Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Stiffest, Toughest Alpine touring, backcountry Boot

Poster: A snowHead
What is the stiffest, meanest boot with a walk mode, looking to blend my Salamon Lab boots and Dynafit titans into one do-all mix....?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'd have suggested the Titan, but that's maybe an allround boot from the touring side. Perhaps one of the Salomon Quest Max is the same concept but from the downhill side.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Tecnica Cochhise / Bushwhacker (if they fit your feet).
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Scarpa Mobe another possible contender - wide clownfeet required generally (walk mode not brilliant but good enough). Crispi used to do great stiff AT boots and think are making a comeback in that area this year with tech fittings thrown in
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Looking for something that comes up higher than the Titan, also i have small girly feet, are the Technicas wide as well?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
A bit of a random answer... I was looking for something similar myself but in the end I went for a pair of Full Tilt Classics (aka Flexons). They are not a touring boot, but they fitted me so well I went for them anyway with the intention of getting a "pure" touring boot too at later date. I tried a couple of "crossover" boots and found them too soft.

If you undo the top 2 buckles the Full Tilts look to be OK for going up hill (if anything there is less restriction/support compared to a wraparound touring boot in walk mode). The cables flap about so it is definitely a compromise, but for the odd bit of uphill I think they'll work OK. Some people even get vibram soles fitted to their Full Tilts for hiking; I'm still pondering this myself... This idea won't work if you have tech bindings though (I did see one blog where someone retro-fitted tech inserts himself... rather him than me).
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
any word on the blackdiamond or Garmont toys?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
New Dynafit Vulcans. Am definitely looking at them as a boot to buy this season.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Factors
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
what binding are you going to be using? I would make sure you got some boots with a dynafit type insert even if you dont go with tech bindings initially...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
dulcamara, Top end Quest might fit the bill
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
BD Factor by a country Mile. The new offerings from Tecnica are worth a look, however the plastic ain't that tough but tougher than first expected, would depend at what temp it was being used at. The New Dynafit range are good, but not in the same spectrum. Salomon's new Quest Max Pro looks awesome, hopefully the walk mech has been tweeked. Garmont have the Shogun. Lange have the new XT boot, limited walking but 'almost' no ski comprimise. And then there's 2014!!!!!! Cool
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Fattes13, Agree qiven the breif it's exactly that.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
CH2O, Have you had a look at the new maestrals?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
jbob, yes, not this profile, stiff for what it is but more middle range stuff, such as Vulcan etc, but beware, cuffs cover three sizes, so if your in the larger boot clog you'll end up with a short cuff boot. Nay bova if you've massive feet and short legs.
snow report
dulcamara, I tried to do the same with Factors from Nordia SM14s (the Nordia flex 130 stiff consumer boot), and they're nowhere near the same. The boots are OK (though stock liners worthless), but not the same stiffness as alpines.
ski holidays
DaveC, The new Factor 130? or the old green one?
snow conditions
Scarpa Hurricane is not far off the BD Factor stiffness level. I bought the Hurricanes last year, fitted by Backcountry UK in Ilkley. Boots and fitting were/are superb. Also bought some softer tongues for longer tours - really made a difference on a 2/3 hour skin.
ski holidays
If you're a tongue hugger in downhill mode then the Full Tilt's are a great option. I've toured in them and they're great for sidecountry and short tours.

If you're not a tongue hugger then the Dynafit TLT 5 Performance is the answer. Stiff as a stiff thing laterally. Unbelievably light and comfortable in touring mode.

They are my 'quiver of one' boot - instructing, playing, on-piste, off-piste, touring.
snow report
Mike Pow, What's a "tongue hugger"?
snow report
CH2O, yeah, 130s.
snow report
CH2O wrote:
Mike Pow, What's a "tongue hugger"?

If you ski with large flexion in your ankle resulting in your shins pressed against and resting on the tongue of the ski boot.

Evident when the downhill ski lags behind the uphill ski in the turn.

The Dynafit TLT 5 Performance boots are very soft fore-aft, I'm guessing an equivalent of 90-100 Flex. But laterally they're as stiff as the Lange plug (racing) boots I used to own.
snow report
CH2O, someone that skis pressing into the front of the boot at a guess versus someone that skis more in balance. The latter is for the most part more concerned with lateral than longitudinal stiffness.
snow conditions
Right, well that can of worms can be kept shut.
latest report
That's the second time someone's mentioned full-tilt... aren't they just for park rats.. are they actually going to give much back on piste or have they fully forgotten the old flexons?

I assume the TLT 5 is the vulcan, in which case, surely its softer than the titans? was thinking more along the lines of the garmont shamans with a walking switch...

touring bindings are Markers, alpine bindings are all sorts... so rubber soles are a no-go
ski holidays
dulcamara, marketed at... just get the stiff flex tongue. I think the usual applies here anyway, in the sense you're stuck with what can be made to fit your foot - remember AT boots are usually made with lighter plastics that aren't so pliable. I had to get 29.5 BDs rather than 28.5 Nordicas, and Titans just mocked my clown feet.
latest report
The new Lange XT boots look badass!
latest report
those lange xt low volumes might be taking the lead.... have always fitted my girly feet ok, holds like an alpine but wiggles like a touring boot, whats the bet they weight more than my leg?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
dulcamara, what's wrong with rubber soles? I had SOLE fit Vibrams to my race boots. They do many conversions like that for skiers much more talented (and hard core) than me. Made a splendid difference when wandering around.
snow conditions
not so worried about how my boots perform walking around, but i was refering more to touring boot soles that don't fit or at least respond so well to normal alpine bindings.

Not willing to risk my knees using sticky soft soles with race bindings. the XTs at least have a hard plate under the toes.
latest report
dulcamara, Wait and take a look at the Salomon New Quest Max Pro 130 later this winter, lots more ROM than the Lange and skis from the same prespective as your Labs.
ski holidays
dulcamara, one little thing to think about is that on marker dukes when used with AT boots you have to drop the toe plate down quite a bit to accomodate the rubber soles. This has the effect of decreasing the delta / ramp angle by a LOT and if you are sensitive to delta angle can really screw up your body position and put you in the back seat.
snow report
dulcamara, Something the right store will address for you in resort, so don't worry too much about it, it can be significant, but it's unlikey IME.
snow report
any thoughts about the Gamont DELIRIUM FR 130+ ?
snow report
dulcamara, Flower pots.
snow conditions
Garmont's own website says they are the "mac daddy of freeride boots"... so they must be good.... unless someone knows better?
latest report
dulcamara, I've toured in Flexons for years:

Week long tours too and not just day jobs. I've also done conversions for Mrs A and B too and they seem happy with them. For more details see this TGR thread started by Idris many years ago:

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/12032-Vibram-sole-on-an-Alpine-boot-%E2%80%93-DIY/page2

There's no walk mode but I've put a bit of rocker on the sole so it doesn't matter so much. On this year's tour we had about an hours walking at the end of the first day and, although my feet suffered a bit, they were generally fine.

If I were flush with cash I'd investigate the TLT5s but the Flexons fit me well and do almost everything I want. I only wish they had Tech inserts too.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 5-09-12 14:36; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
altis, never seen anyone ski on a work bench before... that's rad!

1,000 GNAR points for you Cool
snow report
shoogly, I'm sure that Shane McConkey will have tried it before me - with far more style too!
latest report
dulcamara wrote:
Garmont's own website says they are the "mac daddy of freeride boots"... so they must be good.... unless someone knows better?

Did you expect a manufacturer's website to describe their own product as "a bit crap"? What is 'mac daddy' supposed to mean, anyway?

I stomped around in a pair for a bit. Wasn't really interested. They're big and heavy, but they didn't feel as nice as regular alpine boots and they're a hell of a lot heavier than anybody else's "freeride" boots. I ended up with some Cochise 120s instead. Tecnica are making a 130 flex model this year.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy