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
soulskier wrote:
Rob@rar. You got fired up as did I.
Not before you came blunderbussing in I didn't. I simply explained that I didn't understand the skis, and confirmed the date of an event I was organising at which RS1Ski could come along and showcase his skis. For that I got insulted, generally and personally. Now you make a half hearted apology, and a suggestion that my contribution was just as bad as yours because I also got fired up. I fail to see why I should give these skis a fair crack of the whip after your nasty little jibes.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
skimastaaah wrote:
soulskier, You now got 10 posts and have wonderfully turned this topic into the "Soulskier" thread. Good stuff! Embarassed

OK. I am sorry. I am. Get this thread back to what it is about. A constructive discussion about the RS1.

Bye!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
gatecrasher wrote:
Phew! Just popped out for a bit hope I haven't missed anything wink

feef, I agree about the tails RS1SKI, you say the tails articulate inwards into the turn then bend to allow for the whole ski to stay in contact with the slope which indeed it does appear to do very well on the indoor video but- on the outdoor video the tails definitely "kick outwards" from the control phase to completion- then at initiation of the new turn they are already "inside" the turn but soon start to shift towards centre during transition then kick out again soon after, on some occasions to the extent that they are "off the snow" this would have a shortening effect!

So one video shows them doing one thing and the other video shows something quite different.

RS1SKI, can you help explain in more detail the intended action through the turn, thanks.

soulskier, hoping that's a bit more constructive than my earlier post!

Gatecrasher, I'm going to try and deal with your question before anything else!

The tail is designed to articulate 'into' the turn, not away from it, but it does not actively do this. What happened on some earlier prototype models is that the downward pressure on the tail was not strong enough and therefore, as you quite rightly point out, contact with the snow is lost. This did sometimes result in the tail not responding as it does when the tail is at its optimum. Newer prototypes have been adapted accordingly and tested on the snow. These more recent models have a more active downward pressure on the tail that ensures snow contact, as again like you and other have pointed out, simply creating a shorter ski is not necessarily going to be an aid to anyone.

I realise that all the information currently available is not perfect. The website shows a story line from some early development to where we are now. It's still not the end of the line and improvements and modifications are still being made....in fact, that is why all feedback positive or negative is something we want to hear.

Hope this helps
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
RS1SKI, thanks for the explanation, would be good to see how the latest prototypes are working out.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
How do the two pieces articulate? Is the end of the main section curved with a matching curve on the swinging section? How is a constant edge maintained at the point of articulation?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Megamum, there is a cut in the ski and like you state, it is curved, this is behind the binding but before the tail lift section. The last post on the RS1 website shows an image that I think might help answer your question as well. Regarding the constant edge, because the tail lifts then the whole ski maintains contact with the snow. Without the tail lift, the area around the point of articulation could lose snow contact. Also, the natural flex of the ski still applies and therefore you do not get a 'gap' opening up at the point of articulation.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
So it behaves like a ski with a soft flex and a wide tail?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
RS1SKI, I've looked at the picture, the bend in the ski seems acute/sharp rather than smooth and I am surprised that this is not more noticeable to the person using it, but maybe it isn't.

Several times you've stated that it should be more beneficial to emerging skiers, what differences/difficulties would you perceive for a skier who reaches the limit of the RS1 and moves to a solid ski?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Altis, perhaps this is true, the ski itself is governed by its natural flex, although if the ski had a wide tail then it would perform as such. The RS1 could be produced theoretically on any ski shape. But what I would say is that the ski behaves like the RS1.

Megamum, right...but there is a spring in the unit. This spring can be adjusted in strength and therefore when you are skiing the tail does not 'swing' widely across like it does in the picture where the tail has been moved to its maximum angle for display purposes.

Regarding your question about skiers reaching the limit of the RS1, good question, primarily the RS1 (in its current form - and I mean it can evolve from here) is an on-piste ski. So providing the skier is using groomed slopes there is no reason why they would reach the limit of the RS1. But you deserve a better answer than that! So, although the RS1 makes turning easier, the technique required to learn is exactly the same as any 'normal' ski. Once a skier can perform linked turns on a slope and is confident of doing so, changing over to a 'normal' ski would not impede their development. They would feel a difference and perhaps require more effort to make a turn, but that's all.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
How does the tail mechanism deal with flexing forces in the ski if someone finds themself heavily i the back-seat, maybe after going over a bump which has thrown them off-balance? Or is the tail itself soft enough that it can absorb the flex without passing those forces onto the 'hinge' mechanism
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Feef, the tail still supports the skier if they find themselves in the back seat. Because the downward pressure on the tail is still strong, when you lean back, although the tail will 'flex' where the hinge is located slightly, it's not enough to throw the skier any further back. It's a good question because obviously a beginner does end up on the tails of the skis quite a bit, so the tail must be strong enough to support them. We did make some modifications to the prototypes a while back to provide more downward pressure on the tail unit to help further support skiers when leaning back. This modification also improved the overall performance of the ski by ensuring snow contact is kept through the turn, which has been a previous question.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy