Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Gets Jan 2013

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Planning a trip to Les Gets in Jan 2013 for a family group containing mostly early intermediates and one cautious beginner.

We are fairly flexible on what week in Jan we would go, and have been considering Jan 5-12 - but I am interested in people's opinions of the snow record in Les gets for that time.

I have skied in Les Gets before in good and bad snow and love the place - would we be fairly snow secure in early january? Puzzled
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

would we be fairly snow secure in early january?

impossible question to answer. I have skied in Les Gets in January three times. Once it was warm and sunny and the snow was pretty poor as a result, though still skiable. Once it was hugely snowy and extremely cold - barely made it up there, even though the road isn't a hilly one. Once the snow was good, but we had half a week of heavy fog so couldn't see much of it!

It's a quiet week; good one to choose. You could always wait and do a last minute booking when you can see how the snow is shaping up.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Oh - get them lessons with BASS; top quality.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w, thanks for this. We will have to book well in advance so here's hoping! Great tip on BASS - friends used ESF at Les Gets before and were not hugely impressed...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
BASS are excellent, I have had 2 January weeks that were good enough,and a December one that was OK. Nice place, ideal for cautious beginner in the bowl, so can meet up for lunch. Book it and have something to look forward to.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Les Gets was very warm (~10-15C) when we were there a couple of seasons ago, and it had been that way for several weeks. As a results there was a few grassy patches and the resorts runs tended to be a bit like porridge towards the end of the day. Having said that, it was still perfectly skiable and there were no problems with the slopes higher up. Plus there is plenty of snow making too (if its cold enough). Failing all that you can just get yourselves over to Avoriaz which is snowsure given its altitude. I'd say Les Gets is a good bet for beginners and intermediates too, I remember the piste grading being quite generous.....not too many surprises. wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks pam w, Tordi, and blahblahblah, whose advice we have followed - and BOOKED Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
5RED, have fun!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
5RED, excellent! We shall be there all of January and some years we get our best skiing then. It can be extremely cold, but not usually as cold as the middle of December.
As well as BASS you can look at Les Gets Ski School - http://www.skischool.co.uk/ - Tim Scott is very good
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
^^2nd that. Tim Scott taught me (when he was at BASS).

Skied Les Gets/PdS 6 times, 5 of them in that 2nd week in Jan. Had everything from icy cold -23C to rainy +8C (once), but we managed a full 6 days on snow every time. Mostly it was "normal skiing weather".
Want to go there again now.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Nice one! Enjoy!!!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy