Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sestriere - opinions?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi Folks,

Starting to think of 2013! And maybe heading to Sestriere.

Any opinions?
How good is the snow (most likely mid-January)? What is it like for nervous intermediates? Seems like a LOT of red runs everywhere - how do these compare in difficulty of the runs in Espace Killy where I have skiied before (I know many of the runs in EK are grossly under graded).

Thanks
TS
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Probably for nervous intermediates it may well be ...... errr nervie! The EK is vast and you can't generalise re grading! Why are you considering Sestriere? If there is a particular reason then fine but other resorts in the Milky Way may be better suited depending on what you are wanting! Let us know no doubt you will get the collected opinions of your fellow snowHead s!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Milky way reds are not as difficult as EK from what I remember. Snow Christmas 2010 was excellent and seems the season (2010-11) was a good one, however from what I read last season (2011-12) wasn't very good for snow on that side of the Alps.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you are a nervous intermediate, then Sestriere is not the place for you. You should opt for some other place to go skiing. You will get many good places to go to in mid-January but it is better to make an early reservation. You won't want to be late at every place you apply to.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you want to do Milky way, then Montgenevre / Claviere is better - however getting around beyond Claviere isn't that practical in my mind and I'm a fairly fast skier but those slopes will fit you to a T
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
dsoutar wrote:
If you want to do Milky way, then Montgenevre / Claviere is better - however getting around beyond Claviere isn't that practical in my mind and I'm a fairly fast skier but those slopes will fit you to a T

agree with above - montgenevre / claviere are excellent for early / nervous intermediates...went with the OH (she is rather nervous) in april and we loved it, so much that we're going back in Jan! lots of lovely cruisy blues / reds, tree lined etc.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Agree with dsoutar, Montgenevre might be a better place in the Milky Way area (and is certainly prettier). I agree you may not find you want to go all the way to Sestriere from there. Just get a Monts de La Lune (sp?) ski pass and pay the supplement if you go beyond one day.
I'm an advanced skier looking for good off piste for which it is also good, and we generally only go as far as Sestriere once, or at most twice in a week.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snowball wrote:
Agree with dsoutar, Montgenevre might be a better place in the Milky Way area (and is certainly prettier). I agree you may not find you want to go all the way to Sestriere from there. Just get a Monts de La Lune (sp?) ski pass and pay the supplement if you go beyond one day.
I'm an advanced skier looking for good off piste for which it is also good, and we generally only go as far as Sestriere once, or at most twice in a week.

From what I remember you get 1 full day on the milky way as part of the Mont de La Lune pass anyway, plus a day at Serre Chevallier too.
(might be wrongly remembering but I think I'm right lol)
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Now you mention it I think you are right, jellemr.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have been to Sauze D' Oulx several times and always ride over to Sestriere. I think a nervous intermediate would be fine here. There are lots of open runs and the reds are not as difficult as some of the reds i have ridden elsewhere.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
To be honest I don't know if Montgenevre or Sauze D'Oulx / Sestriere is more suitable for difficulty of runs but I just think Montgenevre is nicer.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Urban_freestyle, I imagine that a nervous intermediate would have trouble on the runs at Borgata and Sestriere! They have some good world cup and olympic courses there! Sauze would indeed pose less of a problem to those of a nervous disposition! But there are other places in the Milky Way area that may be better suited, once the OP gets back to us and gives us a clue as to what they are looking for! But I would not take a group of nervous intermediates to Sestriere as there are far better choices depending on the group! Indeed your place of Cervinia is a perfect spot for nervous intermediates. With it's long cruisy bluesy runs and great food!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The only issue with Cervinia is the weather..... when it's good... its damn good.... when the wind picks up.... the lifts shut, the piste gets VERY VERY VERY VERY icy and the pow gets crusty Crying or Very sad
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy