Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France: Chamonix Valley 2012/13 snow report

Poster: A snowHead
A little late to the party but a couple of pics from last Sunday before the fog lifted.

MartynaS (blue jacket) and fixx (pink jacket) in the trees at Vallorcine:

MartynaS descending into the gloom:

Unfortunately, no pics from the powder frenzy at Le Tour later that afternoon, we were too busy skiing!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Zero-G, And mono ski ! I like the suite though. I think that could catch on... Was that Le Tour in the last photo ?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Looks like the Vallorcine side of Le Tour, only skied that for the first time the other day and it was great fun, was about three days after the snow but even then and on slalom skis had a bit of fun off piste, was thinking of whomever had posted about the powder fight when the clouds lifted on Easter Sunday. Definitely heading back there next time I'm stuck wth flat light but good snow.

Zero-G wrote:
Am heading over to GM to ski and also to enjoy the festivities for GM's 50th anniversary. Any other snowHeads heading that way today?

Alas, I'm home and done with Chamonix and indeed non internet skiing for another year, enjoy!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Zero-G wrote:
AndAnotherThing.., I see your fartbag trio and raise you....

One Lenny Henry:
[/url]

Lenny Henry?

This one?

snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
AndAnotherThing..,

i do believe you have managed to track down a hitherto unnoticed 80's classic.

The rear-entry Salomon SX 80 boot, didn't think i would ever see a pair of those again!!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Second pair I've seen recently. Maybe the same person?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thornyhill, good spot, I was thinking of Lemmy from Motorhead. Don't know why I typed Lenny Henry... I'll just blame it on the iPad's predictive text... wink

GM was sketchy today, to say the least...
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Zero-G, rubbish vis I suspect, despite forecast.

We got derailed by a bottle of Armagnac last night Embarassed
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Powder day in Cham today. More pics here http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=99742&highlight=

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sun 7-04-13 20:21; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm very close to booking a last minute, short trip to chamonix, leaving tomorrow back to the UK Friday morning.
Any reason why I shouldn't ? Looks to be warming up this week.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
under a new name wrote:
Zero-G, rubbish vis I suspect, despite forecast.

We got derailed by a bottle of Armagnac last night Embarassed

Vis okayish around the Magic Forest but it was all refrozen crud at that level. Just above was zero vis in thick cloud, scratching around on hardpack. Up top it was clear and sunny but not much soft stuff. Clouds only cleared around 3pm. We clearly weren't in the same place as BobinCH!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
sidlittle, depends on what type of skiing you have in mind... If you have skins, still plenty of good stuff. If not, be prepared for a certain amount of combat skiing.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Zero-G wrote:
sidlittle, depends on what type of skiing you have in mind... If you have skins, still plenty of good stuff. If not, be prepared for a certain amount of combat skiing.

Never used skins. I won't take my skis but hire them out there if I go. Is there any particular ski hire shop I should use in chamonix ? Any particular ski I should consider for dealing with the conditions ? I'm level 2 csia.

I've decided to have a glass of wine to hopefully influence me to book this..
Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sidlittle, conditions are variable depending on the altitude. At your level, you should be able to ski anywhere on any skis, so the closest hire shop to your accommodation is the best, to be honest. Most of the Cham hire shops have a good range, from piste to powder skis. Sorry, I'm know that's not the definitive answer you're looking for.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
sidlittle, Sanglard in town has a decent range and you can get a discount if you buy on line in advance. Also, if you ski Grands Montets ask for a Dynastar test voucher from the ski shop to the right of the lift base station and you can test out the new Dynastar range at the test centre at Lognan
latest report
BobinCH wrote:
sidlittle, Sanglard in town has a decent range and you can get a discount if you buy on line in advance. Also, if you ski Grands Montets ask for a Dynastar test voucher from the ski shop to the right of the lift base station and you can test out the new Dynastar range at the test centre at Lognan

Thank you very much!

The wine worked.. Flights booked
latest report
Today on the vb Wink

ski holidays
sidlittle, 59 minutes to go from maybe to flights booked. I was Shocked Shocked

What took you so long? Toofy Grin

Zero-G, I knew who you meant Laughing Excellent jacket. He needed a Stetson though
snow conditions
sidlittle, looks like you time that perfectly! A few snowflakes falling in town this morning and 40-70cm predicted to fall overnight and tomorrow. That said, the temps are still very warm...
snow conditions
Arrive on Friday for 4 days..looks to be pretty warm. Don't really mind as long as there's decent coverage and some sunshine over teh weekend...
snow conditions
Lovely spring corn snow above 2500m on Mt Buet yesterday
snow report
Snowing heavily at GM. Top car closed all morning. Now Hearse and Bochard closed too. About 20-30cm of fresh snow on top of frozen crud and visibility poor. (via SMS)
latest report
Skinned up above Col De Forclaz for 600m but then hit very high winds. Worse than a Tete Balme chair!!

Good descent amongst trees, amazing for April. Looks promising for when weather lifts but the wind had already wrecked the snow higher up .
ski holidays
Dumped a load today. Pouring rain at 1,000m and transformed at 1,300m+ when it dumped most of the day.

They closed most if not all lifts at Argentiere / GM by 1 pm and so we raced over to Les Houches to be greeted by average vis, but powder up to our knees down a couple of red runs and the entire piste to ourselves. Got soaked by the rain at the bottom but well worth it to get what we did. Never skied powder like that on piste!

VB tomorrow.
snow report
GM this morning😄😄😄😄
snow conditions
I'm heading to the UCPA in Chamonix on Saturday for a few days, looks like it's going to be warm and sunny by then, any advice for an intermediate skier on the best slopes to head for?
ski holidays
paule247,

Le Tour, more open than Grand Montet and will be less icy first thing than Brevent or Flegere.
We're still having fun, a bit more forecast for tonight.
latest report
Thanks for the tip, I'll head to Le Tour on the first day and, hopefully, regain my ski legs.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Following the tacconaz avalanche today, the Pghm have issued a warning.

"Given the amount of snow accumulated throughout the winter, and the particularly important warming observed, we invite you to the greatest caution outside secure areas and take all relevant information to the competent bodies before commit you"

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pghm-chamonix.com%2F2013%2F04%2F12%2Fmessage-de-prudence%2F&h=0AQG3pn4rAQH1yK-DyCHtpLxJmV6a4MS2UWIIKPcn87sq4w&s=1

Stay safe.
ski holidays
Took a chance and went to Le Tour today. Was a good call because there was hardly anyone there, the sun was shining and we got fresh tracks on every line we skied until 2.30pm (via SMS)
latest report
Update on conditions on Le Tour today: windblown, breakable crust on some aspects but mostly just creamy spring corn and hardly another soul there, so good for us! And that, dear Cham friends, was a very fitting end to my season (along with some aprés drinks with the Sole boys). I couldn't have asked for better, so adieu until next season snowHead
latest report
Zero-G, adieu. I've enjoyed reading your reports very much. snowHead Bon voyage.
ski holidays
pam w, I am sad to be going but also happy, if that makes sense. I like endings because they are the harbinger of beginnings.
snow report
Zero-G, Safe journey home snowHead
latest report
Zero-G, and we never ever drank together. This must mean you should do another season snowHead

Safe home, swiftly back,
snow conditions
Good luck zero g, I like the thought of the smile on your face the next time your ski pass beeps past a sensor and you're on your way to your first run of a new season of adventures in a new resort. The rest of us will be in work, you can rest assured. Tis a great life when it's good...
ski holidays
I don't do apres ski!
ski holidays
CH2O, arrr!
latest report
if Spar did apres ski...
snow conditions
Anyone done the VB recently and if so would you like to guess at the chances of it still being skiable at beginning of May?

snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy