Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

"Expert" ad vice please...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm 6ft, 13.5st and haven't done any off-piste skiing as yet, but can ski pretty much any black on the hill. Carving is also pretty good. I want to carry on blasting the pistes but also start venturing off-piste.

What length of ski would you say I should be looking at buying? (my first ski's - have been renting until now)
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Should have mentioned that I am looking at buying the 2006 version of the B2's.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
it's a toss up between 174cm and 182cm for you (05/06 sizes) - I'm 6ft - 13st and in april spent 6 brilliant days off/on-piste in zermatt on a 2004/05 170ishcm pair - they did everything I wanted - sweet skis - if pushed I'd say for you - get the 174cm - I think (yoiks an opinion) it'll be more versatile for you when used all over the mountain....
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cheers for the advice. Are the B2's fairly forgiving on technique?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
after penning 3 answers to your questions and then starting again - I'm just going to say, "yes" - compared to some other skis they are quite forgiving. Ducks for cover as "a tools only as good as who's using it" barrage erupts overhead wink
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Cheers again.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I am also looking at buying similar skis, and am considering B2's, Dynastar Legend 8000's, Nordica Hot Rod Nitrous, Metrons and Stockli Stormrider XL's. Will be testing some of the above soon.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm 181cm and just over 90kg (14st+). I got the Legend 8000s last year in 184 as I spend as least as much time off-piste as I do on. These are 116-79-102. The new B2s are 116-78-105, so similar area but a bit tighter turning radius, so may be better for piste blasting. I got the 184 because I found the 178s in soft powder sank just a bit too much. The 184s are perfect for me. I would think 174 would be too short for you off-piste, even given your slightly lighter weight.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If you still want to be able to do both I would stick with 174. I have skied shorter and am a lot bigger than you and got on fine!!

You want to stay adaptable - especially if you are not just an off piste skier. You will end up spending the majority of time on piste anyway I suspect so go with a bit shorter and compromise how good they might be off piste if you went a bit longer.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sound advice waitingforwinter. Would you recommend the new B2's for me as well?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Only skied on the old ones which seemed to do a pretty good job. Would not want to say definitely go for them without trying the new ones.

There are plenty of good alround skis around and it depends a bit on your ability. Do your best to try out a few different things if you can before you buy - buying out in resort is always a good idea if you can. Think around what you want to achieve. Some skis like the head xrc's are good all rounders - maybe not as wide for off piste but still very manageable. Also think about the Volkl supersports. You will get very good piste performance from skier cross skis and alot are ok for off piste once you get used to them.

The key for me would be how much time you are going to be spending off piste. If you are starting your first forrays into the powder I would err on the side of a piste ski that will get you through the powder but may not be perfect. you are never going to find a perfect all round ski so you have to compromise and it is worth doing it in favour of whatever you spend most time doing (or hire yourself a ski caddy to cater for all eventualities!!)

Enjoy the powder!

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Wed 5-10-05 14:46; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
GrahamN,
Quote:

I got the 184 because I found the 178s in soft powder sank just a bit too much

Go faster then ! Twisted Evil
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ski, would have loved to, but when the field you're skiing over is on the flat side there's not much you can do!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy