Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chavannes Express

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi i am new to this site and not sure if I have even posted this under the correct Index!!!!!! Aplogies if not Very Happy
I am one of a large party who are going to Morzine in January next year, we are staying about 6 mins, by car, from Morzine centre. There are a few people in our party who are not really keen skiers and only do around 2 hours a day on the nursery slopes, so I am trying to find a way of them not paying a huge fortune for the lift pass and have seen something on the Morznet.com webiste, which says that at the top of the Chavannes express there is an area consisting of 4 green runs which is free and for beginners. Does anyone know of this area, and if yes, is this the case, but is the Chavannes express a free lift pass too.
Any help anyone can give me with this would be greatly appreciated
many thanks
Fif's Laughing
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
auntyfifi, The Chavannes express is not free - its the six man chair lift that goes up from the centre of the village alongside the gondola - known as the Red Egg as the old cars were egg shaped. Unless they were going to drive up to the Chavannes area they would either need to go up on the Chavannes express or the red egg and need lift passes for those. There are a couple of greens at the top of one of the drag lifts up there but they would get very bored skiing those for 2 hours a day. And they would have to get there from Morzine too. Even if they are not keen skiers its probably worth them having a lift pass so that they can access the various areas to meet everyone else at lunchtime.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
auntyfifi, you could drive up there - I haven't been for years, but IIRC there's very limited parking.

However, your reluctant skiers would be SO much better having some lessons - there are some well recommended ski schools in Les Gets. As Pamski says it would be super-boring skiing a few free lifts every day. They would need a lift pass for ski school, and could then get up the other - Mont Chery - side as well. Would be much more enjoyable.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
auntyfifi, the greens in question are real beginners' slopes - almost flat and only about 50 yards long, not much even by UK dry-slope standards. And yes you can drive there but if they're that reluctant they probably won't make it past the bar/restaurant at the foot of the slope. Very Happy

Anyway, they shouldn't be put off by the cost as Morzine/Les Gets (and for that matter, Portes du Soleil) is one of the cheapest places to ski in the Alps. They don't even have to buy one day or half day passes. You can buy a pass that gives you so many points, with each lift costing a certain number of points which you can use any time you like, or top up if you want a few more.

In fact, (like you do) I've just found on my desk the printed sheet they gave my wife last year with the points per lift. I'll load it in a mo and you can take a look. I can't remember the cost but it's probably on the Les Gets web site I guess...
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Here you go...
[img]https://snowheads.com/the_zone/showphoto.php/data/500/thumbs/scan0001.bmp[/img]

Oh apparently the forum won't display bmp pics, but if you click on the link you should see it.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Found it, it's €20 for 50 points. Voila!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Also if you're staying in Morzine it's a bit of a PITA to go to Les Gets - Park - then go up the Chavannes and be in the middle of the ski school/ little kids hoard.
Depending on snowfall - go to Grande Terche for the day - best place to start of total beginners in my opinion if the snow is good!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
auntyfifi, that is a great suggestion of Nadenoodlee, we always enjoy a few days at Grande Terche during the season - those that want to can go further and do the circuit, once or twice, and those that just want to go up and down a bit can do that and sit and enjoy coffee, glass of wine, lunch, coffee.....

I had a quick look at Morznet and couldn't see the bit to which you refer but they would certainly, as already said, get bored with the green very quickly on the Chavannes.

A lift pass is the way to go.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just wanted to say, the green pistes off the top of Chavannes Express aren't really there - it's actually a (very small) kids and family only ski area, and yes, there were a couple of patrollers when I was there (Early Jan 2012 - though I was only there one day, so it might have just been restricted at times). If it's all adult beginners, it won't suit.

I took a good hard look at it, as I was very much a beginner skier, and thought they'd be good for me - I ended up skiing down Gentiane, which wasn't too bad, and then using Piste 64 which is actually a nice green, until I had the confidence to go down Fougere.

Those would definitely get boring after more than a few hours - I spent a lot of time drinking hot choc in the sun Smile
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We took my brothers gf there for her first time on skis Pamski, 12e I think for a one day beginner pass- a bargain!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy