Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Nearest ski resort to London

Poster: A snowHead
Jenniper, I think only Gatwick has direct flights on weekdays, plus Ryanair has Tuesdays and Thursdays from Stanstead. Plenty of indirect flights and at weekends there are some Jet2 and Easyjet flights from elsewhere in the country. I keep my eye on Salzburg flights so if anything else crops up I'll start a thread with details.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Listen, you lot - anything that involves flying to ski for the weekend from central London is a pain. The train rules. Before you lot get to the airport I'm already on my way through France, nice comfy seat with leg room, a decent(ish) bar, no worries about luggage or kit disappearing (I can see it), no additional charges for skis or boots or helmets (thanks EasyJet), no piddly little 150 ml packages, I can face my travelling companion and stretch my legs without risk to life or limb and sleep. I can also shop at the M&S at Kings Cross and take what I like to eat/drink for the trip (and breakfast).

I have flown to the Alps to weekend ski via Geneva and timed the transfers at both ends - it added up to nine and a half hours! And that was with no hitches and me driving like a loony down (and up) unlit alpine roads (trust me on the loony bit, more than one person will no longer get into a car if I am driving and I thought I was being quite well behaved at the time they formed judgement). Also I don't pay to sleep on Friday or Sunday night, just the Sat. You fly Friday, you pay to sleep Friday at the resort (or pay the price with sleep deprivation).

No contest.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
RattytheSnowRat wrote:
I have flown to the Alps to weekend ski via Geneva and timed the transfers at both ends - it added up to nine and a half hours!

Blimey! That's worth knowing. What are the timings on the train then?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
http://www.eurostar.com/UK/uk/leisure/destinations/direct_services/ski_train/ski_train_timetables.jsp
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hmm... ok.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
RattytheSnowRat, I don't like the Tarentaise.
T
Door to door London office via Gatwick or Heathrow to Chamonix, 6 hours. Hand luggage only, fast car checkin, job done.

You clearly do not plan appropriately.

Mind you, our current best time door to door from CHX to home is a blinding 45 minutes... Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
RattytheSnowRat wrote:
http://www.Eurostar.com/UK/uk/leisure/destinations/direct_services/ski_train/ski_train_timetables.jsp

Looking at that, the ski train only runs on Friday/Sat out of the UK and Saturday only out of the Alps. How does that help with skiing a weekend when you need to come back on a Sunday night and there's no train? Or have I missed something?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Raceplate, No, you haven't.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:
ie you live in Perth or Inverness and are unemployed.

Work in a summer seasonal tourist industry job that finishes with the end of October, having bought an early bird season ticket. Then sign on and claim housing benefit for winter. Laughing
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Alston

Easy access to Yad Moss and Raise (ish)
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I went skiing for the weekend couple of times before in Verbier and Chamonix, except I did not take a flight nor the train.

I left London after work on Friday night and drove to Dover for the crossing to Calais and down to Geneva, only stopped on the Autoroute for petrol, coffee and wash-room. On the slope in Verbier by around 10am easily. Skied Saturday and Sunday morning, started the return journey after lunch, in time for work on Monday morning. I had someone to share the driving, so it wasn't that bad.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Crusader, I can think of little worse than that!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Looking at that, the ski train only runs on Friday/Sat out of the UK and Saturday only out of the Alps. How does that help with skiing a weekend when you need to come back on a Sunday night and there's no train? Or have I missed something?

Yes, You change in Paris. You have to anyway to get the sleeper train.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
www.lescarroz.com
book your accommodation to your budget through their central reservation bureau
carroz sports or europ sports do good quality ski hire
choice of 2 good ski schools
large room at the top of the telecabine to dump your sandwiches where you can eat at lunch time if the weather is vile and you don't want to picnic outside
We ski as a family, with 2 children having ski lessons for £1500, but we do have our own skis and boots, and don't eat out ever...that way we ski twice a year.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
maggieleonard, welcome to Snowheads. You obviously have it taped. snowHead
latest report
kat.ryb wrote:
Bode Swiller, but then you use a full day of annual leave, and get one afternoon, one full day and one half day skiing. Fly to Genova late on a Friday night and return late on a Sunday night = 2 full days skiing and no annual leave.

No, the overnight train gives you 2 full days of skiing.

Something not mentioned that needs to be born in mind is that it is very hard in many resorts to get other than a full, Saturday to Saturday week.
latest report
Thankfully lift pass queues can be a relic of the past for a lot of resorts, after your first visit to the resort at least. Just recharge the ticket online in advance...even on the morning for many resorts.

I do sometimes forget though, or hedge my bets due to uncertainty in the weather or in case traffic going to one resort looks particularly bad so I reroute elsewhere.....although I generally regret it as I hit an hour's queue for tickets. It does really depend on where you go though and the time of the year, and even the ticket office choice in the resort itself can vary wildly in wait times.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy