Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Plagne Montalbert 2015/6 (from page 9)

Poster: A snowHead
@boredsurfin, that's an interesting sample. Do you know the date for 2014/2015?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Here are the dates of the first natural snowfall in MONTALBERT (1350m) of each season for the last 11 years.

2005/2006 28th November
2006/2007 22nd November
2007/2008 7th November
2008/2009 29th October
2009/2010 08th November (not sure if accurate)
2010/2011 16th November
2011/2012 05th December
2012/2013 28thOctober
2013/2014 10th November
2014/2015 9th December
2015/2016 21st November
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Gämsbock, yep snowHead
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Looks like its raining now Sad
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It'll turn to snow shortly ...fingers crossed snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Loads of snow despite the rain
snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Snow waterlogged not skiable needs to freeze up and a new fall before skiable disaster next few days at least
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Snowing heavily in the village now snowHead
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sunset over Les Arcs and La Rosiere in the distance
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
What's the general consensus on how the new lift system is working out. i.e. the loss of Coqs, new gondola, and the need to ski down to La Roche every time. Is it a major PIA or not too bad? Does it add a lot of extra travelling time?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@foxtrotzulu, new gondola Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Loss of Coqs Sad Sad Sad

As it stands however it's still quicker to get to Aime than it was two years ago! New gondola takes circa 9 mins to reach the top of Fornalet, that used to be 20 minutes at best if you were very lucky
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Roger C wrote:
@foxtrotzulu, new gondola Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Loss of Coqs Sad Sad Sad

As it stands however it's still quicker to get to Aime than it was two years ago! New gondola takes circa 9 mins to reach the top of Fornalet, that used to be 20 minutes at best if you were very lucky

The lift company giveth and the lift company taketh away Very Happy Glad the overall effect is positive although I never like it when the options are reduced.

Looking forward to a few days in Montalbert in early March Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
A new lift called Envers will be open next Christmas running from Adrets up to Aime 2k. (It will be the old Montalbert lift hardware!)
Sooner the better imho the run down to La Roche is a PIA where else do you go that much lower to go higher. It was a multi million euro mistake to remove and not replace Coqs.
There are a few rumours doing the rounds as to why but fingers crossed all goes well this season and no one else dies on the narrow path down to La Roche Sad

@Roger C, The running time is listed as 7 mins, according to Yuge it is taking 6.75 mins last few times I have been up it Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:
@Roger C, The running time is listed as 7 mins, according to Yuge it is taking 6.75 mins last few times I have been up it Very Happy

Thanks boredsurfin

No wonder I was struggling to finish my boot faffing before we got to the top Laughing
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Roger C, Laughing faffing has to be done quickly now, only just made it on one trip this morning snowHead
snow report
Up in La Plagne the last couple of days. Off piste conditions not too bad - chalkiness in the shade, still some soft snow to be found, and sunnier aspects almost getting to spring snow!

On NF Bellecote Cairn was good on Weds - still soft snow, thinner than average but still variations possible. Canadians and PFN also getting a bit of traffic. Exit is good, though can't recommend the café just below the Centre Nordique (the usual one only opens next week) - we waited one hour and walked out still not having been given our food!

Bellecote bowl has lots of good stuff to play in/on still, Champagny side pistes were deserted in the most part and were still in good condition when we were heading back at close of play!

More photos and more detail here:

http://offpisteskiing.blogspot.fr/2016/01/steep-ski-coaching-jan-2016.html
snow conditions
Just leaving La Plagne. 30cms overnight and continues....
snow report
@hawkesbaynz, Awesome news, thanks Smile Be there soon. And more to come end of week I think !!
ski holidays
@offpisteskiing, Great photos, but you need to tweak the exposure on your camera.
snow report
scarbski, this is the Montalbert Thread (courtesy of Boredsurfin), and the opposite end of La Plagne from where offpisteskiing was having such fun (in all directions, both up-and-down as well as left-and-right).
Which bit of La Plagne are you going to?
No snow in Montalbert i'm afraid. Rain. Though the run down there was quite exciting - heavy snow makes for lots of bumps.
And snow line now even above us here in 1800 Sad
But at least wind not as bad as forecast - below 2000m that is - didn't manage to get much higher.
snow report
Rained lots at Plagne Centre too. Snow looks a bit heavy but there is plenty of it. Going clear now.

snowHead
latest report
@foxtrotzulu, fully automatic for me I'm afraid...

Had looked for a/the other la plagne thread before posting here but it didn't come up at that point for some reason... (SHs behaving a bit funny on the ipad currently)
latest report
Woman, sadly, died in La Plagne today.

May have hit a hidden treestump, or tree, off to the side of a bluerun.
snow conditions
Jesus that's awful, thoughts go out to her friends and family.
latest report
Report from the local paper http://ledauphine.com/savoie/2016/02/01/une-skieuse-se-tue-en-percutant-un-arbre

Quote:
A British skier of 52 years died on Monday morning, while she was changing a blue slope in Belle Plagne. According to the first elements of the investigation, she would have lost control of her speed, ending in a ravine before hitting a tree. Despite the rapid intervention of the ski patrol station, the unfortunate died of her injuries.
snow report
Jonpim wrote:
scarbski, this is the Montalbert Thread (courtesy of Boredsurfin), and the opposite end of La Plagne from where offpisteskiing was having such fun (in all directions, both up-and-down as well as left-and-right).
Which bit of La Plagne are you going to?
No snow in Montalbert i'm afraid. Rain. Though the run down there was quite exciting - heavy snow makes for lots of bumps.
And snow line now even above us here in 1800 Sad
But at least wind not as bad as forecast - below 2000m that is - didn't manage to get much higher.

OOps, thought it was LaPlagne and Montalbert thread.

I'm heading to 1800 on Sat and looking at the forecast its going to be much colder and up to a metre of fresh end of this week. (mind that's the Ski club forecast Confused )

Hopefully be powder all the way down to Montalbert, Smile I am an optimist tho'

Terrible news regarding accident.
ski holidays
@boredsurfin, Last time I was in Montalbert was in 2012. Any notable changes to the restaurant/bar scene since then?
snow conditions
@foxtrotzulu, apart from changes in operators and the odd re decoration not really, this December the Forperet opened a large extension, two years ago the same family took on the lease of Tournament in the village.
There will be a new restaurant at the top of the Gondola but not for another two or three seasons.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Good news there is to be restaurant at top of new Gondola - bonkers there's not one there already.

I still think the Forporet is in a great position, but poor value. Last month stopped for Hot Chocky - wasn't hot, small cup, and cost too much.
At La Roche you get a mug, it is hot, and cost less.
snow report
@boredsurfin, @Jonpim, Thanks for the update. Last time we were there Forperet was unbeatable as a place to have a sundowner when all the pistes had closed and we were on our way home down the mountain. The last 500 metres down the piste back to our chalet,p(after a couple of drinks) when there wasn't another soul on the piste and everything was bathed in early evening sunshine was all too brief but complete ecstasy.
snow report
@foxtrotzulu, Yep, that certainly hasn't changed Very Happy

@Jonpim, The restaurant at the top has always been in the plan, its just taking 3 years to get it off the ground (some say French bureaucracy, some say its to protect Forperets investment, some say its to protect the village bars/restaurants) but anyway the concession has been let by the Mairie to a famous restauranteur from Tignes Chef Jean-Michel Bouvier http://www.jeanmichelbouvier.com who will provide a traditional Restaurant and a snack restaurant.

Details, including some financials here, in French, from the Mairie meeting here, http://www.leforumdeparadiski.fr/viewtopic.php?f=79&t=4174&start=60#p97469
snow conditions
Just back from five days in Montalbert (Sunday 6th - Thursday 10th). Had a great time with near perfect conditions most days.

Removal of Coqs chair: Not really a big deal for us as the snow was good and crowds were limited (on this piste). Not sure it would be quite so nice in poor snow with more people. Good thing they are installing a Coqs replacement.

Forperet: still a lovely place for a drink, but an evening meal here was possibly a mistake. Food was very average.

Crowds: Montalbert sector was quite quiet, but we were surprised by just how busy the main La Plagne area was, bearing in mind the school hols wee over. Some lift queues were about 8 minutes. Too long for me! It seemed to thin a little later in the week, or maybe we just got better at avoiding the queues.

Mountain restaurants: never ceases to surprise me that La Plagne doesn't really 'do' mountain restaurants. A very few self service places (no thanks!) but you have to search long and hard to find restaurants actually ON the mountain. Verdons Sud became a regular lunch stop.

Montalbert: I still love this village. Much more charm than La Plagne.
snow conditions
foxtrotzulu, good you had great time - the place is indeed in excellent condition.
And the couple of centimetres last night will have helped keep it this way.
Crowds: yes, we have been surprised how many people around this week, but with careful planning you can avoid most of the queues. Like Blanchette then Verdon Sud as the way back to Plagne Centre to avoid a massive queue at Collosses - we are going to give the Belle Plagne magic carpet and then Col de Forcle drag a try as another alternative route.
Interesting you are fussed about an 8 minute queue but indulge in Mountain Restaurants - surely they are just another sort of long queue that wastes skiing time. And expensive. Sandwiches and a thermos of tea for me.
latest report
@Jonpim,
Quote:

Interesting you are fussed about an 8 minute queue but indulge in Mountain Restaurants - surely they are just another sort of long queue that wastes skiing time. And expensive. Sandwiches and a thermos of tea for me.

I don't think there is any contradiction there. When I'm skiing I like to ski. When I decide to stop for lunch then that's what I want to do. I never say to myself "What I'd really like now is to stand in a long queue for the telecabine" Sitting with friends in the sunshine with un serieux or pichet of Rose and a plate of tartiflette/diots/Salade Montagnarde etc. is about as good as life gets. Yes, mountain restaurants are more expensive than self-service canteens and more expensive than sandwiches and tea (tea!!!) eaten by the side of the piste or in a gondola, but then skiing to many/most people is about more than just the sliding down a slope. Sandwiches and tea sound utterly joyless, but then happily we all like different things - Otherwise I'd have to queue for a table at the mountain restaurant Very Happy
snow conditions
Agree, "sandwiches and tea" could sound rather joyless.
But think instead of pic-nic up in the mountains away from the crowds with a wonderful view.
Not so joyless now.
(and "tea" is mint tea with honey - what many mountain guides have in their flask - also have hip flask with rusty nail and lots of chocolate snowHead )
ski holidays
foxtrotzulu, Shame to hear about the food at Forperet, I wish I could say its not been said before this season...
Regarding proper restaurants, have you found Chalet Friolin https://sites.google.com/site/lechaletdufriolinen/ the foot of the Bauches Chairlift? It has had a Michelin star in the past, I don't believe it has one now - it changed hands a couple of seasons back. But gets very good reviews in some quarters.

Jonpim Have you managed to get Yuge to accept your pass number? I'm back a week today, I guess you will be back at work again by then - as per usual snowHead
ski holidays
Rusty nail? Unbeatable.

Unless you go for a Horses Neck......
ski holidays
@boredsurfin, Funny you should mention the Chalet Friolin. We were planning to go there for lunch on our last day but then realised we would be a bit pushed for time to get back to Montalbert in time for our airport transfer so had to cancel. Pity as it looks great. Next time, next time!

BTW, do you know why the LA Plagne area is so short if mountain restaurants? Apart from Friolin and Verdons Sud I can only think of a couple of self-service places (Killi's and the ghastly one at the top of Becoin). Other resorts are lousy with mountain restaurants. Is it a planning issue? "pardon, m'sieur. Nous avons vu l'horreur de Plagne Centre et nous manquons la confiance que vous ne le cock-it-up-again si je vous donne un permit de construire un restaurant d'altitude" Fair enough.
ski holidays
@boredsurfin, BTW, when driving up the road to Forperet in the dark we nearly killed/were killed by a dog the size of a house that decided it was Cerberus and was tasked by the Gods with stopping every car. Frightened the willies out of us trying not to run it over! I suspect it has previous!

BTW - sitting on the LA Roche chair I pointed out the cave with the 'bear' to a friend. Long silence before she finally says "You wouldn't want to ski too close to that!" 😄😄😄
ski holidays
@boredsurfin, BTW, when driving up the road to Forperet in the dark we nearly killed/were killed by a dog the size of a house that decided it was Cerberus and was tasked by the Gods with stopping every car. Frightened the willies out of us trying not to run it over! I suspect it has previous!

BTW - sitting on the LA Roche chair I pointed out the cave with the 'bear' to a friend. Long silence before she finally says "You wouldn't want to ski too close to that!" 😄😄😄
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy