Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

boot size, marker baron bindings

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm thinking of getting marker baron bindings, they are available in 265-325 or 305-365.

Digging my boots out, they say 305 (on the side, near the heel)... so does that mean the larger binding size will be fine?

It seems the smaller size is less available/more expensive at the moment. Puzzled
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I would get the smaller ones. I was in exactly the same position as you when I got my Large Barons. The next pair of boots I bought, were the same size, but the sole length was 3mm shorter taking them below the minimum setting, and it was noticeable in making the adjustment that while it does hold the boot, it's not as tight as I'd like it.

There's also the aspect that you're adding extra weight in getting the Large. General advice is often not to use bindings at their limits of operation but that argument opens a whole can of worms so I'm not going to go into it.

Ski Bartlett had smalls in a while back, that's where I got mine from (and they are currently being swapped over, I should have the smalls fitted later today)
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ractys, definately get the small size
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
SkiBartlett definitely have them in stock in a Small : http://www.skibartlett.com/marker-baron-13-freeride-ski-binding-668-p.asp
(they also have the Duke too)
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I would get smaller ones to avoid being at the end of the range.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
never summer, Quite right, possibly give a smaller turning rate, the Baron also acts as a lifter .
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
if you're in alpine boots at the moment and later switch to touring/crossover boots then the BSL will often be upto 10mm smaller for the same mondo. Go small.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ractys, go for it on the Skibartlett site if they have them then that's a great price is better than the price I can buy them at!!!!!!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
livetoski, you need to buy better matey wink

ractys, if you can wait a little while until my new stock arrives I can do you a very good deal on some Barons. Or I've got some 11/12 small Dukes in stock for only a little more.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
cheers for your replies, i too would of gone for small but i found on google some large bindings and they were under 200 quid. Quite a saving.

I'm in alpine boots at the moment, i got into off-piste last year and (fingers crossed) i'm lucky enough to be spending some time in the alps again this winter so wanted bindings that will let me do some touring without needing new boots.

However, you raise some good points, especially about if i get new touring boots in the future, so i'll try and get the small.

Thanks!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ractys, I probably should have expanded on my "definately get the small size" response but I was posting on my phone.

IMO you are making a mistake getting the large size. Here's why:

Barons/Dukes are very sensitive to the correct toe height & forward pressure adjustment. I've never tested a pair of large with a 305mm boot but I've had customers bring me large Barons/Dukes for torque testing with 306/307mm boots & the heel piece wouldn't go short enough to correctly set the forward pressure.

You may be ok but make sure that whoever mounts them understands the sublties of their set-up & be prepared for the chance that they might not work.

The other thing to check is that there's sufficient thickness of the ski under the rear most heel plate screws as that's going to be a long way back as users of that length of binding usually have larger feet = taller = longer skis = more thickness in the mounting area. I regularly have to shorten the screw length on the rear screws of the large size for this reason.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
^+1
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi spyderjohn, I wasn't going to get the large, I was convinced of the small before. You raise some v good points though, there's more to it than I expected, so thanks
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy