Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Live in Geneva so should I ski in Utah??

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all.

I live in Geneva and for the past 5 years have taken a season pass either in Chamonix or PDS.
I love being able to ski every weekend Toofy Grin but for my main holiday I have been going to 3V.
The more I hear about skiing in the US the more I want to do it. The empty runs, great pow etc etc.

I'm one easily taken in by marketing so is it all hype or should I seriously be considering it? They have direct flights to Salt Lake City from CDG so it's not even like it's a hassle.

I'm really only thinking about it for the offpiste...

Any ideas??

Cheers
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Will S, there's more than a bit of hype surrounding that "greatest snow on earth" tag line they use. I've been there three times and only once experienced bottomless champagne powder, the other two times being so-so. If, like me, you really like the USA anyway, then go do it. Otherwise why not stay right where you are and invest in a few heli drops?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Skiing utah is brilliant. It's very much worth a trip. We based ourselves in SLC and hired a 4*4 then travelled out to different resorts. Great skiing, one of the best powder days I've ever had. Never had the same experience in Europe
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Will S, I have skied in US a lot, had very good powder days and weeks of skiing knee deep powder in bright sunshine during the day and snow at night. I can honestly say that the only true dry powder is in the US, having also skied for years in Ke 3V Whistler and never finding any. If you want to ski powder that flows over skis and rider like talc go to the US; I'm just waiting for the dollar to get back up and I will be there.

However it can be a bit thin some seasons so look to see if it is going to be one of those before you go.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Will S, hmmm.

Tricky. (We live in Geneva and Chamonix)

I've had two trips to Utah/Wyoming. The first was outstanding. The second merely very good. The second trip had the sort of snow that one reasonably readily finds up the Grands Montets, however, it was mostly unskied even a week later and there was so much of it +=> all controlled and patrolled. And Solitude is well named, and not ironically (probably as the septics don't do irony).

I'd happily go back.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Cynic wrote:
I can honestly say that the only true dry powder is in the US, .

apart from Japan.......which is more reliably snowy IMHO
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you decide to go, book only when you have a reasonable certainty of snow or if Euro snow is pants. A friend went last year in the first half of March and he sent me a text half way through the holiday "I haven't found a single square inch of snow that hadn't been skied 50 times over". (To be fair, very unusual conditions for Utah, and he did get a huge powder dump on the very last day).
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Will S, Laughing This post is a bit like "I live at the Playboy Mansion, should I nip over and play out with Harry to Vegas for the weekend"...............answer is of course yes if you're bored with Cham and EK/ 3V etc, even if I skied every weekend I find that difficult but if its an issue suggest you head out east on the train for the delights of Vorarlberg and Arlberg, or if too far Martigny for 4V 2 hours on the train from GVA. Nice problem to have. Personally I'd ski Utah tomorrow but my situation is different, 3 weeks in Europe = 1 week in Utah, so Japan and Utah will unfortunately both not happen unless I win the lottery rolling eyes
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Why not - I've met Swiss guides on holiday at Kicking Horse and Frenchies in Tahoe. It's different. Talk to anyone in a ski resort in the US and they'll talk about planning a trip to the places in Europe they've heard about as legends - Chamonix, St Anton, Zermatt etc. I always say to them that they need to be prepared for conditions to be less than perfect in any one given week and to enjoy the cultural experience as much as anything. You don't see many moose/elk/coyotes at the end of a day's skiing in Meribel (Brit chalet girls excepted) but you do in Jackson for example. You can't go shooting in the desert on an afernoon off in Tignes.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
+1 to kitenski's comment about Japan.

And you'll never forget that 1 week in Japan Markymark29 wink

Will S

If you're looking for steep & deep then N America and the Hakuba area of Japan are the go.

US - the Utah resorts; Jackson Hole, Wyoming
Canada - Revelstoke, Kicking Horse, Whitewater, Red Mountain
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mike Pow, Agreed, but 2 weeks at home looking out of the window when I would be in the Alps is a more painful proposition than the euphoria of Niseko I think. Would love to go to Japan (keep getting emails every day) and Utah but being realistic its a pipe-dream!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Will S, It occurs to me that although flights might make this a tricky idea, book what time off you need to book and then assess 3 or so weeks out. And consider things like, if Europe is having a good season and weather is generally unstable, somewhere near Andermatt might be a good bet.

If the US and Europe are having poor seasons, trade volume for quality and consider Japan.

Just as an example, on our major trip last year we had great (if somewhat skied) snow and skiing in Kicking Horse (lovely, lovely grippy couloirs), the most amazing heliskiing in Galena, even if it has been known to be lighter and fluffier, and then overnight on transfer day (thankfully) it all turned and the off piste in Revelstoke was frozen powder ruts.

Yeeuch.

A week is a long time...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Will S,
If you can go ... do go,
recommend that you go for 10 days and don't ski on the first day. (but that's to earn brownie points shopping wiv der misses!)
The must do place is "Snow Bird" the week I went we had very bad weather that even closed the airport.
But the snow was pretty good.

I do find it a weird place though, we could not get served champagne till after midday, even when the lift system closed.
When we finally did get up on the mountain, all the skiers were dressed head to toe in black all wore helmets and all carried these water bottles.
(I've just remembered this was 2001 and I had not seen many helmeted skiers)

I think these people take themselves far too seriously.

Its a good job they are a friendly bunch though, the road was closed for several hours that evening because of an avalanche.
So there was a long queue of cars waiting to go back down the mountain.
The bus which took us up there from Park City was waiting right down on the edge of Salt Lake City and could not get up.
I decided that me and the misses had to hitch hike down the mountain.
Went to the front of the queue and started tapping on windows of likely 4x4's
A couple of very good people gave us a lift not just back to the bus ... but right back to Park City in a serious blizzard.

We could not thank them enough.
I think these Americans deserve their great country!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
under a new name,
"Kicking horse" That is a serious hill! and the snow was deep and light. .... but it was mid week and eerily quite. I don't mind a whole piste to myself ... but a whole resort ..em a bit spooky.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DrLawn, Naw, love it.

Odd that the only decent restaurant was at the top of the hill.

Snow zombies all of them probably.
ski holidays
under a new name, (Kicking Horse)

I didn't pop into that restaurant, I'd left the misses in the one at the bottom of the hill (because she got the willies)
That was a very long day, we'd driven up from Banff and it was really a piste too far.
They also abandoned the hosting that afternoon because there was nobody about.

I only went up there to have a nose about, a mate of mine has a cabin in near Kicking Horse, I'll have to butter him up for a trip one year.
ski holidays
DrLawn wrote:
under a new name, (Kicking Horse)

I didn't pop into that restaurant, I'd left the misses in the one at the bottom of the hill (because she got the willies)

Funny I thought Fresh Meat Monday was female strippers.
snow conditions
fatbob,

Quote:

Funny I thought Fresh Meat Monday was female strippers.

It wasn't a Monday, or I don't think it was, cant remember!

Certainly no strippers there ...
That's another story Blush
snow report
Awesome replies.
Had thought about Japan also and it's even cheaper to there than salt lake!
Great idea to book the time off but hold off on the flights until I know what kind of season everyone is having.
Would love to go to Japan and luckily so would Mrs S! BUT, it's definitely a dream to go to Jackson Or Solitude.
Actually has anyone been to Telluride in Colorado? Hype suggests They also get heaps of powder?
My mate skies kicking horse every year now. Vowed never to come back to Europe skiing after the first trip!
snow report
Mike Pow, I thought snow at Jackson was supposed to be very hit or miss?
latest report
Will S
Telluride is a fantastic mountain. Can be thin some years.

On an extended trip you can combine Telluride with Crested Butte and Monarch.

You won't be disappointed with Japan.

patricksh
Early and late. But the majority of the season they get the goods. Teton Gravity Research base themselves there. For good reason.

Not skied it myself. Short season and always closed before the mountains I've worked at in the States.
snow report
Will S wrote:
Hi all.
The more I hear about skiing in the US the more I want to do it. The empty runs, great pow etc etc.

Any ideas??

Try skiing some other places in France and Switzerland. See if you can be flexible at work about taking days off to storm chase a bit. Avoid big mega resorts that get skied out very quickly. Don't bother with your season pass this year.
snow conditions
patricksh wrote:
Mike Pow, I thought snow at Jackson was supposed to be very hit or miss?

Everywhere is hit & miss. Anyone who's gone to Europe on the back of a month long snow drought or a Foehn destruction event knows that luck plays a large part in hitting sweet spot conditions. In US core skiing resorts the locals will be bitching if they aren't getting a few feet of top-ups a week. Maybe Japan at certain points in time can "guarantee" the storm tap is turned on.
snow report
In my experience - 6 seasons - the Shiribeshi region of Hokkaido (Niseko Resort Area, Moiwa, Rusutsu, Kiroro) is very high on hit and very low on miss between mid-December and the end of February.
snow report
My experience of Jackson Hole (and Whistler - the only North American skiing I've done) is that the powder is all gone in a day, or even half a day. In Europe, in my experience you can ski off piste for many days before it is skied out (though less so in Chamonix because of the number of good off-piste skiers). However in Europe you really need a guide, whereas in the USA the area of off piste is much much smaller but avalanche controlled. Out of bounds skiing seems to be limited unless you are prepared to walk quite a lot. Personally, as someone who skis in Europe a lot with guides I was disappointed. I have not experienced the fabled American champagne powder, though i am perfectly prepared to believe it exists.
snow report
davidof,
Quote:

See if you can be flexible at work about taking days off to storm chase a bit. Avoid big mega resorts that get skied out very quickly. Don't bother with your season pass this year.

Totally agree. I ski mostly with my boss who is as keen as I am so storm days are a given wink
The plan this year is exactly what you say, don't get a season pass and go to different resorts.
Chamonix for me is awesome even if it is tracked out. Generally get a guide a few times a season which is always fun. Started skinning places now which makes a big difference to what you can ski!

snowball,
It's interesting to hear what you say about Jackson being skied out. I always imagined it was fairly empty and therefore plenty of the good stuff hanging around.

Mike Pow,

Quote:

In my experience - 6 seasons - the Shiribeshi region of Hokkaido (Niseko Resort Area, Moiwa, Rusutsu, Kiroro) is very high on hit and very low on miss between mid-December and the end of February.

Sounds excellent. Watched some great Japan footage this morning...
ski holidays
Will S wrote:

Mike Pow,

Quote:

Sounds excellent. Watched some great Japan footage this morning...

This part of Hokkaido doesn't have the steeps of Chamonix, Jackson, Snowbird and the like but it certainly has the powder and plenty of it.

Lightest, deepest, most consistent snow I've had the pleasure of.

Done seasons in Colorado, Utah, Montana, BC and skied powder on five continents.
latest report
Hokkaido sounds awesome but a quick check suggests 30 hours flying! I love my powder but...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Will S, you lucky lucky Fitzwilliam
ski holidays
Will S, I've skied for 27 years, mostly Europe, skied Utah for a weekend had 3 separate weeks in Colorado, 10 days in Jackson and 10 days in Japan. If I could pick 1 trip to do again it would be Japan.
snow report
kitenski,

Where did you go in Japan?
ski holidays
Will S wrote:

It's interesting to hear what you say about Jackson being skied out. I always imagined it was fairly empty and therefore plenty of the good stuff hanging around.

Like Chamonix - too many ski bums and rad locals for any tourist to score the best inbound goods unless they are very sharp.
ski holidays
Will S wrote:
kitenski, Where did you go in Japan?
Niseko, here's a few photos

ski holidays
Frames 6,7,8 & 9 skier is clearly struggling with pressure control in his outside ski as shown by the lack of a clean tramline.
ski holidays
fatbob, yeah, but what about the arm position? wink
ski holidays
Dragging inside hand. Clearly he'll never enjoy skiing till he fixes that.
ski holidays
fatbob wrote:
Dragging inside hand. Clearly he'll never enjoy skiing till he fixes that.
Next time I see him I'll tell him to get it sorted.
ski holidays
If you are set on further afield, head to Japan, as Kitenski and Rob@rar said it's got reliable powder.

Sorry mike pow, but if you know where to look Japsn Does rival anything in Japan.

As for me I'm probably staying at home in Chamonix - where there are plenty of slopes that NEVER get skied out on a powder day - just they and 75% of the slopes here are only accessible to 1% of the skiers Smile
snow conditions
Idris,
Quote:

As for me I'm probably staying at home in Chamonix - where there are plenty of slopes that NEVER get skied out on a powder day - just they and 75% of the slopes here are only accessible to 1% of the skiers

Just as long as they open a lift Toofy Grin

So, I'm being swung easily towards Niseko! I'm off to look at travel times!
latest report
OK, realistically I need skiing somewhere near Tokyo to make sense. Are there any ski resorts within 2 hours from Tokyo?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy