Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Maintenance work progresses at two of England’s outdoor ski centres.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
In the North Pennines we’ve been busy at Yad Moss this summer with various projects, in preparation for the ‘season’.

We’ve widened some of the fences to enable the Kassbohrer to piste more of the tow track. We’ve repaired other fences and replaced certain sections with a more efficient design. We’ve also been busy adjustingd some of the fenders to make the Pomas deflect around the pylon wheels more smoothly.

My task has been to apply waxol, cunningly, to the pylon arms to ensure that drops of grease fall squarely onto new Goretex jackets. We’ve also added some extra heating and some DC lighting to the club hut to avoid fidgeting around with head torches when the generator is off.

And we’ve spent a fair bit of time grass cutting. Probably not necessary in Val D’Isere but at Yad Moss we need to cut the grass to make small amounts of snow look more impressive. It also makes a big difference to the utility of our runs bringing ‘a hard frost’ within feasible range of skiable condition.

The big project this summer was supposed to be the replacement of the Poma drive wheel. The existing wheel is showing signs of corrosion and the intention was to repair it. However the risk of distortion through welding meant that replacement was a safer option.

So we looked in our attics, under the stairs and round the back of our garden sheds and eventually sourced a second hand T50 Poma awaiting disposal in Southern France. The plan is to send a small team down there with a van, purchase the drive wheel (which comes attached to the gearbox), and load up with any other useful bits we can find.

It’ll be touch and go now whether we can get the drive wheel on before the really nasty weather arrives. Having carefully avoided all the good weather this summer we’re bound to end up on top of the pylons in the horizontal sleet of November.

Here are some pics of excellent conditions at Yad Moss last March
http://www.thepriceofcheese.com/Gallery/pages/_MG_1413.htm

Across the Eden Valley over in the Lake District, maintenance has also been progressing at England’s highest ski tow on the slopes of Raise. The Lake District Ski Club is for the keen since the approach is about an hour’s walk and 1500 feet of vertical accent from the car park.

Unfortunately the Club’s insurers won’t allow them to sell day tickets. However dedicated Snowheads who don’t mind earning their turns, are welcome to join for about £25 per year with £5 per day lift ticket or a season pass of £20.

Here is the website : http://www.ldscsnowski.co.uk/

Damage to the bull wheel caused by a wayward Poma last winter, has now been repaired. We’ve also continued to touch up some remaining painting and carried out maintenance to the Millennium Hut.

The really important news is that we were able to get an airlift of fuel up to the generator hut and should now have sufficient supply for at least the next 2 seasons.

At the end of October the big job of re hanging all the snow fencing will begin, hopefully in time for the long range forecast of snow on high ground after Guy Fawks night.

I’ll try to keep this thread updated when/if skiable snow arrives.

If it does I look forward to seeing some Snowheads again this winter.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Peter S, in all the years I've read about homebaked British skiing I don't think I've ever read a pre-season report like that (maybe I've missed one or two of your earlier efforts). Really fascinating to understand the lengths you go to to maintain the ski areas, and source spare parts for a Poma - I guess many are being dismantled these days, so hopefully you'll always have a ready supply.

Wishing you a good winter ....
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Very Impressive Peter,

I wish I had somewhere over here to potter about with through the summer. Wishing you a great season.

John
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Peter S,

Some great pictures at Yad Moss during march.
I was past Yad moss during the summer and looked quite good considering there was no snow!

but If I am up at my parents during winter and there is snow I will try and pop across if it open.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Peter,

What do you use to cut the grass? Strimmer or something larger?

I have a field at home that I have cut quite short with a tractor mounted mower, but intend to give it a going over with the ride on the get the grass very short, just in case we get a decent dump of snow.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Good luck with the forthcoming season Peter S - I trust you have bountiful snow! snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Johnboy,

We use a motorised grass cutter which we tow behind a quadbike.
However I did notice that Kassbohrer do one of these as an accessory ! http://www.pistenbully.com/english/index.php?nav_id=3&thema=sonder&navigations_id=3&I_ID=9&inh_id=9&TOPIC_ID=59&tops_id=59

By the way I seem to remember that about 10 years ago there was a proposal for a ski tow in the Mountains of Mourne. Presumably it didn't come to anything Puzzled
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Peter S,

Nothing in the Mournes that I know of, they are about 80 miles from me. Top elevation 850m.

I vaguely remember something about The Ulster Ski Club having a portable tow that they used in the Sperrin Mts. Not as high but probably get more snow.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy