Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ischgl 2012/13

Poster: A snowHead
Ischgl starts rolling it's lifts on Friday 23 November for a (longer than normal) week long openning festival culminating in the Top of the Mountain concert on 01 December which promises one of the world's most successful bands. Apparently. Ischgl has over the years attracted some really top names and at other times some slightly less so. All will be revealed soon no doubt.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
nozawaonsen, do you know how much money Ischgl make out of their annual opening/closing concerts, or whether it is a 'loss making' marketing exercise?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

ulminating in the Top of the Mountain concert on 01 December which promises one of the world's most successful bands. Apparently

Laughing
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
boabski, no idea. I suppose as you say it depends whether they see it as a single event or whether it and the other events through the season are deemed to be promotional activities and therefore overall costs from the marketing budget. The cost of lift tickets for the opening concert has risen in recent years (or that's how it feels to me). I used to prefer it when they used the square in front on the main lift, but crowd sizes mean they've moved to the field on the other side of the main road.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
nozawaonsen, how much are the tickets?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
boabski, I think they tend to add an extra 10 to fifteen Euros to the ticket price for the concert. You can I suspect bring this down by getting a multi day pass. To be honest that's not a huge hike if the band playing is one you want to see. The general price is about 42.50 euros a day which is at the pricier end, but it's a large fast modern lift system so that seems fair enough to me.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
nozawaonsen, Sounds very reasonable. Cheers for the info
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After 28 years of tug of war the controversial Piz Val Gronda project has finally been approved with new less environmentally damaging proposals allowing agreement to be reached. Building is planned to start next year.

Grünes Licht für Piz val Gronda
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

do you know how much money Ischgl make out of their annual opening/closing concerts

No, but the lift company in Ischgl prides itself on reinvesting all its profits, and of never having paid a dividend since it was established 50+ years ago.

You can take two views of this: (i) they are extraordinarily altruistic compared with more commercially minded operations in most other resorts (which seems unlikely); or (ii) the shareholders of the lift system reckon their investment generates a return elsewhere....e.g. maybe they also own the hotels and restaurants, and the great lift system ensures that they have lots of customers for these. The latter explanation seems more likely. I'd imagine the concerts at the start & finish of the season fit with this calculation....if they didn't have the concerts, the resort would be virtually empty so early and late in the season. Plus they add a bit of glamour to the resort which enhances its status....this is a place where Madonna, Sting, Elton John, Tina Turner, etc. have all performed....makes it sound more dynamic than most other resorts in the Alps
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
nozawaonsen, interesting. Do you think they will build that quick?
Apparently it will add only 1.3km of piste Puzzled
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Julian T, Agree with everything you say. I've been going there for the best part of twenty years and its gone from having a poor lift system with some unbelievably long T bars to having just about the best around. Great lift system, legends of music etc. means more people and therefore, higher incomes and profits for its inhabitants.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ischgl seems to be determined to fully use all the area. Fine if you like pistes - not so great if you like off piste and touring. We went there earlier this year and we toured up this peak. Can't imagine going up with how crowded it is and limited off piste nearby compared to other restorts.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
SkiingQuinHat, guess it will create more lift accessed off piste. Whether that's a good thing depends on your point of view I suppose.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SkiingQuinHat, It is certainly popular with tourers and will decrease their area, but will presumably increase the off piste area available for lift based off piste skiers.My own impression of the area as an occasional off piste skier is that there is more stuff untouched within a short walk than in the more popular places such as St Anton because it appeals to piste skiers.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:

http://www.alpenverein.at/portal_wAssets/mixed/natur-umwelt/alpine_raumordnung/img/pizvalgronda_winter.jpg
snow report
snow report
nozawaonsen wrote:
After 28 years of tug of war the controversial Piz Val Gronda project has finally been approved with new less environmentally damaging proposals allowing agreement to be reached. Building is planned to start next year.

Grünes Licht für Piz val Gronda

It was always going to happen but again destruction of hectares of Off-Piste.
latest report
Openning Top of the Mountain concert on 01 December is The Scorpions for the hard rock, hard skiing crowd.
latest report
Details of some of the new building work in Ischgl.

http://www.ischgl.com/en/building-blog-ischgl-tyrol?category=78448
snow report
nozawaonsen, David Hasssolhof is also confirmed as a headliner - to cater for the more refined aural palette
snow report
Quote:
Q: How much are the tickets?
A:I think they tend to add an extra 10 to fifteen Euros to the ticket price for the concert. You can I suspect bring this down by getting a multi day pass. To be honest that's not a huge hike if the band playing is one you want to see.

Er, try €95 for a day pass Shocked - it made us glad we don't like Mariah Carey! As suggested above, they (very astutely) realise that people wouldn't pay €95 for a day but would happily pay 120-odd for 3 days.

Mind David Hasselhof must be worth €95 of anybody's money Toofy Grin.....

latest report
mountainaddict, depends on who is playing I think.

So for the Scorpions that is E57 for a one day ski pass and entry to the concert (versus E42.50 normally so a premium of E14.50 or just over a tenner). Any ski pass valid for two days or more gets you in free.

For the Maria Carey concert it was E95 for just the day pass, a two day pass was E125 (so E62.5 per day) and a 3 day pass E128 or about E42 per day.

It clearly favours those who are there for a few days skiing. The cost is loaded on those who just come for the concert. That seems quite fair enough. I honestly can't see how anyone who is primarily there for a few days skiing would even notice the extra cost.

Hasselhof played a concert at Pascha in 2011 I wasn't aware he was involved in the opening this year? Other luminaries of Pascha have included Pierre Sarkozy. The whole Hasselhof is wildly popular in the German speaking world is a bit overdone to be honest.

Anyway here's some quality...

http://youtube.com/v/M7fd9AT_qF8&feature=relmfu
ski holidays
Looks nice and white this morning:
http://palinkopf.panomax.at?t=2012-10-16+08:50:00
http://palinkopf.panomax.at?t=2012-10-16+11:40:00

And live image to brilliant, new, panoramic webcam:

http://palinkopf.panomax.at

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 16-10-12 12:06; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
snow conditions
Tom W, Thanks for that, its superb. Only yesterday confirmed my hotel booking, eight nights 1st to 8th March.
snow report
I'd gladly pay 57 euro for a days skiing and a Scorps gig at night Laughing
latest report
Tom W wrote:

And live image to brilliant, new, panoramic webcam:

http://palinkopf.panomax.at

Just looking at that, cool webcam!
snow report
Some nice pics of recent weather in Ischgl. Amy Macdonald now added to their openning week line up (playing a separate gig from The Scorpions).

http://www.ischgl.com/en/active/ski-area/latest-pictures
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Another nice panorama webcam. Village and home runs:

http://ischgl.panomax.at/
ski holidays
Well over half the runs open.

Pistes in good condition. Nice grippy snow. Very well groomed. Off piste very patchy, but very rewarding with a little effort (hiking). Even managed to have a run right down to resort viable (not sure officially open).

Very pleasant and warn in the sun (between high cloud). Quiet. Nice.
snow conditions
Another sunny, crisp day, great piste conditions. Over 100km of pistes open.

Quiet, no queues and plenty of space on the slopes.
latest report
Pictures/report from Saturday from Alpinforum:

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?sl=de&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.alpinforum.com%2Fforum%2Fviewtopic.php%3Ff%3D46%26t%3D45130

ski holidays
Looks like the storm clouds are blowing into Ischgl today, still very Foehny over here, reckon you'll get snow nozawaonsen? Trying to decide if the longer journey will be worth it tomorrow over going to Stubai.
latest report
Heading to Ischgl on 8th Dec for a week, Can't wait Toofy Grin
snow report
clarky999, definitely a Foehn blowing. Mild and windy. Sun between clouds. A few flakes falling up high. Pistes have softened a bit (not a bad thing). Very quiet in the sort of pre season week. Think Wednesday night into Thursday more likely for snow. Friday should be good.
ski holidays
Wind really picking up this evening. Could be quite an issue tomorrow.
snow report
Google piste view.

http://bit.ly/VdIYOQ

Down in town light snow falling.
latest report
Bergfex promising nice amounts of new snow snowHead

I'll try and post snow reports next week when I'm out there unless I'm distracted by the go go girls Blush
snow report
Great stuff 2planks enjoy I am out on the 19th so all info would be appreciated incl. on the go go girls. Enjoy
snow report
A light dusting today, still busy in the Idalp but quiet away from there. Resort run a bit scratchy. Pistes are in excellent condition just a few minor humps late afternoon.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy