Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Easter 2013 - Where to go from Munich?

Poster: A snowHead
Hello all,

Lufthansa had £99 return flights to Munich at Easter so I booked them... and now we need to figure out where to go! We arrive on Thursday night about 10pm and leave on Monday about 7pm. The plan is to see a bit of a Munich on Friday and travel to the resort on Friday night, ski Sat+Sun, return to Munich Sunday night and see a bit more of Munich on Monday. We would probably hire a car, but this could change depending on options we come up with.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to go? Garmisch/Zugspitze have come up in searches, as have Kitzbuhel/Kirchberg, but I've been left with the impression that these would be less than ideal at that time of year.

Experience wise, I'll be a 3rd'ish week skier at that point (1 week in Morzine 2012 followed by 50+ hours in Hemel followed by another week Morzine Jan 2013), and my girlfriend is a fairly strong intermediate I think (many family holidays to Morzine, does the occasional black but much prefers cruising around on reds).

The option we're most seriously considering would be to base ourselves in Radstadt/Altermarkt and pick where we ski based on conditions. If it's warm (too warm?) and nice, Obertauern or Zauchensee. If it's windy/cold/crap, then we'd stay lower in the valley and ski the smaller hill of Alternmarkt/Radstadt or maybe head over to Schladming. This have the advantage of:
- cheaper accommodation
- options depending on weather
- mostly only requires motorway driving
- leaving friday eve/sunday eve means we should miss most of the traffic?

If relevant, neither of us have skied in Austria before!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Radstadt/Altenmarkt sounds good some lovely opportunities around there. Never been to Pitztal but it looked promising when I was looking for a trip at the same time of year.
Galtur with the opportunity of going to Ischgl ia another I would consider though it is liekly to be a fair bit more expensive. Mayrhofen valley is another popular choice late season.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You could try Stubai - its a glacier so there will be snow. The most convenient place to stay is at the hotel (the only hotel) by the gondola. We stayed in Neustift which has more accommodation, bars, restaurants, shops etc. The free ski bus picks up there or there is a huge car park if you want to drive.

It takes a about 2 hours to drive to Neustift from Munich.

http://www.stubaier-gletscher.com/en/winter/
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
http://www.j2ski.co.uk/ski_resorts/Airports/Munich.html
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
starkraving, I see you are well named if that's how you drive! With the best will in the world, there's not a snowball in hell's chance of doing that and not getting fined for either speeding or dangerous driving or maybe even both!

driz, your plan for Radstadt/Altenmarkt is spot on. Loads of built in flexibility and masses to choose from. Contact flangesax a snowHead couple who run a Pension in Radstadt for really good advice!

Depends on when you plan to leave on Sunday night as to whether you miss the traffic or not. There is an awful lot of weekend returning traffic to Munich and beyond on Sundays. If you can make it a Monday morning return you will make better time on the whole. I ski most weekends over that way and have a variety of routes to get past the usual bottlenecks, but heading to Munich there are some that you just cannot avoid unless you are a local like myself and do not have to meet check in times!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
? It's only 114 miles from Munich to Neustift, and virtually all motorway until you turn off near Innsbruck into the Stubai valley. Puzzled I didn't speed at all.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
starkraving, 100km/hour IG-L speed limit on the A12, 50km/hour speed limit along swathes of the L183 from Schönberg to Neustift, large sections of the A93 Kiefersfelden to Brannenberg contraflow and now down to 80km/h. A8 Bad Aibling to Weyern variable from 120km/h to 100km/h (can be a lot lower when the weather is bad over the Irschenberg). A99 largely 120km/h with sections that drop to 80 if traffic is heavy! It is 138 miles (or 223kms) by the way! Avoiding tolls it is 3+ hours tonight in the current traffic and road conditions and 2.5 hours using the motorway route.

I can only say that you were lucky to get away with it or you have an extremely flexible measurement of time! Laughing
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Good god that's pretty sad! Was only suggesting somewhere to help the op and having actually done the trip I know how long it took and what speed I was doing. I've got better things to do than argue with an anorak. Bye
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'd go to Kitzbuehel and have the best time. It will take about an hour and a half once you've got your hire car.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Easter is the end of March next year so the snow should be fine.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
starkraving, You've done the trip once and got away with it. I live here and do that trip many times a week. You are wrong, so stop being an ungracious twat and take advice from someone who really knows the roads. In winter a realistic time to plan getting from Munich Airport to Neustift via the Autobahn route is at least 3 hours and pray that there are no traffic jams. Sometimes it takes me that to get from Rosenheim to Munich, you wally. rolling eyes
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Samerberg Sue, You do have a way with words...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
RobW, Toofy Grin wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
How long from Munich to Mayrhofen, 1 hr 45?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
popcorn please....
latest report
Easter is a little earlier in the season this year.
So, in my experience you are pretty much sorted wherever you fancy skiing in Austria.... Just pick somewhere you fancy and go for it!
snow conditions
DrLawn wrote:
I'd go to Kitzbuehel and have the best time. It will take about an hour and a half once you've got your hire car.

We were there for Easter this year (early again) and had a great time.

But agree with keeping it flexible if you're going to have a car. Never saw a queue at the lift pass office so just buy on the day based on where you fancy.
ski holidays
Oh no I've talked my ski buddies out of a weekend in Ischgl in favour of Mayrhofen on the basis of slightly cheaper flights and only 2hrs from Munich. Have I been sold a pup by google maps and skyscanner Confused Also the comments about 2hrs to get on the ski lift first thing in the morning is really stressing me out. My mates will hate me, I'll never ski again what shall I do aaaaarrrrrggggghhhh!!! Sad Sad
snow report
halfhand,
You've got to spend the extra hour or so and go to Ischgl, its just a better place. It is a bit far for most brit transfers but in my opinion well worth it.
OK .. you might miss the packed out "Scotland Yard", but you wont have missed much.
"Slightly cheaper" ... there is no such thing ... your on a ski holiday ... your not going to come back minted are you?

Tell em that you found out the ski bunnies are better looking in Ischgl, that should convince them.
ski holidays
halfhand, Definitely not 2 hours, but a way better option for your mates! Even tonight all 3 route options are returning around 3 hours. All the current route planners take the current road conditions, which is fine say tonight with not much traffic around. But do the same calculation this weekend for example and see the difference in time. This weekend sees the Grand Retour for northern Europe! All routes through and around Munich wil be slow and in some places at a standstill.

Are you hiring a vehicle or organising a transfer for your mates? what days are you travelling to and from the airport? I kind of remember that it is only a part week so if you are not traveling on a Saturday you may have an easier trip out, at least traffic volume-wise. Sunday returns to Munich are a mare unless you have a late flight out or even a red-eye on the Monday morning. People always underestimate just how many people travel to the slopes for day trips, especially on a Sunday! No Sunday shopping here in deepest darkest Catholic Bavaria wink
snow conditions
DrLawn, Flights are slightly cheaper all the rest is much of a muchness, quite right though' it's a ski holiday and it's never going to be easy on the wallet Samerberg Sue, Forgot the wink at the end of my post Laughing Laughing . Ischgl will be for another time but for a week rather than a long weekend. Wednesday evening flight out, Sunday flight back is around 9 or 10pm Smile . Just grateful to get away once or twice a year.
snow conditions
halfhand wrote:
DrLawn, Flights are slightly cheaper all the rest is much of a muchness, quite right though' it's a ski holiday and it's never going to be easy on the wallet Samerberg Sue, Forgot the wink at the end of my post Laughing Laughing . Ischgl will be for another time but for a week rather than a long weekend. Wednesday evening flight out, Sunday flight back is around 9 or 10pm Smile . Just grateful to get away once or twice a year.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 7-09-12 18:47; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
I agree, def not 2 hrs to the Hoff on a good day, 1 3/4 hours, 1 1/2 if you're lucky/speedy. Took me 6 hours out this year (race weekend and blizzard). 1 hour 40 on the way back (no speeding).
snow report
It took me 22 hours to get to Ishgl from Nuremberg,
mostly because my mate smashed the car to bits in the first tunnel after Innsbruck.
Stopped the night in Landeck in a not very happy state.
Took the train back to Nuremberg got my car and went down again.
Managed to get up in the mountain by the afternoon.

Tip: When the snow is coming at you like stair rods in the dark, its going to be black ice on the entrance to the tunnel.
latest report
DrLawn, Shocked
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy