Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Inexpensive ski gear

Poster: A snowHead
Having been out of the ski 'sphere' for a couple of years (finances, studying etc) I am taking my girlfriend on her first ski holiday later this year, so she needs fully kitting out. Money still being somewhat of an issue, can anyone recommend any sites/shops I would be able to get her everything she needs, decent quality but not overly expensive? Either an outlet store for the major brands or somewhere selling smaller, less well-known brands?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
TKMaxx : just be prepared to hunt

Bicester Village : There's a Helly Hansen and North Face outlet there among others.

Go Outdoors : Seem to have reasonable kit for reasonable prices, but nothing exceptional.

Most ski shops online seem to still be in the summer sale phase, so might be worth seeing what you can pick up there.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
feef,
Quote:

Bicester Village : There's a Helly Hansen and North Face outlet there among others.

I think the Helly Shop has now shut, its a real shame as they had some great gear at very good prices, apparently Helly and Tog 24 were not up market enough for the owners of Bicester Village Shocked

Tog 24 has moved to the centre just up the road where the Garden Centre is along with Cotswold, sorry can not remember the name of centre its only 2 mins away though.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think there is a Tog24 in the Clarks Village outlet in Somerset
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
livetoski wrote:
feef,
Quote:

I think the Helly Shop has now shut, its a real shame as they had some great gear at very good prices, apparently Helly and Tog 24 were not up market enough for the owners of Bicester Village Shocked

What's more upmarket than yachties!?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
If you dont mind 2nd hand fleabay can be good, I got Mrs Baggins a Gortex Eider Jacket, which the owner stated worn once, and when it arrived apart from not having a price tag on, it appeared brand new and all for £38 delivered, we have checked and it is genuine.

I got a mens gortex eider for the same
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Decathlon store if you can get to one
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If yourhappy to rummage also worth checking out Sport direct, I got kitted out with jacket, trews and gloves for under £30 last season, mid level brands available, will probably last 2-3 seasons. Even Aldi/Lidl do a ski wear sale, while not long lasting its good enough for a season or two while your girlfriend tests the water. Again incl a set of thermals your looking sub £50. Plus 1 for tk maxx if your more bothered by labels.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Where in wet, wet Wales are you?

TK Maxx in Merthyr and Cardiff

McArthur Glen Outlet near Bridgend
http://www.bridgenddesigneroutlet.com/

Berghaus, Helly Hansen, Regatta, Tog 24, Trespass
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mike Pow wrote:
Where in wet, wet Wales are you?

Well, I am currently in Devon, soon to be in Gloucestershire, but my girlfriend lives in Swansea, so those options you mentioned might be quite useful.

What experience/knowledge do people have of Dare2B and Surfanic? They seem to be 2 of the cheapest brands readily available.

We will be in Switzerland over New Year, so something suitable for those kind of temperatures.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

suitable for those kind of temperatures.

nobody knows what kind of temperatures there'll be at New Year. However, your GF is having her first holiday (lucky girl....) not touring miles from civilisation or hanging in a bivvy on the North Face of the Eiger. She'll be absolutely fine in Dare2Be, or whatever, with some sensible thermals and mid layers so she can layer up or down for the temperatures. In beginner ski school classes she will probably be very warm. If you ski together after her lessons, take it very easy, don't take her anywhere she's not been with the instructor, and if she starts getting cold - or tired - wheel her straight in to a nice mountain restaurant for a hot chocolate or a mulled wine!

You can get some v good gear in T K Maxx - but yes, you have to hunt around a bit.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
gregor the viking,

Skiwear for less is in Exeter. I kitted the kids out with some of their stuff.

8 - 9 Alphinbrook Court
Alphinbrook Road
Marsh Barton Trading Estate
Exeter
EX2 8QR

TEL: 01392 455157
FAX: 01392 455159
exeter@skiwear4less.com

There is a decent ski shop in Newton Abbot, but it isn't that easy to find.

Devon Ski Centre
Oak Place
Newton Abbot
TQ12 2EX
Tel: 01626 351278
Fax: 01626 351065
http://www.devonski.co.uk/
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Trespass
Decathlon
Mountain Warehouse
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dare2B gear is solid. As is Trespass.

Same company.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mike Pow, I didn't know they were the same folk. Interesting. Another successful British company (well, Scottish actually Smile )
latest report
Mike Pow wrote:
Same company.
Don't think so. Think Tog24 and D2B and Regatta are related somehow.
snow conditions
Bode Swiller wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:
Same company.
Don't think so. Think Tog24 and D2B and Regatta are related somehow.

Oops my bad.

Meant Dare2B and Regatta.

Sorry.
snow conditions
Ski Exchange, Cambridge
latest report
gregor the viking wrote:
Having been out of the ski 'sphere' for a couple of years (finances, studying etc) I am taking my girlfriend on her first ski holiday later this year, so she needs fully kitting out. Money still being somewhat of an issue, can anyone recommend any sites/shops I would be able to get her everything she needs, decent quality but not overly expensive? Either an outlet store for the major brands or somewhere selling smaller, less well-known brands?

Lidls have got a limited range of Ski accessories coming in on Thursday 1st November. I can highly recommend their base layer stuff, as well as ski socks and gloves. The top layer stuff can be a bit hit and miss, though I did pick up some excellent mens ski trousers from Aldi a year or two ago. Well worth a look. They (and Aldi) usually get a really decent selection of ski goggles and helmets in too. Worth keeping an eye out for if you are on a tight budget.
ski holidays
Cynic wrote:
Ski Exchange, Cambridge

generally have some good stuff.

The chap that runs it, Simon, seems a decent bloke and very willing to help.
snow report
There's a lot of mention of Tog 24 on this thread.

I feel that I would like to point out the following: I possess a Tog 24 raincoat. It's about as waterproof as a thinly cut slice of water.

Tog 24 are proper make-no-bones-about-it crap, in my limited experience.
snow conditions
There used to be a sticky called something like "Ski gear for the tight-fisted" that contained loads of information. I can't seem to find it... whatever happened to it?
snow conditions
And as Lidl's appears tomorrow Aldi's ski/board gear will no doubt be in store before long, usually a bit more expensive than Lidl (but still ridiculously cheap) but better quality in my opinion. Haven't got any Tog 24 ski gear but my hiking hardshell is fine.
ski holidays
davkt wrote:
And as Lidl's appears tomorrow Aldi's ski/board gear will no doubt be in store before long, usually a bit more expensive than Lidl (but still ridiculously cheap) but better quality in my opinion. Haven't got any Tog 24 ski gear but my hiking hardshell is fine.

I agree with you Davkt. Aldi are the better option in terms of quality. Regarding Tog 24, take as you find, I have a mid range Tog 24 ski jacket (and so do my wife and kids) and I am perfectly happy with it. Certainly not the best, but perfectly adequate.
snow conditions
gregor the viking, Is she going to wear for one trip only? If so go to Primark - super cheap, also check the threads out here for Aldi/Lidl. Go Outdoors has good quality at reasonable prices with their discount card.
snow report
Another vote for TKMaxx, if you can cope with trawling through everything, good place to pick up decent gloves and socks at a good price. I've a few thermals from Primark, were only a couple of quid and work just as well, if not better, than some of the more expensive brand base layers I have. Sportpursuit have some brand stuff discounted.
snow report
primark ....no no no. cheap yes, but If its labelled as waterproof you will sweat inside it. Aldi, .. do good gear. best i have found is gloves at £4 a pair..... all gloves get wet so why pay £50 a pair when you can buy two for a tenner and change them during the day. ( ive never had to ) They have lasted me two seasons of 12 weeks per season. Trousers were good but my son tried snowboarding and got a wet back bottom due to being on it most of the time. Jackets last, but did not keep out the wind. Ebay,...best place for cheap gear ... look out for fashionistas selling last years colour at a bargain, and there really are some stonkas out there..... all depends on your budget though and what you perceive cheap as being...
ski holidays
I was at Castleford today and noticed the Surfanic shop had a deal where if you bought a ski jacket, the salopettes were £1.
Don't have any experience of surfanic myself but have heard it is pretty good for the orice
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
limegreen1, Primark not for me but depends on how tight the finances are wink.
latest report
Surfanic are excellent for the price. Did a season in a pair of their trousers and they held up to the abuse well. Got a mate who did two seasons in their trousers and jacket and only has good things to say.
snow conditions
Zero-G wrote:
There used to be a sticky called something like "Ski gear for the tight-fisted" that contained loads of information. I can't seem to find it... whatever happened to it?

Here it is http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=516774&highlight=budget+gear#516774
snow report
uniqlo for value layers - especially the down waistcoats. http://www.uniqlo.com/uk/
latest report
Lidls kids ski stuff is in from Thurs this week
http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg//lidl_uk/hs.xsl/offerdate.htm?offerdate=35980
ski holidays
gregor the viking wrote:

The Lidl ski stuff is in tomorrow (29th November) and Aldi on Sunday 2nd December. I can highly recommend the Aldi 'soft shell' ski trousers. At around £17.99 per pair they are exceptional value. Mrs W and myself bought a pair each a couple of years ago and found them to be excellent.
latest report
TK Maxx have some great stuff but it can be hit and miss. Wife and 2 kids kitted out for £200 albeit we did have to go back several times. Best bet is to go early in the week, apparently they get new stock in on a Monday, so you get first choice before the weekend crowds. It tends to be last seasons or even the season before's stock but it's great value.
latest report
SkiMania.co.uk
Blush
snow report
Trespass have a perma sale on, can get good base layers for £7 a pop which you can use throught the year.

eBay has to be the best place though, salopettes for a fiver gloves/jackets etc...
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy