Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help! Advice needed

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
First post, hello all.

I'm beginning to plan a family ski trip in February. Now based back in England, we've lived in Canada for a few years, and have skied quite a few of the resorts in the Rockies. Lake Louise is our favourite. Standards are good intermediates (mum & dad) and advanced (kids, 12 & 10). We've averaged 30-40 days a season for the past few years, though we had none at all last year. We've never skied in Europe before as a family, but I've skied Alpe D'Huez before and really enjoyed it.

Our criteria are:

Skiing
Don't want insane lift queues
Don't want insanely busy runs, especially back to the resort
Not looking for daredevil stuff, good cruising and a bit of variety would be ideal.
Not bothered about boarding or terrain parks
Easy access to slopes from resort (not necessarily ski-in/out)
Decent choice of mountain restaurants/cafes

Resort
Ideally, flights from Stansted
Family friendly - not looking for Club 18-30 style, or Prince Harry and his yahoo chums!
Well laid out for easy access to good choice of restaurants in the evening
Self-catered apartment, ideally with pool/hot-tub
Bonus points for not being concrete brutalist architecture!

Can anyone help with this wish-list?!?!?!?

Thoughts so far:

Belle Plagne, Valmorel, La Clusaz... any others I might check out?

Thanks in advance!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi

Sounds like you want somwhere quite relaxing, good sking, plenty of it, a good selection of mountain eateries, and something with charm.

La Clusaz for sure has that, but other places I would try would be the Portes du Soleil, 650km of skiing to suite all. I would suggest Les Gets , though this can be a little pricey or Chatel the other side of the Portes du Soleil, no high rises, still a farming village with a lot to offer. This is a rustique village with no major tour operators, so perfect for what you are looking for.

Les houches could be also another place to try, though the skiing can be spread out through out the valley and extreme in places.

Les Carroz over in the Grand Massif , lovely village again with no high rises.

Good luck with your search

Paul
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Paul, some good tips there. Will check them out.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
MacPie, welcome to snowheads. snowHead given your sensible wish to avoid lift queues, if you want to go to France, then get there in the first week, before either the British or the French school holidays start.

I'd agree that Les Gets would be a good choice. Another - more upmarket, and more French, alternative might be Megeve. Some eye-wateringly expensive restaurants there, but also a good range of others, beautiful pedestrianised centre, some nice buildings, horse-drawn carriages. Stupidly expensive underwear shops.

Or, with access to the same skiing, St Gervais. A proper town, with some nice old buildings.

One factor which will help determine choice of resort (and cut down on choice) is whether you want ski in/out accommodation.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
MacPie, I'd second what pam w says about the FR and GB holidays. GB and FR half terms start in third week of Feb (17 Feb onwards?), I think, with some GB schools on half term in the second week of Feb (10 Feb onwards?).
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
MacPie, Welcome to SH, It maybe a little too small for you but have a look at Pila in Italy as you can fly in to Turin for a reasonable length transfer. We use pilaski.co.uk who will organise anything you want.

There are a load more places in the Aosta Valley you can go out for a day to add to the experience.

Being Italy plenty of places on the valley and in town for great food and it is reasonable prices too.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks all, we've booked La Clusaz. Looking forward to it now, hope it's a good season. (I'm working in northern Canada, we'll have our first snow in the next couple of weeks)
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I find this forum quite biased towards skiing in France wheras I prefer Italy, much cheaper and it isn't full of French people.

Try the Milky Way, sauze or sestriere for ease of access and nice runs down to the resort.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm not sure Sestriere would satisfy the architectural requirement Smile
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ah, didn't see that bit but yes it is a tad concrete.

Try Sauze old town.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Or Montgenevre.
Oops, that's France again but for me the nicest bit of the Milky Way.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy