Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Plagne Montalbert 2015/6 (from page 9)

Poster: A snowHead
boredsurfin, i'm here until April 3rd snowHead
And not tried Yuge - i'm still in the steam age.

foxtrotzulu, presumably by Mountain Restaurants you reject all the marvelous places in Aime2000, Belle Plagne, or Montchavin (and possibly also Montalbert) - but maybe you will accept the Chalet Des Colosses?
And don't forget Le Sauget above Montchavin, now back with original owners.
Also, some of those Self Service places do serve up fine food. Les Inversens is well worth a visit, but go early or you will need to queue: food is cooked to order.
And slightly off the beaten track - you do need to do a bit of poling (good for working up appetite, fine for walkers) is Restaurant Le Dou du Praz. A super place for a leisurely lunch.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Jonpim, Yes, I wasn't including any of the places in Aime2000, Belle Plagne, Montchavin or Montalbert (not that I know them all). They may be marvelous but they don't push the buttons for being away from the resorts/towns/villages and truly up on the mountain.

I'm not familiar with Chalet des Colosses, but isn't that down at the bottom by the lifts in Bellecote? If so, then that's off the lift too.

Some of the self-service places may well serve great food, but particularly when there are a gang of us we much prefer to relax in the sun and have someone else do the serving. Nothing wrong with S/S, it's just a different thing.

Le Dou du Praz and Le Sauget both look perfect. I'll try them next time I go.

While you have pointed out a couple I have missed I still think there remain relatively few 'Restaurants d'Altitude' compared with many other resorts I havce visited. Maybe it's my imagination.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Le Petit Chaperone Rouge at 1800 (just above the beginning of the 1800 chair lift) is an amazing Savoyard restaurant. An old cow shed that is beautifully rustic inside, a sunny terrace outside and a fabulous menu. Not too difficult to get back to Montalbert I guess? Not quite 'up a mountain' but an lovely view of Mont Blanc and across the valley.

Also, Aux Bon Vieux Temps at Aime 2000 - just below the top of the 1800 chair. Again, not 'up a mountain' but fabulous views, large sunny terrace and great food

Smile Smile
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
chaletgirl, you beat me to it: i was going to mention those two - reminded today as we skied past both.

But i'm not sure they are eligible: foxtrotzulu wants his restaurants right up in the mountains.
So, now about Chalet de la Grande Rochette at the top of the Grand Rochette funiplange?

And, maybe he has a point: there are lots of excellent restaurants in La Plagne, but most of them are down at the bottom of runs rather than up the top. Just the way the place is set out, I suppose. And so much better for families and mixed ability groups to meet up.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@foxtrotzulu, Did you try Borseliers or Roc des Blanchets in the Champagny sector?
Both well regarded mountain restaurants and usually full most lunchtimes. I'd say they are preferable to the Verdon Suds restaurant.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Jonpim wrote:
chaletgirl, you beat me to it: i was going to mention those two - reminded today as we skied past both.

But i'm not sure they are eligible: foxtrotzulu wants his restaurants right up in the mountains.
So, now about Chalet de la Grande Rochette at the top of the Grand Rochette funiplange?

And, maybe he has a point: there are lots of excellent restaurants in La Plagne, but most of them are down at the bottom of runs rather than up the top. Just the way the place is set out, I suppose. And so much better for families and mixed ability groups to meet up.

I was having lunch at the Petit Chaperone Rouge today!! Its my daily physio at the moment to walk there for a hot choc or meet some instructor friends for lunch Smile But yes. Neither are mountain top. But as you say, La Plagne has a LOT of mixed ability groups and some of the really good higher up restaurants can be a challenge for newer skiers to come down from.

Mind you. We did sit and stare at the view today - it might not be mountain top, but the views are still lovely, even after nearly four months! Smile

skichampcouk wrote:
@foxtrotzulu, Did you try Borseliers or Roc des Blanchets in the Champagny sector?
Both well regarded mountain restaurants and usually full most lunchtimes. I'd say they are preferable to the Verdon Suds restaurant.

Never tried Borseliers but all the expats I know here like to stop there. I love the Roc des Blanchets - the view is FABULOUS! Smile
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi skichampcouk, good to see you are still around snowHead .
For some reason i had thought foxtrotzulu had included Borseliers in his list of approved places. Totally agree it is an excellent restaurant. Very friendly. We rarely eat there, but it is a regular Hot Chocky stop - it comes in big bowls, and they have doughnuts if you really want the full works.
Roc des Blanchets of course fails coz its self service rolling eyes
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Jonpim wrote:
Hi skichampcouk, good to see you are still around snowHead .
For some reason i had thought foxtrotzulu had included Borseliers in his list of approved places. Totally agree it is an excellent restaurant. Very friendly. We rarely eat there, but it is a regular Hot Chocky stop - it comes in big bowls, and they have doughnuts if you really want the full works.
Roc des Blanchets of course fails coz its self service rolling eyes

Damn - if I'd known they served bowls of hot chocolate with doughnuts I'd have stopped there before! That'll have to be on the list for next season Smile
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Jonpim, They will provide waitress service if you go to dine upstairs rolling eyes

We've just got back from England, went to see Adele at the O2 last night.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
foxtrotzulu wrote:
@boredsurfin, BTW, when driving up the road to Forperet in the dark we nearly killed/were killed by a dog the size of a house that decided it was Cerberus and was tasked by the Gods with stopping every car. Frightened the willies out of us trying not to run it over! I suspect it has previous!

BTW - sitting on the LA Roche chair I pointed out the cave with the 'bear' to a friend. Long silence before she finally says "You wouldn't want to ski too close to that!" 😄😄😄

The only dog I know of that would have met that description sadly passed away last summer, Bambi was a huge St Bernard and use to help Mateus keep his Huskies under control.
Maybe it was Bambi's ghost! Skullie

BTW. Its a wolf in the cave wink

Perhaps answering your question I was chatting to the chap that owns Boreselier a while back and he says that he would love to run a full service restaurant but simply the huge numbers he serves doesn't allow it, he would need a kitchen at least twice the current size. It will be interesting to see what develops at the top of the Monty Gondola at the mo the plan is a snack restaurant and a traditional restaurant.
Without trying to wind up the LA fans, I have never had an enjoyable food experience over there, where there seems to be so few restaurants on piste that they are all bombed out and the staff incredibly over stretched and rude.

Jonpim, I'll pm you when I'm there. snowHead
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We're out for a week starting this Saturday, thanks for the various tips on this thread about eating places even though its meant to be about the snow Very Happy
I've been past the Borseliers several times but never at the right time to eat, but must take some of our group there for the hot choc at least, by the sounds of things. Some are rather timid skiers, I wonder what the best way back to Plagne 1800 would be for them? I cannot recall what the Blue down Verdons to Plagne Centre is like - or is it better to go back up to Quillis and then down from there, poss to Bellecote where they can catch the bus?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@SteveM, Yep as you say, up Quillis and then to Bellicose up Colossus and then Plagne Centre and back to 1800 or get the bus from Bellicose
snowHead
OR from Borselier resto take a shortish walk along the edge of the piste back up to Verdons South chairlift and then back down to Plagne Centre, the top section of the Blue Verdons piste was re-profiled last year to make it more blue than it was....

From Borselier the Quilis route is a lot further.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
boredsurfin wrote:
make it more blue than it was...

Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
boredsurfin wrote:

Yes I had this feeling that last time I was there, it wasn't really a blue, it was one of those "we need a blue down from here, perhaps not mercedes, ah this will do!" when marking the pistes.

Thanks for the various advice.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

boredsurfin wrote:

If I'm not mistaken, that's where my now 12 year old had a meltdown on our second day last year, when he got stuck and the rest of our party was some way down the slope. I was directly across the piste (it was rock hard and impossible to cross in snowboard boots) shouting instructions for about 20 minutes until a lind lady helped him onto his feet. Happily, he was able to negotiate the same slope fine by the end of the week.

So I look forward to trying the new version when we go again in the first week of April. Can't wait!
snow report
The re shaping is best on the far side as you head towards the Red! The opening to the Verdons blue is now very wide, and the temptation is to turn left on to it straight away, so as not to go near the red, however turning immediately left on to it can lead to becoming stuck up the cliff face with smartarse skiers cutting across above you. Best approach is to go towards the Red and then turn left onto the blue, admittedly this may lead to a heart stopping moment if you have kids or beginners following you.... Toofy Grin

If the above is confusing download the YUGE app and have a look at the piste map on there and all becomes a bit clearer I hope snowHead
latest report
@boredsurfin,
Quote:

Bambi was a huge St Bernard and use to help Mateus keep his Huskies under control.
Maybe it was Bambi's ghost!
That'll be the one! Bambi's ghost Skullie Skullie Skullie Scared the willies out of me!!

@boredsurfin,
Quote:
If the above is confusing download the YUGE app
Is it any good? I downloaded the 3V app, which is brilliant. However, when I downloaded YUGE (which had crap reviews) it started by insisting that I either register or sign in via FB. I couldn't be arsed to do the first (or see why i needed to) and wasn't willing to sign in via FB, so I just deleted the app again.
snow report
YUGE is pretty good now with an excellent piste map and updates on key lift opening and closing broadcast from the piste control centre etc. You can link it to your pass and then see your days skiing apparently, I can't vouch for this bit as my pass number is so old it won't accept it!

@Jonpim, ah yes, sorry it was Rob@rar that was having the same problem with Yuge as I was.
ski holidays
SteveM wrote:
We're out for a week starting this Saturday, thanks for the various tips on this thread about eating places even though its meant to be about the snow Very Happy
I've been past the Borseliers several times but never at the right time to eat, but must take some of our group there for the hot choc at least, by the sounds of things. Some are rather timid skiers, I wonder what the best way back to Plagne 1800 would be for them? I cannot recall what the Blue down Verdons to Plagne Centre is like - or is it better to go back up to Quillis and then down from there, poss to Bellecote where they can catch the bus?

The red from Centre to 1800 (Les Mines) is a bit challenging for timid skiers. There is a 'blue' path but to be honest, that is narrow and icy and pretty daunting in itself as a result (I took a friend that way once because she didn't want to do the red but ended up falling on the ice and hurting herself). Apparently the way down is to the left at the top and to the right after the corner. Its not everso narrow, but can be scraped free of snow so feel icy and also 'lumpy' where the scraped snow is chucked into piles. Its not my favourite run, but its doable for beginners/timids with care and no rush Smile

TBF - depending on the snow conditions, the bus from Bellecote might be simpler but will take about 25 mins as it goes via Centre. From Bellecote, the Colossus lift will get you to easy access of the Bergerie run (between Plagne Soleil and Plagne Village) and then to Les Mines to 1800; or, come off at the bottom of the Bergerie lift and get the bus from there to 1800, about 5 mins Smile
snow report
You can also get down to 1800 on Lovatiere. It's a long way round, but using Colosses, Bergerie and Becoin, you can do the whole journey on gentle blues.

If you want a more direct route, the red 'Les Mines' direct from Centre to 1800 was in far better nick than the blue at the side of it, and is very short.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy